Need advice on these glass cubes

MGery92

Arachnosquire
So, when I started to keep T's, I bought 4 glass terrariums (pictures below). Dimensions: 9.8”X9.8”X9.8”.

20170912_170657.jpg 20170912_170706.jpg 20170912_170715.jpg

As I learned more, I realized, these aren't the best options for a well prepared enclosure, because:
- no cross ventilation
- heavy
- only small amount of dirt can fit into them (no terrestrials, nor burrowers)
Since then, I keep my spiders in plastic boxes.

So far, these glass cubes are sitting empty, so I want to hear your opinions. What would you keep in these enclosures?

What do you think about these species?
- Thrixopelma ockerti
- GBB
- Dolichothele diamantinensis
- Psalmopoeus pulcher
- any Avicularia/Caribena (no cross ventilation, so it could be a problem)

Any suggestions? :D

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
- Thrixopelma ockerti
- GBB
- Psalmopoeus pulcher
These three are all terrestrial species:

- Thrixopelma ockerti
- GBB

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
So, when I started to keep T's, I bought 4 glass terrariums (pictures below). Dimensions: 9.8”X9.8”X9.8”.

View attachment 251764 View attachment 251765 View attachment 251766

As I learned more, I realized, these aren't the best options for a well prepared enclosure, because:
- no cross ventilation
- heavy
- only small amount of dirt can fit into them (no terrestrials, nor burrowers)
Since then, I keep my spiders in plastic boxes.

So far, these glass cubes are sitting empty, so I want to hear your opinions. What would you keep in these enclosures?

- Thrixopelma ockerti
- GBB
- Psalmopoeus pulcher

Any suggestions? :D
Could work well for an arboreal, does it open from the sides or the top?

MGery92

Arachnosquire
@TownesVanZandt
As far as I know, T. ockerti is an arboreal species (maybe a semi-arboreal). In my opinion, the GBB and the D. diamantinensis are not entirely terrestrials. I mean, they do well with taller heights. They likes to make web-tunnels above the ground. So, this is why I think these cubes are good for them. But, please correct me, if I'm mistaken. :)

@Nightstalker47
It opens from the side, it has a guillotine door.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
@TownesVanZandt
As far as I know, T. ockerti is an arboreal species (maybe a semi-arboreal). In my opinion, the GBB and the D. diamantinensis are not entirely terrestrials. I mean, they do well with taller heights. They likes to make web-tunnels above the ground. So, this is why I think these cubes are good for them. But, please correct me, if I'm mistaken. :)
The term semi-arboreal might be a bit confusing (at least in the case of GBB and D. diamantinensis); they are terrestrial species that does well in a terrestrial setup with a little more height and more anchor points for the webbing. As far as species for your enclosures goes, I would look into one of the "Psalmos" :)

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
You could always replace the door with "glass look" acrylic with some holes drilled in to improve ventilation.

I have my A. variegata in one of these and she's doing fine.

MGery92

Arachnosquire
@TownesVanZandt Yeah, I was confused, but now I see clearly. :cat: Thanks! There will be no "Thrixies" in these enclosures. I don't have any experience with "Psalmos" (and any arboreals at all), but I think I'm ready for them (1 year experience, though). I like the look of them, especially the pulcher and the cambridgei (if I read correctly, the cambridgei grows bigger, so maybe these enclosures are a bit small for them).

@The Grym Reaper Great idea, never thought about it. :eek: Worth a try.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
@TownesVanZandt Yeah, I was confused, but now I see clearly. :cat: Thanks! There will be no "Thrixies" in these enclosures. I don't have any experience with "Psalmos" (and any arboreals at all), but I think I'm ready for them (1 year experience, though). I like the look of them, especially the pulcher and the cambridgei (if I read correctly, the cambridgei grows bigger, so maybe these enclosures are a bit small for them).
I can definitely recommend P.cambridgei. They eat for fun, grows incredible quickly and are quite easy to deal with as far as husbandry goes. As a first arboreal that would be one of the best choices IMO. They are fast, but apart from that you should have no problems at all :). Your enclosure is too small to house an adult specimen I think (10 inches is around 25 cm´s, no?), but you will be able to house one for a time at least in that enclosure.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
They'd be great for something like an A. minatrix or any of the smaller Tapinauchenius species as they don't get that big.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Looks similar in dimension to the buggariums I keep smaller aboreals in. You only have to worry about the ventilation if you are getting things wet and letting it get moldy in there.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I have some similar in size and I House my smaller Ts in them , such as my Eauthlus sp Red , and yellow . I tend to put a fair amount of substrate in them just in case they fall ( and if you keep one of these little guys your know why ) I'd only use one for my Ts which I like to be on show as they can't be stacked one on top of the other .

MGery92

Arachnosquire
Alright, thanks everyone for the help. :)

@Deb60 Yeah, I have two, curious little things. :) When they grow up, a good sized plastic box is waiting for them.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
You can just put coin under the door and you will have cross ventilation;)
This terrariums are great for small terrestrial species, or just young ones. You can put lot of substrate in the back side of terrarium, it will allow you to keep even the ones that like to dig a little. And to make it look good i suggest doing some background on back wall, or even side wall.

Deeser

Arachnosquire
I can see those cubes working well for a GBB actually. Not a lot of substrate required, they like it a bit taller and will happily make hammocks and tunnels in any branches or shrubbery you provide. (Be sure to put lots!) Also they like it bone dry, so ventilation should(?) be okay if you don't moisten the sub at all.

My 2 cents :)

I'm sure a Tappie could be good too, but they are fast for a guillotine door IMO, especially if you have tongs in one hand rofl :p

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I can see those cubes working well for a GBB actually. Not a lot of substrate required, they like it a bit taller and will happily make hammocks and tunnels in any branches or shrubbery you provide. (Be sure to put lots!) Also they like it bone dry, so ventilation should(?) be okay if you don't moisten the sub at all.
It'd probably try to web the door shut though :rofl:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
True lol mine EVENTUALLY stopped and moved his nest to the sticks and succulents, but I had to open the door and break his web daily until he got the hint.
Mine keeps trying to web up the lids of enclosures after a while, damn girl just webs up everything in sight lol