Nebo omanensis?

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here you go, Joe. Some various pics of N. omanensis, or at least what was sold to me as N. omanensis.

Last edited:

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"Why drink the water from my hand, contagious as you think I am?" -- Collective Soul

Last edited:

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have other pics but need to resize them. Working on it.

Paul

Last edited:

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here are some others.

This one shows him drinking off his claws.

Last edited:

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That looks very similar to the Opistocanthus asper(spell that right?) that I have. Is it about 3 or so inches long? The colors look very similar as well. Nice scorp though, is it gravid?

Later

Dale

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you have pics, Dale? Yes, around 3 inches including the body and tail. I think it's coming up on a molt. The other one I have is also. Thanks for the compliment! That sucker drank from my hand for a good 15 minutes. I finally got tired of holding it in my hand and put it up. It did NOT want to go! lol!

Anyone else have any idea what species this is?

Best wishes,

Paul

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In this image you cant tell the color of the legs as well as in yours but they are a little more pale and yellow if you see her in person. This female is gravid and should pop anyday now. She is a heavy eater and drinks lots of water as well. So who knows maybe they are the same. :?

Later

Dale

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
same as mine phoenix

I have 2 N.omanensis(sold to me also as N.omanensis)..your pics are identical to what mine look like.Any info on them?There's little to no info out there on them.Actually the chela pic Skinheaddave posted was of one of mine.I brought them over to Dave's to see if we could identify the gender...**fingers crossed**from what we could tell it looks like I just "may" have got lucky and ended up with a pair.They're still immature yet as they are only appr. 6cms long and from what little info I did gather they reach about 15 cms???.I keep them on appr 4" of appr 70% sand and 30% fine gravel/potting soil/peat mix substrate with some bentolite added to strengthen for burrowing if they so desire.I also gave them a cave type hide/retreat(they've made scrapes inside of retreat) and keep the temps low 80's.I supplied them with a small shallow water dish also.From what I also learned is they are humidity sensitive so low RH values and dry substrate is recommended.They seem to have adapted quite well and are doing well.Eating,drinking and quite active.They're very skittish and I've yet to see them ready to sting or use their stinger on prey.They seem to prefer to use their claws for killing/capturing prey and also in defense.I'll try to get up a couple of pics also(have to borrow a digital)..peace..

Last edited:

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Any idea on how to diffentiate male from female with this species, or for that matter how to differentiate Opistocanthus from Nebo, Dale? Anyone?

How do you know yours is gravid as opposed to molting? Are the pleural membranes dark or light? That's the only way I know to tell but I imagine it may not apply to all species?

Pelo, I don't know much about either species outside of where they're possibly from (Nebo omanensis I assume coming from the country of Nebo in the Middle East), and from what I have seen myself.

The country of Oman is in the Middle East bordering the Arabian Sea, the Gulf of Oman and the Persian Gulf. It's by Yemen and Saudi Arabia.

I would provide a breakdown of weather in each and every city in the country, but I'm wondering if these ARE actually Nebo, and not Opistocanthus. Pelo, you say Dave IDed these affirmatively as N. omanensis?

In Oman, there are NO bodies of water whatsoever. The land is dry desert, hot and humid along the coast, hot and dry inshore. From May to September in the far South there's a strong southwest summer monsoon. The central area of Oman is desert plain. In the north and the south there are rugged mountains. During the summer the winds raise large sandstorms and duststorms inland. The country experiences periodic droughts.

In the captial, Muscat, temps are ranging from 81F at night to 98F during the day. The driest months there are June through October when they experience an average of 0 inches of rainfall per month. The wettest month is in Febrauary when they experience an average of 1 inch of rain during that month. During February temps average from 63F to 79F. During the dry months the temps range from 81F to 104F.

That's just the capital and the weather does vary from city to city, but gives you an idea of the area.

I'm not familiar with Opistocanthus. Anyone here familiar with either Nebo or Opistocanthus that can share some insight on these, please?

The ones I have like to stay on or under rocks, are diggers (one of them is when provided with damp sand/peat mix, mostly sand), and do drink their fair share of water when it's provided! They are also good eaters! These don't like being messed with but when offered water from my hand, he took it with relish, and then didn't want to get off of my hand to go back in the container! Definitely more of a pincher than sting-happy.

The poise themselves at the mouth of a scrape with their claws out ready for prey!

Take care,

Paul

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome pics Paul keep them coming.;) Looks like you have good methods of giving your scorps water. That could be very helpul for the guys who dont want too drink from dishes. It probably will extend lifespans and maybe even help with moults.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks, Joe! :)

That's what I was hoping for on the water dish stubborn scorps too! =D =D

I also needed to find a way to water the scorps that I have in smaller containers where there is no room for a water dish, without dampening their enclosures! not to mention the ones I keep in sand. I lost an A. amoureuxi who dumped a waterdish into the sand and got sand caked on her booklungs, so she suffocated! :( This way I can water the ones in sand without running that risk again!

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by phoenixxavierre
Pelo, you say Dave IDed these affirmatively as N. omanensis?

Take care,

Paul
>>We we sexing for gender not specific species id'ing.Here's a link to pictures of both and different species of Nebo (diplocentridae) and Opistocanthus (ischnuridae). http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/gallery.php...(you'll have to scroll down a ways to fnd them)....peace..

Last edited:

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
looks more like......

Going over the pics in the link for the first time myself just now,looks like we have a species of Opistocanthus....maybe O.valerioi.Resembles them more than the N.omanensis..especially the metasoma and mesosoma.The sternites on the mesosoma are near identical and they have the skinnier metasoma along with orange telson.Overall coloring is more to O.valerioi then N.omanensis....what do you think???Another case of mis- id'ing?...peace..

>ps..I hope I got my scorp body parts right..lol..rather new to scorps

Last edited:

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've looked these pics over before, and though it did look more like an Opisthacanthus species. I appreciate you redirecting me to the gallery. Stupid me, I haven't looked at the site in a couple months and was looking for the pics on the biography earlier! lol! The one I have resembles the O. madagascariensis or the O. rugiceps, but on the valerioi, the telson and legs appear quite a bit more yellow than the one I have here. The valerioi also appears overall lighter. I'll have to post pics once these molt and then maybe we can compare better. It's hard to see what they really look like with all that pleural membrane in the way! I do agree it was misided!

This little sucker tried to lay his stinger in me while I was looking him over!! lol! Luckily he nailed the callous part of my thumb and it didn't pierce, but he sure tried! I could feel him trying to press that stinger in! lol!

Take care!

(Yeah, metasoma=tail, mesosoma=body, tergites are the segments on the mesosoma, I think. I'm new to scorps too, only learning about them for the past few years, and will always be learning! ;) Let's compare once these molt! :) )

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What worries me the most at present is housing them.I went with the fact they were Nebos and am housing them accordingly..arrid desert type setup.This might not be right for what they really are and could cause problems.I don't want to loose them by not caring for them correctly...hmmm..any recomendations???...peace...

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by pelo
What worries me the most at present is housing them.I went with the fact they were Nebos and am housing them accordingly..arrid desert type setup.This might not be right for what they really are and could cause problems.I don't want to loose them by not caring for them correctly...hmmm..any recomendations???...peace...
Any idea where Opisthacanthus originate?

Anyone?

Best wishes!