Need Help In Keeping SilverFish As Pets...>

sean2222

Arachnopeon
Hi does anyone collect silverfish as pets? If so, any tips on feeding them something they might actually take (and not ignore)? For such "hungry" creatures they sure seemto go right past anything I put for them to eat and I have tried sooo many suggested things from the net... And also do you have any advice on how to store them and keep them comfortable and healthy. I have had 99% of mine all die within a week. It's the same old story and a very depressing one as I have read they are supposed to be so "hardy" and can go without food, water, etc for a year. And can live around 8 years... Yet everyone (except one presently) has started out looking healthy, fast, smart, elusive, but over a week's time weakened, slowed down, started moping around instead of moving 24/7. And then suddenly had movement problems where there bodies are all over the place (can no longer walk smoothly or fluently) and they NEVER recover from that point on... They all followed this same awful pattern and I know I must be doing something wrong here in keeping such a "hardy' creature as a pet...
Thanks.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Have you tried dog/cat food? I collected two silverfish that lived about a month, and I'm pretty sure they ate the dog food.

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
Mine lived with my hissers, even bred in those conditions. Oatmeal, cereal, and flake fish food make a good base diet, and the enclosure should be watered lightly every few days. They have a pretty small appetite, so don't worry if you don't see them eating. The length of their abdomen is a better indicator of how healthy they are.

What kind of temperature and humidity were you keeping them?

sean2222

Arachnopeon
Check your pms. Thanks.

---------- Post added 10-17-2015 at 07:52 AM ----------

Pleas check your pm's. Thanks.

---------- Post added 10-17-2015 at 07:52 AM ----------

Please check your pm's. Thanks.

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got about five of them in a small jar, whenever I find one I put them in the jar with the rest. They seem to be doing fine on dust (I wipe my counters with my fingers every few weeks and just wiped it into their container) and a few drops of water on a tissue now and then. I also have a small amount of cardboard and a feather in there. It's been a month or two, maybe more and they all seem fine.

Eric

sean2222

Arachnopeon
Hello. I am just now seeing all the responses again! I am STILL trying desperately to keep silverfish as pets. They all died within a week for no reason. I noticed that they seem to lose their dark body color when they are getting weaker/sick. Then when they die they look shriveled up into nothing in size and or very light (body color) like ghosts when they started out much darker in the beginning!

Please help me! I am down to one last fish and he was one who I loved more than any of them. Smarter, faster, just a perfect pet. But he too is sick now. He is trying so hard to recover. I need anyone who can tell me what to feed him/give him to help him get stronger again and recover. Also to feed other silverfish. The guy who said he kept 5 of them in a jar, are they still alive now? Because anytime I kept more than 1 of them in a cup (I store them in plastic cups in my bathroom) they always seemed to attack each other and one or both of them were dead within 2 days. So how do these fish ever coexist with any of your collections? They always seem to kill each other.

Another thing I noticed is when I have a few in cups next to each other they are always talking/communicating with each other. And they will actually go to sleep in the same body position as the other fish they see next to them! It's as if they are mirroring the other "friends" of theirs! Yet they are NOT supposed to be social creatures.

But please someone help me cure this poor fish. I am so sad as he was the best silverfish I have ever caught! I felt so close to him (and still do).

Anybody, please help soon...>

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I haven't been able to culture silverfish. I've kept them alive for a while by offering them torn-up corrugated cardboard to live in. I think they may eat the starch in the glue or something. Despite keeping them alive for a couple months on a couple of occasions, I've never been able to get them to reproduce in captivity. I think it must be rather difficult or they'd be as popular as firebrats which I continue to culture with not too much trouble for several years running now. They aren't big feeders. I offer a few fish food pellets, a bit of marshmallow and maybe a little bit of carrot. This is like once per month and then a very light misting of the enclosure.

