male or female?

• male

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • female

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

chasethorn

Arachnopeon
So after searching the forum and reading threads, I still can't grasp the concept on how to visually sex aT. My 2 1/2" avic molted but not knowing how to really see whats what on the molt (Also the fact that it is very small and I'm blind in one eye) I kinda messed up the molt....

So please, if anyone has an idea what he/she may be, I would be very grateful and thank you in advance!

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
not knowing how to really see whats what on the molt (Also the fact that it is very small and I'm blind in one eye) I kinda messed up the molt....
Here is how to prepare a molt for sexing:

Using sharp scissors, separate the abdomen from the rest of the exuviae. Then fill a small dish with water, and add a drop of dish soap. (This decreases the surface tension of the water, making it easier to rehydrate the exuviae. Otherwise, it just tends to float on the surface.) Add the abdomen, and push it below the surface. Let it soak for 2-5 minutes.

When it's done soaking, you should be able to easily untwist the abdomen. I find that if you cut off the section below both pairs of book lungs (this is not needed), the section you do need will stay open. Otherwise, it has a tendency to fold in on itself.

You may find this video by @z32upgrader helpful: that is where I got the helpful tips on adding a drop of dish liquid and cutting away the parts you don't need. It also shows what area to focus on when taking photos.

Example of usable exuviae photos:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Just forward of the first set of book lungs is the epigastric furrow. It's usually described as looking like lips with a defined slit in the middle.. This species is pretty easy to vent sex but not all species are..

I have an A.seemanni that I can't figure out still.. I have given up on attempting to vent sex Grammastola completely.. Lol

Your best bet would be to browse the sexing gallery on this forum. It will help familiarise you with what females of various species look like.