Need help! Not growing have bumps

jmantaco101

Arachnopeon
I have had two Heterometrus swammerdami for 8 months – got them very small (still small). They have not really grown or molted yet. They are also covered in all these white bumps is that normal?

Attachments

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I'm no expert on scorps, and I only have two P. imperators, but those white "bumps" don't look normal? If I'm understanding what you're referring to, it looks like whatever it is, is all over the enclosure... Like some kind of infestation?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I think it might be mites?
Are they moving around? If so, I think you may be right. But that'd be one crazy infestation of them, I've never seen them en mass like that. And I'd be concerned with how they're blanketing your scorps. How long have they been like this?

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
It definitely looks like mites to me and as said before that is quite the infestation if so. Possibly get some closer pics to confirm
If they are in fact mites - you'll want to throw that substrate away and possibly bake your next batch of substrate before putting it in their tank. As far as getting the mites off the scorpions - a damp Q-tip can help get a bunch of but id suggest doing that while they're in a temporary enclosure and not after the tank is filled again with new substrate or you'll have the same nightmare allover again

Xaratos

Arachnopeon
Personally it looks like sand stuck to them while they were wet and then it dried to their exo, I'm sure if OP saw these spots moving he would immediately assume mites and ask the question differently, the way its sticking and clumping to the glass/plastic very much looks like sand to me also, like there was a thick layer of it before it was mixed up. It might piss them off but you could spray directly on top of them and see if any of it comes off.

jmantaco101

Arachnopeon
Thanks all. I had them 8 months and they haven't molted yet. As far as the bumps on them they don't move or anything so it might be substrate stuck to them. I do have white mites in my soil which I am trying to get rid of.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those are definitely mites, likely to be grain mites, prob Acarus siro, real common in the hobby. You can control populations by keeping dead invertebrate parts out of the terrarium and adding isopods. Do a search on this site for "grain mites", you prob can't read it all. Rather than control populations, you need to start over, get new substrate, then work on keeping them under control. It's almost impossible to completely get rid of them but it can get to a point where you don't see any. They stick to inverts in a stage called "hypopis", the theory is that they do that for transportation, might be a trip to more food. They can last for months, in dry conditions in that stage. It takes a long time but you can do it, keep it clean in the terr. I think they starve and die on the inverts exo if they don't have anything to eat, then the scorpion will molt the dead ones off. Though molts also trigger them to move and get on the old exo. It's a really old topic, tons of info with a search.

jmantaco101

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the info - does anyone keep there scorpions on shelf liner? I have a bearded dragon on shelf liner and he is doing really great plus it is really sanitary.

Also what about not molting once in 8 months at such a young age / small size. They are only like 2 inches.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The molt time may be a little long, I don't keep up with molting time-lines, I have a lot of swammerdami btw. Yours may survive but even though those mites aren't parasitic, they "stick on" with something like microscopic suckers in the hypopus stage and transform into looking like a tiny limpet. I've seen it and it appears irritating to them. Basically it's unhealthy, so they don't eat as well, it just slows everything down. They may not detect food as well, they get all over their mouthparts, things like that. That many will cause problems. If I were you, I would change the substrate and find some really strong reading glasses, or not if you can see them well enough. Hold them down somehow and scrape as many off as you can. I use a scalpel and/or a dental tool I found at an army surplus store. It took a long time but I'm glad to say I don't have that problem anymore.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My God that is one severe mite infestation. I'm amazed the stress hasn't killed the scorpions by now.

@jmantaco101 no shelf liner. They have to be on substrate so they can burrow.

With as severe an infestation as you have there you'll have to start over with all need substrate. Clean the decor and the scorpions.

Because that is a humid species and thus requires moist substrate you will have to make the removal of leftover food remains a top priority. Don't let the water dish get scummy.

jmantaco101

Arachnopeon
My God that is one severe mite infestation. I'm amazed the stress hasn't killed the scorpions by now.

@jmantaco101 no shelf liner. They have to be on substrate so they can burrow.

With as severe an infestation as you have there you'll have to start over with all need substrate. Clean the decor and the scorpions.

Because that is a humid species and thus requires moist substrate you will have to make the removal of leftover food remains a top priority. Don't let the water dish get scummy.
How do I get the mites off the scorpions it seems like hard dry sand on something stuck to them? Hoping everything just comes off when they molt?

jmantaco101

Arachnopeon
The molt time may be a little long, I don't keep up with molting time-lines, I have a lot of swammerdami btw. Yours may survive but even though those mites aren't parasitic, they "stick on" with something like microscopic suckers in the hypopus stage and transform into looking like a tiny limpet. I've seen it and it appears irritating to them. Basically it's unhealthy, so they don't eat as well, it just slows everything down. They may not detect food as well, they get all over their mouthparts, things like that. That many will cause problems. If I were you, I would change the substrate and find some really strong reading glasses, or not if you can see them well enough. Hold them down somehow and scrape as many off as you can. I use a scalpel and/or a dental tool I found at an army surplus store. It took a long time but I'm glad to say I don't have that problem anymore.
They are very small about 2 inches and look very fragile i would feel uncomfortable scraping them with anything. It there some sort of solution like vinegar or something that would get the mites off them but not be harmful to the scorpions?

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
As cold blood said in your other post:
Shelf liner would not be appropriate for any tarantula.
Or any other invert, for that matter, scorps included.

When you get the sub changed and (hopefully) are able to get the mites off your scorpions (have you tried warm water and a soft paint brush or q-tip? Not sure cuz I've never seen an infestation this bad), you should really think about introducing springtails or isopods to help keep the enclosure clean and prevent such an explosion of mites. Good luck and keep us updated on the situation.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
How do I get the mites off the scorpions it seems like hard dry sand on something stuck to them? Hoping everything just comes off when they molt?
Isolate the scorpions into a Kritter keeper or some such container and use a wet cotton swab to stroke them off.

Additionally , line it with mostly dry paper towel and provide a water dish of some sort. They'll leave the scorpions in search of the water . They are hydrophilic. You have to dry them out without dessicating your scorpions . This is easier with arid species obviously but in your case with an infestation that bad they will die without intervention.