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
Apparently silverfish prefer to eat foods rich in polysaccharides, which can be found in materials such as wallpaper glue, wallpaper, flour, and other plant fiber/starch materials. They also prefer a more damp and dark environment, although they can survive in a very large variety of temperatures and humidities.

antsman

Arachnosquire
Funny enough I've had one in a small container for over a month now. He has molted and seems very healthy.
I keep a cotton ball in with him soaked 24/7 and some moldy oats, with some of the food I feed my Mealworms (Nature zone total bites). I'll let you know how long he lives.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
A few years back my house was infested with Silverfish. Literally everywhere. Any time you walked into a room or you spent any time stationary in a room you would be about 70% that you would see one (sometimes two or three or four). It was insane. Back then I would have said I would gladly send you all of the ones I had. In fact, it got so bad I almost considered (gasp) spraying.
For a while I would throw them in as Mantis food for my Mantids.

Long story short their numbers dwindled over time, until today not one exists that I have seen. I forgot about them until this thread popped up.

@sean2222 I am no expert on Silverfish but I can tell you this. I noticed that they used to eat the bird seed hulls that ended up on the floor from my lovely feathered friends. This was in my room where the birds were. In other rooms of the house I would not see them eating anything, just wandering around (presumably on the hunt for food). Like others have said, I too believe they go after weird starchy things like wallpaper glue and what not. I have seen them gnawing on paper too if I recall correctly. The mighty Wikipedia article on Silverfish also describes how their scientific name Lepisma saccharina refers to their preference for starches.
I am not sure on water. I am assuming they would drink droplets.
I believe they prefer it more on the humid/moist side. What are the Enclosure conditions that you are attempting to keep them in?

Last edited:

sean2222

Arachnopeon
Hi I'm back! and I'm still at it trying desperately to keep silverfsh as pets! I appreciate the very poignant experiences and advice I am seeing here in the last few messages! I discovered on my own recently that when the fish is getting sick (everyone of mine has gotten that way within a week) that I can "revive" or "save them" by putting in a little piece of toilet paper soaked with some bottled water. So it might have been the water all along. I never knew they needed water constantly. But I've still lost every fish for the last few years except ONE. Now this one to me is a reincarnation of the magical goldfish Piper I used to have when I was younger. So intelligent, unique, strong, and full of life. Head and shoulders above all the other fish I ever had afterwards. I never recaptured my bond with him with any other fish :( And I was sooooo destroyed when he died because of my sadistic father putting a catfish in the bowl with him and I came home from school and saw that fish hurting him for no reason... He tried to hang on and I gave him fish pills but he didn't make it. Now fast forward to 2017 and this silverfish reminds me alot of that goldfish. He is also head and shoulders above any other fish. Even when he started getting "sick" he still didn't have any of the movement problems or weaknesses the others had. He just got sluggish, which he is kinda doing now as well. But the difference is as soon as I put that wet paper in there with him he knew what it was and he soaked it up, drank it, etc and stayed under this little "blanket" for a day or so. I took it away and bam he was almost back to normal. I had never had a fish recover before. They always died. Now for those wanting to know specifics of where I'm finding them and keeping them, etc. They always show up in my bathroom almost every night. I even left some food out to attract them in certain places they come out of the walls! And I've captured many of them. I then put them in a plastic cup (stored in my bathroom on the floor) which keeps them safe. But over time they all seem to get very bored and mopey in the cups. Every night I will "exercise" my fish by taking them out of the cups using the same instrument I use to capture them on the floor. And don't worry I rarely make nay mistakes that injure them. It is a pretty good system that I use. take this advice, use empty toilet paper rolls that aren't bent or broken in anyway. You can capture fish easily, move them easily, and deposit them back inside their containers easily. Now I use the rolls as a "treadmill". I will wait for them to crawl on the outside of the roll and then I pick it up and start twisting it over and over and watch them pick up speed trying to keep up. It is like a treadmill! Eventually they try to escape back into the inside of the roll as they get tired or bored, etc. But I try to keep them rolling and moving as long as possible! I also let them crawl around inside the t.p. rolls on top of my toilet seat. It's perfect because if I lose concentration and they "escape" the roll then they end up having to move on a very tough surface that slows them down. Well most of them. This fish I love is sooo strong and fast he can move like lightning (when he wants to) even on this surface. Again, no other fish can do that, they all get stuck... So it works out well and then I end up putting them back inside their cups to rest for the night. So it's the same temperature/humidity in the bathroom they are being stored in where they actually came out to frolic in the first place! But again I think the water droplets on the paper has made a difference. I am now trying it with some other sick fish and I will see if the results are the same. I am still afraid to feed my super fish any food. Because in the past, no matter what I tried. All these things you guys recommended, the fish start getting movement problems soon after and I assume the food hurt them somehow. They then died very often a day or two later. So I am not risking this fish with any food. I know they can go years without food anyway. It's the water/moisture that matters. I might try the other fish as guinea pigs for some food again though. But I've had bad results everytime with food. Now getting back to my new Piper fish... He is soo extraordinary that I (by accident) the other day dropped my medicine container lid off the toilet and it landed right inside his cup and on top of him! Surely that would have crushed or killed practically any other fish. He just shrugged it off like everything else. He's been around me for 2 weeks now. That's twice as long as any other silverfish has ever lived. And he's going strong! I feel like he is a magical fish like Piper was. But I am being very careful not to make any mistakes in capturing him with the toilet paper rolls, etc. He's sooo smart and so fast that it is easy to misjudge and then he would get crushed. That's not going to happen! I"play with/exercise" my fish everyday no matter what anybody else says about it. I have one super fish and I'm hoping I have found the trick to keep more of them alive now as well!

