Narceus Species Identification

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
I have a bunch of millipedes that I collected over the summer. I thought they were all Narceus americanus, but I just noticed an unusually thick one. I am not sure how I missed its size when I collected it, but I am starting to think it might actually be N. gordanus. It is about 1.5 times the width of the other N. americanus adults. I attached pictures of this individual next to a ruler for identification.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
They were all collected in NC, which is why I had assumed they were Narceus americanus. This individual seems unusually large though.

Exoskelos

Arachnosquire
Probably N. americanus. I have about ten roughly that size I collected from VA a few years back, here's a photo. It might be about to lay eggs or something. On the other hand, it has muted colors like Narceus annularis (my profile pic), looks large enough, but I've not heard of it being as far south as NC, except in maybe isolated pockets.
I live in the range overlap, so i see a lot of both the northern and southern Narceus species. It is surely not N. gordanus though.
N
. gordanus has a different kind of head/collum structure than N. americanus or annularis, and its legs are way shorter, and almost always black or dark brown, where N. americanus/annularis has reddish or pinkish legs that are long when compared to N. gordanus.

Attachments

Last edited: