need help with substrate for Desert Hairy

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
I need to set my tank up, for a Desert Hairy. I want it to have the option of burrowing, without the burrow caving in. I have heard that a small amount of Bentonite clay works, but I cannot find any here. Is there something else I can add to the sand, so that the burrows can be made, and will stay?

Thank you in advance....

Peace,
Gillian

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
You can try mixing some peat in with the sand. I am currentyl experimenting with anout 10% 'cellu clay' mixed in with the substrate. The cellu clay is basicly cellulose...looks like powdered paper...any way...My curent/new desert hairy substrate consists of approximately of 50% sand, 30% paver underlay, 10% peat...all 3 of which were purchased at Home Depot...the final 10% is the cellu clay which I got at a Michaels(craft/hobby) store.

I used a clean bucket(no deteargent residues) to mix it in batches which I added water to as I mixed everything together. THis keeps down the dust though I would still recommend wearing a dust mask. The water also allows the substrate to stick together and therefore increases the stability of the borrow avoiding collapse and the joy of digging out an annoyed or possibly injured scorp. Once you have a batch mixed pack it into your enclosure adding terrain/rocks/wood(clean) as you may wish. I have a flat rock with hidden supports to avoid collapse should they undermine the entire thing.

I will have to post a pic of my recently re-done enclosure.

John
];')

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
John,
Thank you. Does this work? No collapses or anything, with yours? I was planning on putting a layer of gravel first, before the substrate. Also, some straws, so that I can keep the substrate moist enough for burrowing. (just a tiny bit of water)

Peace,
Gillian