1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEED HELP or advice please!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Dawsy14, May 6, 2019.

1. Advertisement
    Hello, I am in desperate need of advice, and I would appreciate if anyone could help me.

I have a GBB sling, and have had it for just over a year. However, July last year was the last time I fed it. It refuses it’s food, so I assumed it’s in pre Molt. But I’ve been told that this sort of species of T is a fast grower, so why is it taking nearly a year to molt? I don’t know if it’s something I’m doing wrong, or it’s completely normal.

I would appreciate if someone could get back to me. Thanks

2. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

A year without moulting seems a long time for a sling of this speicies. But all are diffrent. Is it eating and behaving normal othervise? If it does, it is meerly a waiting game

3. Since I’ve had it, it’s molted twice. I’m a beginner to the hobby, and I did some research and the GBB was ideal for beginners. So I’m unsure if I’m the reason why it’s not molting. It hasn’t eaten since July last year.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2019
  4. I don’t have first hand experience with this species but a year for a sling not to molt is a very long time.

You need to post a picture of the setup, it will make a world of difference.

Just guessing right now but the enclosure could be too moist or maybe the food item is too large for the spider or it simply doesn’t want to eat it. (I have avics that won’t touch mealworms, no idea why)

a picture of the enclosure is what’s really needed right now

5. Vanisher

I have! In a year they normally goes from slings to large large juveniles

6. I’m new to this site so trying to figure out how to upload pictures. Think I’ve done it now

This is what it looks like aswell

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2019
  7. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnodemon Active Member

I don't see anything wrong, it looks fine to me. Even if it's been a long time since it ate or molted, it's plump which looks fine and healthy to me.

8. I appreciate and thank you all the your replies.

9. Well some people have species like the homoeoemma Chilensis (old euathlus sp red) that have matured in just a couple years. Females, not just males. These are usually VERY slow growers, like a 1/2” sling for 2 years slow....

I have 2 slings bought at the same time and one is close to 3 times the size of the other and they have been fed the exact same.

My point being, even the “fast growers” will have exceptions.
    As long as it’s a good size abdomen wise it should be ok.

10. So it’s nothing I’m doing? The enclosure is good the T? Thank you for your reply, it helps me a lot as a beginner

11. It looks fine to me.
    Just make sure the substrate isn’t absolutely drenched or dry.

Just make sure it’s got good ventilation.

12. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Fat T looks fine

Would increase sub height

13. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

What temps is it being kept at? Cooler temps slow things way down.

14. lazarus

lazarus Arachnosquire

It doesn't seem that fat too me, have you tried feeding it after it first refused? Perhaps try with different feeders, crickets and lateralis roaches ussualy get the best feeding responses. At that size a GBB should molt every 2-3 months.

15. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

Are you positive it has not had access to feeders, maybe left in the enclosure? That is one plump spider.

It is very fat.

16. i keep It at room temperature, and most of the times I have my heating on. I’ve tried feeding it plenty of times, and it just refuses it. I’m 100% it doesn’t have access to any food. It’s been the same size for almost a year, and still no change. So I’m completely baffled.

• Sad Sad x 1
  17. Vanisher

Im a little baffled too. This speicies normally griws pretty fast, but this maybe can vary from individual to individual. But as i wrote, they normally goes from first instar to juveniles in a year. But all you can do is wait

18. That was one of the main reasons why I brought that type of specie was because I heard it was a fast grower. Was debating on changing its enclosure. Seeing if that has any affects. However, it’s molted twice before so very unsure!

19. Vanisher

One thing you can be joyful about is that itmost likely will be a female as sliw as it grows