need advice on obt encosure size..

mephisto13

Arachnosquire
1525558825754.jpg Ok.obt molted..its in small sling enclosure...its 2.5 id say....i know its ok to go big on obt enclosure to give yourself room for maintenance is it still to small for medium kk...my other ts i rehoused 3 times but its already demonstrated its hells incarnation...so should i wait till another molt or do it now....here is pic of satan..in enclosure..

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
When you do rehouse it, remember to provide it with plenty of substrate so it can burrow. The way you house it currently you have a jack-in-the-box!

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Look up some threads on the bag method, to a 2.5 inch T it should work well. You could just open that container and put it in the new enclosure also, but you run the risk of the T not coming out. As the other reply says, give it more substrate.

Also, am I going blind or does that not look like an OBT to me? Zooming in it looks like an M.balfouri, is it a RCF or a NCF?

mephisto13

Arachnosquire
First obt ..but i thought same thing...i keep waiting for it to turn orange....is it possible they sent wrong t....i mean slings the same alot...i got it from ken the bug guy i get all my ts from them...they are pretty cool...i need to know now so i know its care requirements....is it possible its not an obt...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Those kind of enclosures are IMO terrible, and for a lot of reasons. What @TownesVanZandt pointed out is a true fact.

You can put a P.murinus such size directly in a medium sized KK without issues. Actually I keep my adult female into a medium sized KK (with plenty of substrate inches... they always love to burrow, if given the chance to) and it's perfect.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
First obt ..but i thought same thing...i keep waiting for it to turn orange....is it possible they sent wrong t....i mean slings the same alot...i got it from ken the bug guy i get all my ts from them...they are pretty cool...i need to know now so i know its care requirements....is it possible its not an obt...
I mean I could be wrong its not the clearest picture, at 2.5 inches OBTs have their bright orange colours. When you rehouse try and get a picture of the T if you can do so without risking an escape. Id get it out of that enclosure ASAP though.

mephisto13

Arachnosquire
Ok got new medium kk and a cork bark slab filled good amount of substrate its in a condo now....but lady at pet store knows im only person in 100 miles who loves ts make me take...its my job actualy as a t keeper...a abused 2.5 to 3 red knee over fed ...kicked all its hairs and missing a leg...i set her up in medium kk cork bark hide plenty of sub ...leaving her alone letting her chill...the a.holes that had her tried feeding her cat food then pet store had a light on her...threw 20 crickets on her....she gave her to me for free...i checked her out thoroughly...leg is not leaking....shes juvinile still ..but obese ..ill wait 2 weeks to feed her..leave her alone give her plenty of water...i pray to spider gods she will be ok...is there any thing else i should do...

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That reeeaaaaallly looks like a balfouri to me. Which is great! Kept like OBTs but much much more expensive. Just as beautifu though.

The “red knee” (probably brachypelma hamorii) should be fine now that it has a good home. They are really tough.

mephisto13

Arachnosquire
Thank you..afer reseachung i beleave it to be and i thought it had a blueish tint....ok the brachi smith or hamorrii..i thought she was much bigger lady got her packed up so fast i only saw her for 10 seconds...so i think my cork bark is to big ...shes 2.5 2.75..ish...i set her up like a aldult but reay dont want to disturb her to change it...her hide is to big and i got a few plastic leaves ..she likes chilling on but i dont want crickets hiding...also she is still fat..since she was treated bad and is skitish i think i should wait a week ...or 2 before i through a cricket it...what do you think...of all of this....thank you...

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Take a pic of her in the enclosure and we can give advice about whether she should be in something smaller

mephisto13

Arachnosquire
I might just take some leaves out...my abobilosm did good when it was that size in a medium..

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, that might be just fine. If it hides all the time maybe switch to a smaller enclosure. I would leave the leaves in. Might make the spider feel more secure if it seems like a smaller space.

mephisto13

Arachnosquire
Ok...rehoused mystery spider with 3 quarters of sub..wanted half but needed space for rehouse ..i think it will be able to burough fine for its size...and yes you guys are probly definantly right..i think its an m balfoury..even ken the bug guy thinks it is..im cool with its its actualy chill and stays out in open. 0509180046.jpg

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Looks like a nice enclosure. And yes, definitely M. balfouri.

Lugnut87

Arachnopeon
Any idea on why a obt would prefer the top of a cage compared to burrowing I have almost 2 1/2 or more of substrate for it and it previously burrowed cleaned the cage and he preferred to go to the top of the cage and make a best lol

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Thank you..afer reseachung i beleave it to be and i thought it had a blueish tint....ok the brachi smith or hamorrii..i thought she was much bigger lady got her packed up so fast i only saw her for 10 seconds...so i think my cork bark is to big ...shes 2.5 2.75..ish...i set her up like a aldult but reay dont want to disturb her to change it...her hide is to big and i got a few plastic leaves ..she likes chilling on but i dont want crickets hiding...also she is still fat..since she was treated bad and is skitish i think i should wait a week ...or 2 before i through a cricket it...what do you think...of all of this....thank you...
An OBT to an M. balfouri lmao that must be a cool surprise congrats.

mephisto13

Arachnosquire
An OBT to an M. balfouri lmao that must be a cool surprise congrats.
Yeah it for sure was and is cool...now i want to start a comunal enclosure...but this is still my first old world t so im going to get to know it more..iv done well so far and made it through 2 rehouses...its a way cool t and its blue is becoming more brighter...