Need help with my sling! (New owner)

dinodude

Arachnopeon
Hello guys, I just got my very first tarantula sling (Brachypelma Emilia) and I'm pretty much terrified about caring for such a small creature. I have some experience with exotic animals but its the first time I own a tarantula.

I got my sling 6 days ago, and it hasn't eaten since then. Its fairly small (almost 1cm) and it runs away from alive dubia roaches (same size) and Im not sure if it is eating the prekilled roaches. I always remove the roach the day after. Also it is kinda cold in Greece right now since its February and my house sits at around 16-17 degrees Celsius during the day, but I use a really weak heat mat a few centimeters away from the enclosure to keep the temps at around 20-22 degrees at day and I have aircondition on at night to keep temps at around the same temp.

My sling keeps climbing to the side of the enclosure that the heat mat sits and refuses to climb down. It only burrowed once when I had it in a much larger enclosure the first day it arrived. But since then I moved it in a small enclosure since everyone told me that they need small enclosures when they are slings. I keep one side a little wet to prevent it from dehydrating but I dont know if its normal behavior for it to not get on the ground!

Is it stressed? Why doesn't it eat? Is it way too cold for it? I don't want to make any fatal mistakes so if anyone can give me some advice I would be really thankful!

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
How big is the enclosure You have it in? At that size a 2oz deli cup is fine keep it on dry substrate and just wet one part of the substrate. I feed my tiny slings mealworm with the head crushed and leave it overnight, keep in mind as it is a tiny sling they will moult more often so it could jst be premoult and that's why it's not eating. Post some pictures of the setup and I'm sure you will have plenty of people willing to help and welcome to the hobby

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Those speicies can be little shy with larger prayitemswhen slings. I also suggest some type of mealworms, buffaliwoms or small zophobas. You can use dead prayitems of course! I use to do that sometimes! Dont worry if it is not eating in a couple of days. The important thing is that it has water. I spray inside walls of enclosure so that slings can drink the droplets! Good luck!!!

Justin H

Arachnosquire
It's normal for your T to refuse food, especially if it's in pre molt. Neither of my Ts have eaten for the past 12 days.

Try cutting a small mealworm in half and throwing the butt-end in there. If it doesn't eat after 24 hours, wait another week and try again. Look at some pictures of other slings to get an idea of what a skinny one looks like, that might put your mind to rest.

I understand the anxiety as a new owner. I've been dealing with it myself! A couple ago I was stressed because my tiny L. difficilis sling was refusing food for 10 days and made a thread about it. What's helped me with my anxiety is developing a better understanding of Ts. They really just want to be left alone. I know you're worried about it being stressed out... but you're certainly going to stress it out by constantly opening/closing its enclosure and throwing feeders in there.

Also, it's highly recommend to use a space heater/otherwise heat the room rather than using a heat pad. Heat pads are notorious for dehydrating/cooking Ts.

dinodude

Arachnopeon
How big is the enclosure You have it in? At that size a 2oz deli cup is fine keep it on dry substrate and just wet one part of the substrate. I feed my tiny slings mealworm with the head crushed and leave it overnight, keep in mind as it is a tiny sling they will moult more often so it could jst be premoult and that's why it's not eating. Post some pictures of the setup and I'm sure you will have plenty of people willing to help and welcome to the hobby
Some pics of the enclosure. If its in pre-molt, it should have burrowed right? But it only burrowed once when I had it for one day on way way larger enclosure. Why does it hang out so high up? What should I do?

52441773_2213892798860392_3166971097224577024_n.jpg 52586547_497615740645848_5788404858784579584_n.jpg 52259337_1974868362808402_5156763715281879040_n.jpg 52353297_351228872395838_2638642269585932288_n.jpg

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can do nothing. Best thing is to leave the spider alone as someone stated! Only check that the substrate is moist! The spider is A eigher in premoult? B Getting settled down in new enclosure? C Not hungry? I personally dislike the substrate you use, but many uses it! I am sure your little sling is ok! Try to feed again in a week if it is not moulting!
Spray carefully the inside of enclosure so that droplet forms on the walls of enclosure! and the spider can drink! Especially before a moult it is vital that the spider is not dehydrated! Looks a little dry in there!?

And yes, they can moult without digging! Kind of commen!!

Last edited:

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I would try and find a smaller enclosure, or more substrate in that one bring it up to just under the air holes it looks perfectly healthy though and quite fat so I wouldn't even try and feed it for a couple of weeks but by the looks of it you've done everything right so probs just needs some time to settle in

dinodude

Arachnopeon
It was moister a few days back but someone told me that Brachypelma species require dryer substrate. So basically it looks ok right? I will add more water today on the walls, but its not uncommon that it doesn't for a week right? Should I stop worrying then?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, but slings need slightly moist sub! You cant compare a sling to an adult spider! Slightly moist!!! But also important to spray for drops of water! Thats how i do it. Many sprays the sub so the sling can drink from the substrate, but you risking it to be soaking wet that way! Spraying on the walls is my medecine!

dinodude

Arachnopeon
Guys thank you so much! I feel so much better! I cant wait for it to molt and gain some size! Again, thank you guys!

