Need help with my sling! (New owner)

dinodude

Arachnopeon
Guys all this help is so much appreciated! You made me feel more comfortable about keeping and caring for a tarantula and Im gonna follow your tips and experiment more in the future so that I could learn more stuff. As of now it started getting down more often and just walk around. It developed a huge black spot on its abdomen, is that a sign of pre-molting? It was there when it got here but it was tiny. Now it covers around 40% of the abdomen starting from dead center.

I'm really careful when using the heat mat when ambient temps fall below 20c inside my room. My thermometer sitting right next to the enclosure always stays at around 21-22c so Im guessing inside its around 25ish? I hope so. Didn't feed it since I started posting here, cause it might be in pre-molt stage. What do you guys think? Thanks for everything!

Gia sou apo nea york
Greetings to New York as well my friend! Are you greek?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Guys all this help is so much appreciated! You made me feel more comfortable about keeping and caring for a tarantula and Im gonna follow your tips and experiment more in the future so that I could learn more stuff. As of now it started getting down more often and just walk around. It developed a huge black spot on its abdomen, is that a sign of pre-molting? It was there when it got here but it was tiny. Now it covers around 40% of the abdomen starting from dead center.

I'm really careful when using the heat mat when ambient temps fall below 20c inside my room. My thermometer sitting right next to the enclosure always stays at around 21-22c so Im guessing inside its around 25ish? I hope so. Didn't feed it since I started posting here, cause it might be in pre-molt stage. What do you guys think? Thanks for everything!
Yes black spot means moult is imminent! Its the new cuticle you see! Hormones and the whole process makes it so you can see the "new skin" through the old!

dinodude

Arachnopeon
Hello again you guys! This again another question for little tiny sling! So basically the first picture is from last week and now it kind turned darker and is a little less active. Didn't try to feed it since I'm suspecting that is in pre-molt. Is it true? The black spot on the abdomen grew larger and now even the legs turned darker! Any specific tips for slings in pre-molt?

52586547_497615740645848_5788404858784579584_n.jpg 53246911_366671080839978_3058160699235631104_n.jpg

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes it is the satea! I didnt read carefully enough, was thinking of an adult spider when i wrote it. Hmm!

dinodude

Arachnopeon
So its not? The black spot wasnt there a week ago. Should I try to feed it? It got a lot darker thats why Im thinking that it is in premolt.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Of course, you could try to feed it. Use a prekilled item and remove it after 24 hours if it's not been eaten. You can't overfeed a sling, they put everything they eat into growth.
Water is more important than feeding, though. Just make sure part of the substrate is moist or/and add a tiny water dish.