1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Andrew Clayton, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Andrew Clayton

Andrew Clayton Arachnobaron Active Member

Advertisement
    So last Tuesday I got a P Sazimai sling just over half a cm it was lethargic and died on yesterday. Today I recieved a Holothele Sericea advertised as 1cm the size of the usual slings I buy but again it is only about half a cm if lucky so I’m feeling quite wary about it so here is a picture of the setup and T if I’m doing anything wrong please let me know don’t want this one to suddenly die too.
    C49BABC3-7ECA-450A-8C34-C5C3E0E836E1.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Vanessa

Vanessa Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

I would dampen down half the substrate - right down to the bottom of the enclosure and not just the surface.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Andrew Clayton

It’s freshly mixed coco fibre as the substrate it’s quite damp already will I still water 1 side?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vanessa

Vanessa Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

Sorry, I couldn't tell that it was already damp. No, if it is already damp, don't soak it. I would keep 50% of that enclosure damp at all times.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Andrew Clayton

Thanks for the advice.

6. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

That sling looks like it only just came out of its larvae stage :eek:
    Damp substrate, agreed. Beautiful species, but just a heads up, they are FAST. As in, Pokie-fast, Tapinauchenius-fast. And also very skittish, not a fun combination. Mine ran from his food, only to zip right back to it after I blinked once.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Andrew Clayton

Yeah it has already showed some speed at that tiny size I just had to ask because I bought a P Sazimai sling last week the same size and it died on Monday there but it was very lethargic upon delivery and never recovered, but this one seems fine very bolty

8. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

Slings of this species will be tiny, they max out pretty small, my MM got his dong-digits at around 1.5" (if that), can't imagine females get much over 2-2.5". Enclosure looks good, keep the sub damp and it should do fine.

Also, the Holothele sericea (now Scopelobates sericeus) sold in the hobby are not the real deal (another hobby screw up), Scopelobates sericeus has a patch of urticating hairs, this does not, they should be labelled Holothele sp. "Dominican Republic".

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Brachyfan

Brachyfan Arachnosquire Active Member

Canada
    Dong digits!?!?!? LMAO! :joyful:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. The Grym Reaper

Not sure if I can say "[short for Richard]-fingers" on here :hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Andrew Clayton

So What is it I have lol got it from the spider shop uk they have it labelled as Holothele Sericea but I emailed them and they have said yes it is infact Scopelobates Sericeus

12. The Grym Reaper

It isn't, the species they're selling under that name doesn't have urticating hairs, the real S. sericeus does. Also, as far as I'm aware, the real S. sericeus isn't available in the hobby.

Untitled.png

The spider they're selling as Holothele sericea/Scopelobates sericeus is not a described species and should be labelled Holothele sp. "Dominican Republic".

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1