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Guys thank you so much! I feel so much better! I cant wait for it to molt and gain some size! Again, thank you guys!
Any time we're all here to help each other out, don't take any advice from care sheets on the Internet or any pet store you will get the most up to date info on here

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Enclosure looks very adequate to me. It's settling in -- I am hopeful. Agree with making one side "SLIGHTLY moist" (not wet mud) suggestions.
Welcome to T land! It may be just settling in first (or ready to moult -- didn't see size re: dark plump rump).
Best of luck and welcome to the hobby! These AB is a treasure trove of excellent information! :)

cold blood

Staff member
It was moister a few days back but someone told me that Brachypelma species require dryer substrate. So basically it looks ok right? I will add more water today on the walls, but its not uncommon that it doesn't for a week right? Should I stop worrying then?
Slings should be kept on damp sub....this is true for the vast majority of slings not from Africa.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
A sling of that size doesn't need much in terms of food yo have enough to last it through the next molt. If it has been eating prey its own size, it is just full right now ;)
Don't expect too much in terms of growth after it molts though :D

Mitchel

Arachnosquire
Hello guys, I just got my very first tarantula sling (Brachypelma Emilia) and I'm pretty much terrified about caring for such a small creature. I have some experience with exotic animals but its the first time I own a tarantula.

I got my sling 6 days ago, and it hasn't eaten since then. Its fairly small (almost 1cm) and it runs away from alive dubia roaches (same size) and Im not sure if it is eating the prekilled roaches. I always remove the roach the day after. Also it is kinda cold in Greece right now since its February and my house sits at around 16-17 degrees Celsius during the day, but I use a really weak heat mat a few centimeters away from the enclosure to keep the temps at around 20-22 degrees at day and I have aircondition on at night to keep temps at around the same temp.

My sling keeps climbing to the side of the enclosure that the heat mat sits and refuses to climb down. It only burrowed once when I had it in a much larger enclosure the first day it arrived. But since then I moved it in a small enclosure since everyone told me that they need small enclosures when they are slings. I keep one side a little wet to prevent it from dehydrating but I dont know if its normal behavior for it to not get on the ground!

Is it stressed? Why doesn't it eat? Is it way too cold for it? I don't want to make any fatal mistakes so if anyone can give me some advice I would be really thankful!
Tarantulas usually need some adjustment time before they're ready to eat. My B. emelia didn't eat for weeks after I got her, but one day I put in a prekilled superworm, and she snatched it right up, so I fed her again the next day, as well, and she's been eating fine ever since. Given, she's not a sling. But my G. pulchra sling also took forever to eat. In my experience, slings tend to be a lot more skittish than juvenile or full grown adult Ts, so it's entirely normal for them to be scaredy cats. I would say just put a prekilled feeder in there and wait a little while. I would also experiment with different types of feeders. Ts can be picky, sometimes. My G. pulchra only eats mealworms, for example. There's also the possibility that your sling is in premolt. When they're in premolt, they don't eat until after molting, and even then you should wait until their fangs have hardened to feed them again.

As far as the climbing goes, that's also to be expected from a T just getting used to their current environment. I've rehoused my G. pulchra several times, and she's climbed for a few days each time I've rehomed her. She eventually finds her way back down each time.

I can't really comment on temperature, since I'm also a beginner and my home is generally perfect temp so that's never been an issue for me, but if it's climbing near the spot where the heatmat is, then that seems a little telling to me. Heatmat's aren't usually necessary, but if it's freezing in your house, then that might be a good idea. I would suggest getting some type of thermometer to make sure the heat is regulated, however. You wouldn't want it getting too hot or too cold in your T's enclosure.

cold blood

Staff member
if it's climbing near the spot where the heatmat is, then that seems a little telling to me. Heatmat's aren't usually necessary,
Mats can be used, but not in conventional fashion....direct heat sources can be killers. A t gravitating toward heat is not telling anything....ts are drawn to heat like a moth to a flame, and like the moth, often drawn to their detriment....not because of any need.

To use a mat, the best method is to use it to heat a larger enclosure, and place the t enclosure within it. This turns a direct heat, into a safer seconfary heat. It also eliminates a hot spot to draw a t onto.

A user here from the UK places foam on the side of the enclosure, and the mat on the foam to dissapate heat....similiar concept.

Mitchel

Arachnosquire
Mats can be used, but not in conventional fashion....direct heat sources can be killers. A t gravitating toward heat is not telling anything....ts are drawn to heat like a moth to a flame, and like the moth, often drawn to their detriment....not because of any need.
Ah. I didn't know that they were naturally attracted to heat. I learned something new today. Always trust the moderators to know the most about Ts. Like I said, I can't properly comment on the temp thing because temp has never been an issue to me. So do as Cold Blood says and ignore my comment about the temperature, lol. I should probably stick to talking about what I know.