Narceus gordanus Care

joseoro11

Arachnopeon
Does anyone know how to care for Narceus gordanus; Are there specific care needs that separate them from other species? I purchased three from a local expo, however they passed later in the day. I got two of the dead ones replaced today and want to avoid this predicament again. My temps are room temp (75-76*F), well ventilated enclosure with med-high humidity. The substrate is a mixture of coco fiber, organic topsoil, dried leaves, and sand. I don't think they died from my part since one still lived, however pls let me know if I can make any improvements:)

Also, these are 2-3" specimens, how large should the enclosure be dimensionally? Substrate is 5-6 inches thick.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't think they need the ventilation. Add rotting hardwood to the substrate as well. Other than that I think they're set, but I admit I don't have a ton of experience with millipedes. The enclosure should be at least two or three times the length of the pede. If it's longer it's no problem.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Definitely add the hardwood. My gordanus seem to prefer very little ventilation and high
humidity; 60-90%. I always cringe at potting soil; there can be so many unknown additives. As long as there are NO fertilizers and it is organic, it should be ok, but not always guaranteed. It can be gathered from a pine forest as easily as a hardwood forest. Any resinous wood, like pine can be detrimental for the pedes. Purchasing from a local source that will share where the items are gathered, is your best bet.

Good luck with round two! You've found a good resource in Arachnoboards to learn more about these creatures. :bookworm:

Exoskelos

Arachnosquire
I've heard that potting soil here in the US that is labeled organic, may contain sewage sludge. I don't use any potting soil for this reason, plus the labeling is not required to describe the contents well, could get anything in a bag of soil.
My N. gordanus seem to surface between 3 and 6 AM, never see them any other time. I've been doing extensive research on different millipede habitats, and for this species you may want to use a slightly higher component of sand. Don't use so much that the substrate falls apart when a handful is picked up.
Don't use builder's or play sand, builder sand is sharp and detrimental to exoskeleton health, and play sand has been bleached, could contain unknown residual chemicals. The best sand comes from finely crushed sandstone, or natural beach sand.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I kept my pair in a shoebox sized tub with 4 vent holes drilled at each corner of the tub. Pure coco coir substrate, cork bark piece, and regular feeding. Most important thing is to really just leave them alone. Mine produced babies also really easy species.