Need help caring for unknown species of hunting spider!

Heartfang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Need help caring for unknown species of wolf spider!

Hello yet again everyone! I guess it was my turn to get lucky... About an hour ago I was getting ready for bed, putting away my video games I was just playing. I turn around to shut my door when I notice something dark just underneath the door. On closer inspection I find out it's a spider. Immediatly I think one of mine has escaped so I slightly move the door a couple inches to get a better look. Surprise! It's a 2 inch wolf spider! I grab a small plastic tupperware container and trap the arachnid. Then I begin to fill an empty enclosure with Eco-Earth to house the little fella. Then I transfered the spider from the container to the enclosure. I watch it run around for a minute and it looks as though it wants to escape. I drop in a good sized cricket and the spider seemed to run from it, trying to run up a corner. The spider then turns around and WHAM! It nails the cricket. It looks as though the spider is female because I see no boxing gloves on the end of the palps. Right now she (still not 100% sure of the sex) is happily munching away on the cricket. How do you properly house these spiders? How often should I feed it? What is the average life span? As you can tell I have never cared for such a spider before, so I am hoping this will be my first!

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
some wolf spiders require a constant source of water

i had one die on me, i think from dessication. i read that to successfully keep them they need open water. i thought since taratula slings of that size didn't need water a similar sized spider would be ok too.

obviously this was a little naive on my part :(

other than that, i just keep them like a terrestrial tara and they now seem to do fine :)