Need info on hatching a pinktoe egg sak

Effie

Arachnopeon
Hi, I'm new to the world of arachnids and I'm looking for some information and or advice. So the female pinktoe tarantula that I had adopted came to me pregnant apparently. I've tried to do research and ask the owners of the reptile store for information on this but got very little. It was around the 28th of September the sack was laid I have since removed it placed it in a separate container in her terrarium where it has been for about three weeks. I've seen on the internet people that then open the sack at around a month and put the babies in an incubator. I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do and I can find a little information on any of this. Please any info or advice on what time to open the sak. What to do with the spiders how to make sure they don't eat each other, what to put them in, what to feed them ect all that would be greatly appreciated thank you Effie

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Tarantulas sometimes make phantom sacs. It's likely nothing.

If it is legit, it's probably wasted now. You have to rotate the sac by hand often if you pull it right away.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I’d open the sac to see whats in it. If it is indeed viable then yes you’ll need to wuickly make an incubator.

It is probably a phantom sac though, and even if it was fertilized its probably no good as they require constant turning multiple times a day.

cold blood

Staff member
the female pinktoe tarantula that I had adopted came to me pregnant apparently
It would be gravid, not pregnant. Pregnant is when a fertilized egg is growing...gravid means there are eggs, but are not fertilized, as a t does that as the eggs are dropped.

It was around the 28th of September the sack was laid I have since removed it placed it in a separate container in her terrarium where it has been for about three weeks
If you have taken the sac and just had it sitting there for 3 weeks, its almost certainly been destroyed.

Egg sacs NEED to be rolled or turned. We typically take sacs 20-40 days after dropped (depending on the species), upon doing this, the sacs are immediately opened and the eggs, EWLs or first instars would be put into an incubator.

I've seen on the internet people that then open the sack at around a month and put the babies in an incubator.
yep.
. What to do with the spiders how to make sure they don't eat each other, what to put them in, what to feed them

Typically they don't start eating until they are second instar (2i). Many species can still be together for a time period, but generally within 10 days of becoming 2i, they will be ready for their first meals.

This is when they can be separated. Avics can go into a 16oz deli cup with wood and plants around that wood...good ventilation and a water dish...keeping the substrate primarily dry.

Feed them pretty much anything....avics for me do best with small crickets, most other species I offer pieces of mealworms (diced crickets, roaches, wax worms or even cricket legs also work just fine, I have even fed bits of chicken and fish)...
avics seem to key on movement more than most others when small, so I either use crickets or roaches as they offer the most movement..

Effie

Arachnopeon
Wow your a ray of sunshine thanks
It would be gravid, not pregnant. Pregnant is when a fertilized egg is growing...gravid means there are eggs, but are not fertilized, as a t does that as the eggs are dropped.

If you have taken the sac and just had it sitting there for 3 weeks, its almost certainly been destroyed.

Egg sacs NEED to be rolled or turned. We typically take sacs 20-40 days after dropped (depending on the species), upon doing this, the sacs are immediately opened and the eggs, EWLs or first instars would be put into an incubator.

yep.

Typically they don't start eating until they are second instar (2i). Many species can still be together for a time period, but generally within 10 days of becoming 2i, they will be ready for their first meals.

This is when they can be separated. Avics can go into a 16oz deli cup with wood and plants around that wood...good ventilation and a water dish...keeping the substrate primarily dry.

Feed them pretty much anything....avics for me do best with small crickets, most other species I offer pieces of mealworms (diced crickets, roaches, wax worms or even cricket legs also work just fine, I have even fed bits of chicken and fish)...
avics seem to key on movement more than most others when small, so I either use crickets or roaches as they offer the most movement..
So

yep.

So sayg

yep.

S

yep.

Well I'm pretty irritated with the reptile shop guy( who told me to do this as he has done it before). I should have just done the research myself . But say for some reason there is still a chance of survival. What should I do now.if there is still a chance I don't want to just give up on them

Effie

Arachnopeon
Poops I think I posted the reply in the wrong spot, let me know if you got it please

arachnoherp

Arachnosquire
If its a pet store pinktoe i wouldn't count on the sac being a phantom, especially since 9 times out of 10 pet store ts are wild caught pinktoes included so its quite possible she bred in the wild and made the sac in captivity. Id tear it open and see if anything inside is salvagable asap before mold sets in and kills anything left.

Effie

Arachnopeon
How can I tell if any thing is salvageable? I tore it open there is no mold only tiny eggs and I can see the little embryos inside I made a incubator. But now what are they no good? I don't think they have grown much since she layed them.

arachnoherp

Arachnosquire
Look at a few incubators on youtube and set them on it. Youd want to gently move the incubator side to sid to roll the eggs every day. If theres no mold you may have lucked out but i would wait until all of them qre in plain sight.

cold blood

Staff member
How can I tell if any thing is salvageable? I tore it open there is no mold only tiny eggs and I can see the little embryos inside I made a incubator. But now what are they no good? I don't think they have grown much since she layed them.
Are the eggs loose or stuck together...generally if not rolled, they clump.

That said, by this time, if things were going well, you wouldn't, or shouldn't have eggs, you should at least have EWLs (Eggs With Legs).

Effie

Arachnopeon
They are loose not in a stuck together in a clump. Its really only been a little over 3 weeks are they no good at this point? Do you know of any links with any sort of info on this?. They are not moldy but maybe they just never did anything or maybe it was a phantom sak...? I'm sad about this I was hoping there was little cute babies in there

arachnoherp

Arachnosquire
Keep them, id try unil i notice theyre actually dead. Not clumped up or moldy and embryos can still be seen is pretty good sign but i could be wrong

cold blood

Staff member
They are loose not in a stuck together in a clump. Its really only been a little over 3 weeks are they no good at this point?
Egg sacs need to be rolled, 3 weeks sitting there is a virtual death sentence...which is why we let mom keep the sac for a while typically.

Now I was misunderstood as to the timing (I thought they were pulled after a few weeks, then sat for another 3), if they are good, you would start seeing development very soon...but I wouldn't hold out hope...all you can do is keep them in an incubator and wait.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
So a question that relates to this, if someone pulls the sac early and transfers to an incubator, do they need to rotate the eggs in the incubator by swirling it a few times a day, or will the eggs develop fine just sitting there without being swirled?

cold blood

Staff member
So a question that relates to this, if someone pulls the sac early and transfers to an incubator, do they need to rotate the eggs in the incubator by swirling it a few times a day, or will the eggs develop fine just sitting there without being swirled?
People taking them right away often make a mechanical incubator that rotates the sac....the sac would then be opened in 20-40 days.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
I thought I'd seen where people break the sac open right away and throw the eggs in an incubator. I may have even done this, but it was awhile ago and I don't remember how long the sac had been with mom. When I did it, I know for a fact that I swirled the eggs every six or eight hours which was a pain. I'll try to find where I'd read about all this when I get the time.

cold blood

Staff member
When I did it, I know for a fact that I swirled the eggs every six or eight hours which was a pain
Yeah, that's what you would need to do...waaaaaay more work than literally every other method you could possibly use....so much easier to let mom take care of it for a certain period of time....mom usually does things best....which is why some breeders just leave things to hatch with mom and gather the slings afterward....I've done that a few times and had zero losses every time.