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
Have you tried putting any substrate into their cups for better keeping of moisture, like a bit of earth or something? Some hiding spots may also be nice since I only see them come out at night so I doubt they enjoy light very much. I keep isopods and most of them run away when they get disturbed by light.
Idk what everyone else's opinion is on this but I doubt they need exercise, they're probably the happiest when you leave them alone :d They're not hamsters and I know for some inverts the stress of being handled can shorten their lifespan too.

Last edited:

ERIC cotter

Arachnopeon
I second Ghoul's idea for using substrate, when they get in to your house they'll congregate to the dark, moist parts of your house. We had them in our basement when I lived in New York, where water seeped in whenever it rained and the furnace kept it warm. As to what they ate... I have no idea what they were able to find down there, other than dust and whatever other tiny insects found their way in, maybe their carcasses. Good luck though, I hated these things, creeped me out, but that comes from an aversion to centipedes, I imagine (eight legs is apparently my limit).

sean2222

Arachnopeon
Funny enough I've had one in a small container for over a month now. He has molted and seems very healthy.
I keep a cotton ball in with him soaked 24/7 and some moldy oats, with some of the food I feed my Mealworms (Nature zone total bites). I'll let you know how long he lives.
Hi please let me know how things are going with your silverfish. Do you have anymore now as well? Thanks.

sean2222

Arachnopeon
Have you tried putting any substrate into their cups for better keeping of moisture, like a bit of earth or something? Some hiding spots may also be nice since I only see them come out at night so I doubt they enjoy light very much. I keep isopods and most of them run away when they get disturbed by light.
Idk what everyone else's opinion is on this but I doubt they need exercise, they're probably the happiest when you leave them alone :d They're not hamsters and I know for some inverts the stress of being handled can shorten their lifespan too.
Hi,
I have seen substrates mentioned but never actually bought any or used them. I don't know what to do with them or how they actually benefit a silverfish. Maybe someone can enlighten me. As far as hiding, when I put the water droplet soaked toilet paper pieces in their cups every 2 days they get to use it as a blanket, a hiding tool, and feeder (of water) all in one for about a day until I remove the paper again and start the feeding process over again in another day! I noticed they are more receptive to the water/paper this way as they don't like to be watched while eating of course. So I get the watered paper in the up folded a certain way and then I stick my fingers in there and make a nice "path" on each side of the paper so the fish can easily crawl into it. If they can't crawl in they won't keep trying unless they are really thirsty. So it makes it easier. These fish must really appreciate the details I use in taking care of them as they have really warmed up to me on all levels... The trust factor has definitely gone up to a point where I can literally handle some of them in tight quarters and they'll crawl on my hands as well... But I've kept plenty of them just fine without any hiding places. They do just fine with light, I believe the "afraid of light" is a myth. It regulates their sleep cycle just like humans. And most of them have NO problems going about their business with me right there and the light on in the room.

