1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturalistic east coast terrarium

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by Nathan Zhang, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Advertisement
    I was thinking about having a naturalistic terrarium with fiery searcher beetles and maybe a few daring jumping spiders. How easy are fiery searcher beetles to breed and how is their care like?

2. Myrmeleon

Myrmeleon Arachnoknight

I'm not sure it's a good idea to keep two predators in close proximity...

• Like Like x 1
  3. jumping spiders can't bite through the beetle and the the jumping spider could easily escape, I've kept them both together before and they ignore each other. Fiery searchers seem to respect other carnivorous bugs, I have even seen them coexisting with much smaller unidentified black ground beetles under a log.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Myrmeleon

Myrmeleon Arachnoknight

Well that is interesting, I might have to try something like that myself! Do you have pics of a setup?

5. Myrmeleon

Myrmeleon Arachnoknight

Have you tried changing the substrate and adding a couple plants? Maybe a soil substrate topped with leaves, and some plants like partridgeberry or princess pine. I would save the sand for a desert themed enclosure if you want to go the naturalistic route. Anyway that is pretty neat that the jumper and ground beetle haven't eaten each other!

6. coniontises

coniontises Arachnosquire

US
    Sand harms at least some insects by abrasions of the exoskeleton.

7. its not mine loll, just shows that it could be done, still haven't found a daring jumper yet. I have been pretty busy

8. Myrmeleon

Myrmeleon Arachnoknight

Oh I thought that was yours!

9. ohh sry, I havent had the time to collect yet, I want it to be naturalistic, no sand don't worry. That video was from 5 years ago. I think he had a camel spider in as well