Need clarification on Cyriopagopus vs Haplopelma

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm kind of out of the loop. It seems like they simply replaced the genus Haplopelma with Cyriopagopus? I'm confused why, the former is a lot easier on the tongue. Unless I'm missing something I don't see a point in renaming a genus like this.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
You're not alone. The taxonomy changes to Haplopelma are very controversial and many people don't agree with them.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I'm confused why, the former is a lot easier on the tongue.
Taxonomists delight in frustrating people :troll:. They do not care about how hard it is to pronounce. Look at Huehuecanauhtlus. Cyriopagopus does not seem hard to pronounce. Sear-ee-aw-pa-go-pus. As for any they changed it, probably minute details.

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The most recent study determined that Cyriopagopus paganus (the type species of Cyriopagopus) has all the key characteristics of Haplopelma therefore these two genera are synonyms. And since the genus Cyriopagopus existed before the Haplopelma genus it is now considered the senior synonym of Haplopelma.

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The most recent study determined that Cyriopagopus paganus (the type species of Cyriopagopus) has all the key characteristics of Haplopelma therefore these two genera are synonyms. And since the genus Cyriopagopus existed before the Haplopelma genus it is now considered the senior synonym of Haplopelma.
I see. Thanks.