1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Native True Bugs

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by Nathan Zhang, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Advertisement
    Hello,
    I have been very interested in keeping and possibly breeding the native predatory true bugs.
    The three insects I am mainly interested in are the two water bugs Abedus Herbedti, Lethocerus Americanus, and the assassin Microtomus Purcis.

I was wondering if these insects could be put in a breeding colony and if the nymphs should be separated.

For the assassin Microtomus Purcis,I was wondering how the care is different from Platymeris.

2. Salmonsaladsandwich

Salmonsaladsandwich Arachnobaron Active Member

Pretty sure Abedus only get along as adults, and Lethocerus definitely don't get along at all.

I believe that Microtomus purcis is more cannibalistic than Platymeris. Lucanus95 keeps his nymphs separate.

3. Veles

Veles Arachnobaron Active Member

Try rove beetles too.
    Some are pretty fun to keep.

4. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

5. Lucanus95

Lucanus95 Arachnoknight

While I can't provide info on the formal two (though I've tried with Lethocerus and failed miserably as my female ate my male), I can answer your question for Microtomus. I've tried communal setup and it always ended with a single nymph. They love to snack on their siblings during molt. Once they reach maturity they can be housed together as long as they are well fed.

Also, unlike Platymeris, these don't tackle down prey that are larger than themselves. In fact, they usually only go after prey that are less than 1/3 their size.

Their eggs are not laid in soil by the way. Instead, they are glued to random surfaces (usually on rought surface).

Hope that helps.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. The report is in the attachment

Attached Files:

7. Lucanus95

Lucanus95 Arachnoknight

Interesting....I've never tried feeding them scorpions, but mine always get scared if I try feeding roaches that are more than half their size.

8. if you leave the roaches overnight they may eat them, after all these are ambush predators

9. Lucanus95

Lucanus95 Arachnoknight

They never ate them even after a week.

10. maybe they just like scorpions more then
    who knows