Need help! Grammostola Pulchripes escaped.

DiGriv

Arachnopeon
It went missing around 4 hours ago. I've look all over my room and no signs of it. Any help would be highly appreciated.

I've also put water bowl, hoping it would get thirsty and go for a drink, but I need a more effective method.

Thanks in advance.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
How large is it? Check underneath your bed, any dressers/drawers, in your closet, etc. Was your room door open or shut? Best bet is to check all those places and if you still can't find it, wait until it's dark and search around with a flashlight.

DiGriv

Arachnopeon
It's around 7cm long. I've checked all over my room including the places mentioned. All the windows and doors were shut.

I'll try the last one, hopefully it'll work.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I can't really add anything but when my B. smithi male escaped I found him 36hrs later under a pair of old cargo pants that I'd dumped on the floor near my bed, the distance he'd travelled from his enclosure to where I found him in that time was about 7ft.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
I can't really add anything but when my B. smithi male escaped I found him 36hrs later under a pair of old cargo pants that I'd dumped on the floor near my bed, the distance he'd travelled from his enclosure to where I found him in that time was about 7ft.
good thing you didn't put those pants back on

anyways to OP if its that small...I dont actually know cm so im just guessing thats small but uhhhh imperial plebe aside if you set the temp down and this is going to be the only time I ever recommend a heat mat but if you place a heat mat near a corner or somewhere safe looking the spider might come towards it, but if its out the room you done for mate, it will pop up one day maybe in twelve years if it was a A chalcodes or B smithi it would still be the same size b/c slow grower. I hear arthropods hate the smell of mint so if you line one side your room with toothpaste it can only be on the opposite side...my advice is pretty bad.

boina

Lady of the mites
@DiGriv - how can you disagree with someone describing a personal experience? Where you there to state his description is wrong? That's absurd.

If you are handing out disagrees on a whim to people trying to be helpful I don't think I want to help...

DiGriv

Arachnopeon
@DiGriv - how can you disagree with someone describing a personal experience? Where you there to state his description is wrong? That's absurd.

If you are handing out disagrees on a whim to people trying to be helpful I don't think I want to help...
whoops mispressed that, i didnt even realize i press that button, probably because i was using my phone both to chat in this forum while holding it as a flash light.

sorry about the dissagree thing.

anyways to OP if its that small...I dont actually know cm so im just guessing thats small but uhhhh imperial plebe aside if you set the temp down and this is going to be the only time I ever recommend a heat mat but if you place a heat mat near a corner or somewhere safe looking the spider might come towards it, but if its out the room you done for mate, it will pop up one day maybe in twelve years if it was a A chalcodes or B smithi it would still be the same size b/c slow grower. I hear arthropods hate the smell of mint so if you line one side your room with toothpaste it can only be on the opposite side...my advice is pretty bad.
at this point imopen for all advice that doesnt include burning my house down. this is a bit worse that you all think, my house is under renovation and everyone except me is a bit of a arachnophobic.

Last edited by a moderator:

boina

Lady of the mites
at this point imopen for all advice that doesnt include burning my house down. this is a bit worse that you all think, my house is under renovation and everyone except me is a bit of a arachnophobic.
Why would you want to burn your house down :astonished:? G. pulchripes is completely harmless. Anyway, my female escaped years ago and was living behind my book/spider shelving unit for months... I simply needed that long to persuade anyone to help me take down that shelving unit with a spider behind it... She never left her safe space once she found it, though.

They tend to find a dark 'safe' spot and stay there. Put some crumpled towels on the floor in the corners - I've read more than once about people finding tarantulas under discarded clothing or towels. Identify the tightest, darkes corner of the room and look there.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
:rofl:

I ripped my room apart the day I noticed he'd escaped but to no avail. I was just randomly checking parts of my room with a flashlight (behind furniture/shelving, under skirting, etc.), picked up the pants, shook them out and then noticed the little t just sat there on the floor :happy::happy::happy:

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Watch the positive side. You live in Indonesia (according to your profile description) therefore you can say, in 'full legit', to the arachnophobic persons living with you, this:

"At least the spider escaped is only a G.pulchripes and not one of those extremely defensive and high venomous obligate 'haplo' burrowers that in general lives in our backyard and nation wild" :bored:

Joking aside, it's only a matter of 'search' and 'luck', nothing else.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight

12" ~= 30cm
Just for the record

Last edited:

DiGriv

Arachnopeon
Good News! I found my baby!
IMG_20181217_220203.jpg
Thanks everyone for your advice, personal experience and metric to imperial conversion.

Merry Christimas (and/or happy holidays) to you all.

Attachments

DiGriv

Arachnopeon
Where was she?
I found it right next to me when I was inspecting an old suitcase. I suspect it was moving around my room, since it wasn't there the first time I looked at the suitcase.

So it's pure God given luck when I pull the suitcase down from my drawer it probably stick on it.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I've had several escapes, well, three and the only one that wandered far from the enclosures was my mature male A. genic. Which I guess could be expected.

I had a similar experience to yours in regard to finding an animal that appeared where I had already looked a couple times. I turned the room upside down looking for a small crested gecko, and only found him while moving a cardboard box that I had looked beneath twice and only moved the third time to put it away after I had finally given up.

David McCreary

Commander of the Universe
I have never had a T escape but many crickets have escaped while I tweezed in their cage selecting T dinner. Fortunately they were all found. I have been very careful around the cricket cage after being told that a cricket bite can hurt more that that of a spider. Whoda thunk?

Stevecooperwa

Arachnopeon
I had a chaco golden knee escape and was missing for about a week, I eventually found her in the kitchen sink.