As an aside, I've had a few lost recently by my own mistakes in knocking over cups or dropping them. And 99% of the time when I tried to prevent a fish from escaping they got injured and never recovered. But I have one of my fish now that actually miraculously CAME BACK TO ME! He escaped then came back 10 minutes later! And he was smart enough and tough enough to not be hurt when I struggled to recover him. And he moved real slowly and carefully so I'd see him and capture him. This fish is extremely fast and it was definitely his plan to move slowly so I could get him back! He wedged himself smartly onto some toilet paper in a way that I'd get him back and not get hurt. I've had two other fish come back, but they were already sick or injured and they eventually died. This fish is as good as new and he's tough as nails! I was sooo happy when he came back to me. I wonder how many of you have had these insects escape and then come back? And not be hurt? The odds aren't too great as they can easily disappear under things and go right into the wall...

sean2222

Arachnopeon
Hi,
I have seen substrates mentioned but never actually bought any or used them. I don't know what to do with them or how they actually benefit a silverfish. Maybe someone can enlighten me. As far as hiding, when I put the water droplet soaked toilet paper pieces in their cups every 2 days they get to use it as a blanket, a hiding tool, and feeder (of water) all in one for about a day until I remove the paper again and start the feeding process over again in another day! I noticed they are more receptive to the water/paper this way as they don't like to be watched while eating of course. So I get the watered paper in the up folded a certain way and then I stick my fingers in there and make a nice "path" on each side of the paper so the fish can easily crawl into it. If they can't crawl in they won't keep trying unless they are really thirsty. So it makes it easier. These fish must really appreciate the details I use in taking care of them as they have really warmed up to me on all levels... The trust factor has definitely gone up to a point where I can literally handle some of them in tight quarters and they'll crawl on my hands as well... But I've kept plenty of them just fine without any hiding places. They d
Hi does anyone collect silverfish as pets? If so, any tips on feeding them something they might actually take (and not ignore)? For such "hungry" creatures they sure seemto go right past anything I put for them to eat and I have tried sooo many suggested things from the net... And also do you have any advice on how to store them and keep them comfortable and healthy. I have had 99% of mine all die within a week. It's the same old story and a very depressing one as I have read they are supposed to be so "hardy" and can go without food, water, etc for a year. And can live around 8 years... Yet everyone (except one presently) has started out looking healthy, fast, smart, elusive, but over a week's time weakened, slowed down, started moping around instead of moving 24/7. And then suddenly had movement problems where there bodies are all over the place (can no longer walk smoothly or fluently) and they NEVER recover from that point on... They all followed this same awful pattern and I know I must be doing something wrong here in keeping such a "hardy' creature as a pet...
Thanks.
o just fine with light, I believe the "afraid of light" is a myth. It regulates their sleep cycle just like humans. And most of them have NO problems going about their business with me right there and the light on in the room.

