Need help identifying breed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I have no idea what an "Oklahoma Brown" is, but I assume some kind of Aphonopelma species. It's always better to use scientific names as common names vary much and can be confusing.
Anyway, requests like this should be posted in the appropriate gallery: http://arachnoboards.com/gallery/categories/tarantula-identification.11/

Oh, and one thing: There're no breeds with tarantulas, they're all different species. You can have breeds with dogs, they all belong to one species (Canis lupus familiaris).

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I have no idea what an "Oklahoma Brown" is, but I assume some kind of Aphonopelma species. It's always better to use scientific names as common names vary much and can be confusing.
Anyway, requests like this should be posted in the appropriate gallery: http://arachnoboards.com/gallery/categories/tarantula-identification.11/

Oh, and one thing: There're no breeds with tarantulas, they're all different species. You can have breeds with dogs, they all belong to one species (Canis lupus familiaris).
I think “Oklahoma brown” might be A. hentzi?? Idk

TarantulaMom

Arachnopeon
I’m not sure how to post in different areas....gallery, forums, threads, etc... and the BIG “appropriate” names for them are...for lack of a better phrase “way over my head” lol, after all I’m just a Mom trying to be a good T Mom. Now, if it comes to dogs, cats, chickens, rats, snakes...I’m ALL ABOUT it and can tell you anything. But this whole T thing is an all new adventure to me!! I went from being BEYOND MORTIFIED OF ANY AND ALL SPIDERS , to now I hold the T’s all the time and I love them and even cried when we lost “Redd”!!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
and the BIG “appropriate” names for them are...for lack of a better phrase “way over my head” lol, after all I’m just a Mom trying to be a good T Mom.
Scientific names often appear to be much more intimidating than they really are. You just need to start somewhere and go from there.
Start with the species you currently have - Aphonopelma, Brachypelma, Grammostola most likely - then go on to the ones that you have on your wishlist. Before you know it, you will have no problem using them.
People avoid using common names for good reason and it has nothing to do with being arrogant. Common names are very problematic and have resulted in people buying and breeding species that have not been labeled properly. Common names are often created by people who want to sell more tarantulas, so they make up common names as they go along to trick people into thinking that they are selling a species that they already have under a different name. Knowing, and using, scientific names is really better off all round.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Scientific names often appear to be much more intimidating than they really are. You just need to start somewhere and go from there.
Start with the species you currently have - Aphonopelma, Brachypelma, Grammostola most likely - then go on to the ones that you have on your wishlist. Before you know it, you will have no problem using them.
People avoid using common names for good reason and it has nothing to do with being arrogant. Common names are very problematic and have resulted in people buying and breeding species that have not been labeled properly. Common names are often created by people who want to sell more tarantulas, so they make up common names as they go along to trick people into thinking that they are selling a species that they already have under a different name. Knowing, and using, scientific names is really better off all round.
Another benefit of becoming familiar with the genus and species names: You start getting a general idea of what the other species in a genus tend to be like. (Individual specimens will vary somewhat, but there are tendencies that are true the majority of the time.)

If you know that you really like your ______ tarantula, if you look around in the same genus, it's likely that the other species in it will have a lot of similarities to it, and this can help you shop for new ones. If you really don't like your _____ tarantula, you probably won't like the others in the same genus either, so this knowledge can prevent you from making a purchase you regret.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Further comments on an ID for this tarantula should be made in the post made in the Tarantula ID gallery here. @TarantulaMom Thank you for uploading your image to the appropriate gallery!

Status
Not open for further replies.