1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Natural wood hide

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by ayelmaoo, Nov 8, 2018.

1. ayelmaoo

ayelmaoo Arachnopeon

Usa
    Advertisement
    Does anybody know how to strip the bark off of a branch while keeping it in tact and round to use as an arboreal hide?

2. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoangel Active Member

USA
    Nope, but if i was to guess, i would think that cutting it in half and the steaming or boiling it would probably help.

3. Tenebrarius

Tenebrarius Arachnobaron Active Member

I'd guess: cut out a slab of the trunk of large bank whatever you want, remove the useless inside, cut to size then bake. pretty much like baking cookies except I dont know how to back cookies either. the instruction are always too difficult always end up playing ps4 instead. also just order some cork off the web mate much easier.

4. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Active Member

Why not leave the bark on??

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoangel Active Member

USA
    I assume they want just the bark as the hide and were trying to find a way to remove the solid part of the branch without destroying the bark.

6. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Active Member

OH DUH lol I misread their intent! My mistake.

7. The Seraph

The Seraph Arachnosquire Active Member

USA
    I would find some insect, like a bunch of wood lice, and have them eat the wood, as they usually leave the bark intact if a bit rotten. Otherwise, I would hack it off with a machete or an ax depending on how big the branch is.

8. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoworm Staff Member

Go for a good walk in the woods. You'll inevitably find bark just naturally falling off of branches or trunks, just give it a gentle tug to dislodge it. Be sure to bake or boil it when you get home as to avoid potentially harmful hitchhikers (ants, beetles, etc.). When I go on hikes, I always have to leave bark behind from finding too much.

• Like Like x 2