As an aside, I've had a few lost recently by my own mistakes in knocking over cups or dropping them. And 99% of the time when I tried to prevent a fish from escaping they got injured and never recovered. But I have one of my fish now that actually miraculously CAME BACK TO ME! He escaped then came back 10 minutes later! And he was smart enough and tough enough to not be hurt when I struggled to recover him. And he moved real slowly and carefully so I'd see him and capture him. This fish is extremely fast and it was definitely his plan to move slowly so I could get him back! He wedged himself smartly onto some toilet paper in a way that I'd get him back and not get hurt. I've had two other fish come back, but they were already sick or injured and they eventually died. This fish is as good as new and he's tough as nails! I was sooo happy when he came back to me. I wonder how many of you have had these insects escape and then come back? And not be hurt? The odds aren't too great as they can easily disappear under things and go right into the wall...
Hello everybody. I just wanted to mention a few more things an dget you rtakes on them. I noticed for feeding my fish water, it seems the time matters in them accepting the water as opposed to running away from it for whatever reason. I noticed sometimes the fish will be so ready to get it they will "patrol" back and forth and jump ight onto the water paper I put in there before I can even "make a path" for them. Then other time sthey will act as if they are "afraid" of the water? And will start doing weird things like climbing the cup to avoid the water/paper. Or just "run away" as if something is not right with it. It's funny how their behaviors change form time to time. But I noticed if I feed them around 8-10am they seem to be more receptive and 98% of them will take the water. There are a few oddball fish of mine that will always make a problem out of it. I also noticed right before a few of them were "molting" I gues sit's called and their skin was falling off they suddenly stopped taking the water and cated afraid of it again. This "molting" process I have seen in motion a few times! I would see the fish struggling with what looked like 2 bodies! And they were stuck together at once! Then they would separate and the old "body" would be discarded and their "new body" got back the old dark coloring they used to have in the bgeinning! I lso noticed after they get these "new bodies" they are much more receptive to anything and are mor energetic and doing much more fo rlonger periods of time! But then right before they are going to molt again they slow up and stop moving around or eating/drinking! A few times when a fish molted he was damagwed and started to have movement issues which he never recovered from. I don't understand how a process of nature can injure the fish like that but it does. Then other times they get their new body and they heal up all their old injuries! But right now, the bottom line is I have 11 mostly healthy fish left and they are doing well besides the baby fish. I have lost every baby fish. Even when the older fish were all healthy, the babies are still getting sick for NO reason. I give them water everyday to try to keep them healthier but it doesn't help at all. I wonder why it is sooo hard to keep the babies healthy and alive? Another thing I wonder is... I read that molting leads to them growin gin size? But yet they seemed to have shrunk! NONE of them have gotten any bigger even fater molting. It looks like they are all going to stay the same size they were when I caught them initially :( And for some they are extremely tiny, just a step above baby size. But some of my toughest fish are those tiny ones :p

sean2222

Arachnopeon
Has anyone just started keeping silverfish as pets? What are your experiences? I just love them and can't conceive of why sooo many people/websites portray them as "pests" or as a nuisance to homelife. They are adorable, loveable, and generally wouldn't hurt a fly. But each one has their own distinct personality and idiosyncrasies. Some are more docile, some more aggressive. Some are'nt
afraid of anything alive. Others will run away from their shadows or do their little "fake climbing out of a tube" where they want to climb out, but then something scares them at the top and they just keep going back down instead of taking any risks :) They just need three things that I see to keep them well. Rest, water, and love!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
sooo many people/websites portray them as "pests" or as a nuisance to homelife.
Same thing with roaches or anything else. They're not 100% without merit though, since roaches can get into some yucky things and trudge it across your fruit bowl and silver fish have been found eating book bindings and such.

Does anyone actually know what the average life span of a Silverfish is? Maybe your problem is collecting already mature specimens.

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've tried to do it too several times, and they all died on me.

EXCEPT that I once found them breeding in an aquarium that had been sitting in a hot, dry garage for years, no way they could have gotten moisture. They were living off dust and some dead cockroach remains.

You really need to keep them in a larger tank at least, not just in plastic cups. That's just asking for trouble, like you say they can simply be knocked over.

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
I agree. Try a big plastic box of sorts or something.
And give substrate a go. I think they would benefit from hiding spots and the substrate keeping a bit of moisture, I think especially for young that might be necessary. My isopods have all their babies hidden inside the substrate while the adults usually wander on top of it. Maybe that could be important?
Also try feeding some fish food like flakes and gammarus (as a calcium source)