Need help on San Diego scorpion ID

Thongy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
While working in the bio lab a teacher found this scorpion and I asked if I could have it. Hopefully one of you guy's will know what species it is ;D. IMG_0326.jpg IMG_0327.jpg

Sorry for the iPhone pics!!

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That right there is Arachnis deathicus!

Just kidding, it looks like a desert hairy scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis), but I am having a hard time with the pic.

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
Haha u know Arachnis Deathicus = death by spider :}. Agree with Laoticus, pics are quite blurry... Cool scorp tho

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think it is a Paruroctonus spp. based on the general morphology, especially the grayish legs and the reddish chelae tips. I don't believe H. arizonensis inhabits California.;)

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think it is a Paruroctonus spp. based on the general morphology, especially the grayish legs and the reddish chelae tips. I don't believe H. arizonensis inhabits California.;)
They have been found to inhabit Southern CA.

Edit: I just saw your new pics and they are not Hadrurus arizonensis. Looks like a Vaejovis sp. for sure.

Last edited:

RyanW

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It looks like a Vaejovis spinigerus " Striped Devil". Cool scorpion that stays small and can be pretty active.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They have been found to inhabit Southern CA.

Edit: I just saw your new pics and they are not Hadrurus arizonensis. Looks like a Vaejovis sp. for sure.
Then I was wrong. Thanks. I thought that they would not be very abundant there.

I would agree that it definitely looks like a Vaejovis spp.