Need advice- jumping spider

Runeblaze

Arachnopeon
I am new here. I sort of rescued a little jumping spider, of all places at my cousin's funeral mass. It was crawling on the neck of the woman in the pew in front of me. I was really torn on how to handle the situation. I have always loved jumping spiders but I was unsure how the woman would act. I was the only one who saw it at the time. I just waited it out and it finally jumped onto the pew the cousin to my right does not like spiders. The one on the left was cool. I pointed to the spider and told both of them I got this. It fell on my purse and ran around there for a bit. I was afraid someone would crush it so I finally dropped it in my purse and zippered it with intentions of letting it go outside. Trouble was I could not find it. When we got to the luncheon, I opened my purse and took just about everything out. No spider. I thought it had escaped. I live in another state about an hour away and I was about 3/4 of the way home when guess who ran across the passenger seat? When I got home, I managed to catch it. I have several praying mantis and had feeder insects as well as 32 oz deli cups with artificial flowers. I put the spider in one and it seemed quite happy. It ate several times, it made it's little sleeping hammock in one of the flowers. I made sure it had sunlight for a period every day. Now I am worried. It has sealed it's hammock in the flower over and has completely sealed itself in and does not come out. I understand they do this when they molt? It has not eaten in days. I have left it alone except misting the side of the container lightly in case it needs humidity like some mantids do when molting. I am starting to worry though. How long can they go without eating or drinking? If it is molting how long does it usually take? thanks in advance.

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Yes they seal themselves away as they are blind and helpless during a molt. Rough rule of thumb; with a few exceptions all spiders can go for a month or more without eating.

Thanks very much for the rescue.

Runeblaze

Arachnopeon
Yes they seal themselves away as they are blind and helpless during a molt. Rough rule of thumb; with a few exceptions all spiders can go for a month or more without eating.

Thanks very much for the rescue.
I was happy to rescue it. I have always loved spiders, jumping spiders in particular but you don't see them much around here any more. My entire family thought I was nuts of course. The lady who had it on her neck wound up sitting at our table. I know now I made the right decision. She said had I told her she would have started screaming and stripping. Not cool at all in church at a funeral. At which point cousin on the right would have smashed it. thank you for answering! I guess this was just like going to the dr. your symptoms magically disappear. A little while ago it came out. It was starting to get dark out so it was only briefly but I can see a little hole in the barricade now. I will try to catch a tiny moth for it and give it tomorrow. Perhaps it will eat.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
She said had I told her she would have started screaming and stripping. Not cool at all in church at a funeral.
Oh... I don't know about that. It would certainly make that particular send off very memorable for years to come. And hopefully someone would put up a video on Youtube. ;)

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
The spider is about to molt and will be fine. Do you know the species you caught?

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
Females sitting on a clutch can go quite a long time without eating. As for molting... Mine usually go through premolt/molt/postmolt heal up all within a few days. They don't take very long usually! Males tend to eat less than females as well. A pic would help. :happy:

Runeblaze

Arachnopeon
The spider is about to molt and will be fine. Do you know the species you caught?
[/QUOTE]
It seems so. I came home and it's cute little skin was hanging outside the flower on a thread. LOL almost like it was hanging out it's laundry. I wish I did know what kind. How does one post a picture here

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
You could use an iPhone to log in to your account and choose the file directly from your library.

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
I really like the story that came with this question. Thank you for that :) It's easy for someone who is used to mantids to get uncomfortable with how long arachnids will fast sometimes.

Runeblaze

Arachnopeon
It seems so. I came home and it's cute little skin was hanging outside the flower on a thread. LOL almost like it was hanging out it's laundry. I wish I did know what kind. How does one post a picture here[/QUOTE]
The spider emerged, bigger prettier and very active. Doing all of the normal things spiders do. It even dragged a blue bottle fly into it's hammock. now it is sealed off again. It could not possibly be molting again so soon could it?