1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with scorpion care...

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Lettuce, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Lettuce

Lettuce Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hi there,
    I have never owned a scorpion before but there are two species I am interested in...
    -Hadrurus Arizonensis
    -Pandinus Imperator

For the desert hairy, I am wondering if a 10 gallon tank would be good with excavator clay and play sand for substrate/burrows? Also, do they need some source of heat like a bulb or mat or can I keep them without heat? Do they need many surfaces to climb or do they just like to burrow? How often do I feed?

For the emperor, is a 10 gallon tank good with coco fiber substrate? Would they need some source of heat either? Do they like to climb? How often do I feed?

Which is better to start out with?

Is there anything else important worth noting?

Sorry for all the questions but I am wondering their care and trying to see what I need to do...

Thank you!

2. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

The Hadrurus can be kept at room temp. Bone dry sand and clay but you can offer a small water dish.

3. Prophet

Prophet Arachnopeon Active Member

4. FatherOfScorpions

FatherOfScorpions Previously Sempiternal7 Active Member

A 10 gallon tank would be good for either species and the substrate you mentioned will work good. Neither species will climb vertical. Both should be fed every 7-10 days and should have a shallow water dish of some kind. P.Imperator needs to be kept in a humid enclosure (80%) which requires misting and keeping the substrate moist.

As far as supplemental heating goes, if temps drop under 70 degrees during the day then it would be a good idea to provide a heat lamp with a red infrared bulb. Heat pads don't work very well, but if you use one, ensure it is on the side of the enclosure and not the bottom. Desert hairy's can be kept at room temps and can endure fairly cold nights.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. darkness975

darkness975 a Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

+1 to what @FatherOfScorpions said.

My Hadrurus spp. do not have any supplemental heating and they endure temps in the mid 60s at night in winter no problem.