Nature never ceases to amaze

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Today I was introduced to the harvestman species Caddo pepperella for the first time. I will honestly say my first reaction was that it was a very well done photoshop- it looks like someone put cephalopod eyes on a harvestman. I still have trouble believing those bulbous eyes are natural.

Does anyone know the purpose of these massive eyes? Are they actually sight based predators? Thanks for any information you can provide.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Today I was introduced to the harvestman species Caddo pepperella for the first time. I will honestly say my first reaction was that it was a very well done photoshop- it looks like someone put cephalopod eyes on a harvestman. I still have trouble believing those bulbous eyes are natural.

Does anyone know the purpose of these massive eyes? Are they actually sight based predators? Thanks for any information you can provide.
Try using the Encyclopedia of Life (EOL) site on line. It has a lot of articles about the little guy.
Yeah those big eyes!

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Holy crap what the heck? Why have I never seen these guys before?! Oh man, they’re so insane, it’s like something from a cartoon or something! Also, larger eyes might suggest that they hunt visually or something, but wow that is utterly fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing!!!!!:):):)

aphono

Arachnobaron
Wow! Amazing indeed! They instantly reminded me of a fun video by EVNautilus of a deep sea bobtail squid. Except wearing a Halloween spider costume, ha.

Have you checked out Metagryne bicolumnata?

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Wow! Amazing indeed! They instantly reminded me of a fun video by EVNautilus of a deep sea bobtail squid. Except wearing a Halloween spider costume, ha.

Have you checked out Metagryne bicolumnata?
Yes! They're amazing as well. Honestly Opiliones are just underappreciated in general.