Need advice

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My scorp experience has been limited to a number of emperors over the years, and a few "wild caught" scorps from local areas where I've lived. Therefore I have very limited knowlege of what is availible on the market.

I'm interested in getting a scorpion (or a few of them if the eventually chosen species can be kept together, which is my personal prefference), and I'd like a species that grows relatively big and spends some time out in the open. I'd also like a brightly colored species that doesn't go invisible against the substrate. Toxicity and aggresive/defensive tendancies isn't much of an issue as I'm an experienced T keeper and don't handle my arachnids as a general rule, though I'd preffer something that is less than lethal just in case... I can cope with a lethal species if it meets all the above requirements though, so don't exclude them from your responses just because of their toxicity level, please. Lastly, I do not want a species that is known for dying easily or having problems with molts or feeding. In general, I want a hardy, decent sized, attractive, active scorp that can be kept in groups and I have no clue what species meet these qualifications.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A communal or partially communal species is not difficult to locate, but one that will not blend with it's surroundings can be, unless the substrate is an opposing color. That's it for me for the night. I can no longer read my typing without rubbing my eyes first.

adios,
edw.

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ummm...:?

Anybody else?

As stated: In general, I want a hardy, decent sized, attractive, active scorp that can be kept in groups and I have no clue what species meet these qualifications.

Maybe if I reword the question...

WHAT availible species would meet some of the requirements noted in my original post, and which of these requirements does the species you are listing meet?

Last edited:

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Telson you can get some hadrurus species very active and nice looking scorps. Can be kept in small numbers. I do have one H.spadix who had too be seperated from being too aggressive. I think maybe she is gravid but dont know for sure. If you want a nice active communal try some centruroides. The 2 that are on alot of dealers lists right now are C.exilicauda,C.vittatus. For some reason I cant seem too find C.gracilis or hentzi right now.

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Telson: I'm no expert, just getting into this myself. I have a communal tank of Emperors, which I'm enjoying very much. I would agree with Joe about Hadrurus. Got some animals from Swift's the other day, and my "freebie" was a 4.5-5" H. arizonensis. I must say at this point it's my favorite, most interesting and amusing specimen. It's a ravenous and aggressive eater (ate a pinky and a cricket within hours of arriving), has low humidity requirements (a big plus for me in the desert), is quite active and usually visible. I've seen some that are completely sand-colored that would flunk your 'contrast with the environment' test, but mine (and I think most?) has a dark, almost black back. They supposedly are very hardy once they are sub-adults (molting issues make the juveniles hard to rear. I find it ironic that they are considered one of the hardiest species yet no one has ever successfully reared the young), are inexpensive, get fairly large, are non-lethal, display well in my opinion and I've read they can be kept communally. Plus, they reputedly can live for 20+ years! You didn't mention an interest in breeding, but if so I guess the young ones dying thing would be a drawback. I think you could turn a 20L or larger into a beautiful, low-maintenance desert terrarium with a few of these guys and girls and have some very interesting scorps to enjoy. I find desert terrariums to be more attractive and a joy to maintain versus tropical anyway, but I'm biased (look where I choose to live). I'm going to try this myself before too long since this little Hadrurus is just too cool to have only one of LOL. Good luck.

Last edited: