Need Ideas

Esherman81

Arachnoknight
My girl wants a new pet ..She has jumping spiders and praying mantis :). She told me she wants something new and different that she can watch and she can enjoy .

The wolf

Arachnolord
Wolf spider,tarantula,silkworm Anthia sexmaculata other large beetles,ants the possibilities are realy endless

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
D818A8F5-534F-464A-8651-3A6741C5CBF7.jpeg
I thought about beetles but what kind of large beetles can you have in the usa ?
We have two native species of dynastes, as well as many desert species that do well. (Pretty recently we also allowed goliathus species but not sure they’re well established in the hobby yet) I would suggest checking out bugs in cyberspace for a variety of them.

Personally I’m going to recommend roaches! They’re easy and fun to keep, and can actually be really cool and beautiful. Attached is a photo of a pair of Lucihormetica verrucosa, one of my favorite species.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Dynastes grantii, Dynastes tityus, and Lucanus elaphus are some of my favorite U.S. beetles. I usually breed them every year. They can hold on to human skin pretty hard if they want to. They are really strong and if they latch on too hard they could break the skin. I've gotten sick from not wearing gloves when handling big species due to them being housed in organic/decaying matter. I'd get some big roaches for her, there are many different species are available.

Esherman81

Arachnoknight
View attachment 261371

We have two native species of dynastes, as well as many desert species that do well. (Pretty recently we also allowed goliathus species but not sure they’re well established in the hobby yet) I would suggest checking out bugs in cyberspace for a variety of them.

Personally I’m going to recommend roaches! They’re easy and fun to keep, and can actually be really cool and beautiful. Attached is a photo of a pair of Lucihormetica verrucosa, one of my favorite species.
Where would I ever get a goliathus I have never seen them for but over seas ..ever they're so amazing looking

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Where would I ever get a goliathus I have never seen them for but over seas ..ever they're so amazing looking
Unfortunately like I said, while they’re now allowed in the US, I haven’t seen any being bred anywhere. Hopefully someone will get on that soon enough.

Esherman81

Arachnoknight
Dynastes grantii, Dynastes tityus, and Lucanus elaphus are some of my favorite U.S. beetles. I usually breed them every year. They can hold on to human skin pretty hard if they want to. They are really strong and if they latch on too hard they could break the skin. I've gotten sick from not wearing gloves when handling big species due to them being housed in organic/decaying matter. I'd get some big roaches for her, there are many different species are available.
Unfortunately like I said, while they’re now allowed in the US, I haven’t seen any being bred anywhere. Hopefully someone will get on that soon enough.
:) oh good ...love too see them in the hobby :)

Esherman81

Arachnoknight
Awwww sorry you got sick ..

Esherman81

Arachnoknight
Just keep that in mind especially since the pet is for your girl. There also is ways to pick them up that does not require them to latch on to you.
yep :)..I used to have a couple but never held them ..just had them in my living room too watch .