1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help! Living near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Elliott, Mar 17, 2019 at 9:57 AM.

1. Elliott

Elliott Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hello everyone! My name is Elliott and I currently live in the Philadelphia area of Pennsylvania. I have been doing research for roughly a year now to get my first tarantula. A little background, I’m an experienced fish and shrimp keeper (a little experience with inverts). I’ve been trying to find someone locally who is breeding tarantulas or a reputable place I can physically go to for my first tarantula as opposed to ordering online.

I’m looking for help to figure out if anyone knows of a place I could go or if I would be okay to get my very first tarantula online. For my first tarantula I’ve beeb looking at getting a chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, Avicularia pupurea, Caribena versicolor, or any other new world arboreal tarantula.

I know on this forum there are some posts made by folks from around my area, but no one has really discussed best practices for getting a tarantula in this area.

Any advice would be greatly appareciated or any best practices! Thank you very much to anyone who reads this!

2. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnobaron Active Member

I recommend you check out FearNotTarantulas, because they have most of those T.'s you're looking for and they are a very reputable seller. You can also check this forums for sale/trade/buy section here on the boards as well. Other places you can check out are Jamiestarantulas as they too are also very reputable as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnobaron

Ohio
    If you want to purchase locally, I'm sure Philadelphia has expos, but in most cases I recommend ordering online.

Check out the classifieds here on the forum, you'd be amazed at what you can find.

It is perfectly fine to get your first tarantula online, I did back when I started.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SavageCritter

SavageCritter Arachnopeon

PA
    Yup, thirding the suggestion to get one from FearNotTarantulas or similar. If there's a tarantula club in your area, that could also be a good place to meet some more experienced keepers. I'm in PA, myself, but a few hours from Philly.

5. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Best prices will always be online....same goes for selection.

There are so many great sellers in the classifieds here its incredible. And all sellers here are required to have a corresponding review page so you can but with confidence. You can even message those people that left reviews if you like, another perk of the forum.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. louise f

louise f Arachnoangel

Indeed. You forgot to mention yourself dear friend. <3 ;):kiss:

• Love Love x 1
  7. Elliott

Elliott Arachnopeon

Thank you to every who has responded! It’s greatly appreciated! I guess my first order of business from here is to check that section here to see what I can find!