Narceus Americanus - Anyone have some advices?

Nirasu

Arachnopeon
Hello, I live in Canada and I've heard than importing millipedes had become illegal years ago, but that raising local breed in captivity was OK.

I live in Quebec and wondered if anyone knew someone who is actually breeding these around? I'd like to get one as a pet. They seem like a good match for my lifestyle, and I already have a terrarium for it! The cute little millipede is gonna have plenty of space! XD

-------- --------------- ----------------------- -------------

Otherwise, where should I go in the wild to find them? I've heard this species likes to climb trees, would you recommand focusing there? If so, do they have a favorite kind of tree?

They are nocturnal, so I guess I should go a bit before sun fully set downs and bring a flashlight, but is there any better time?

What time of year am I most likely to find these little critters?

Honestly, I would prefer buying from a breeder as health is gonna be more garanteed than a wild one; But if no one raises them around, and that I find a wild millipede, how do I make sure it is healthy?

If it's sick, what are the most common diseases and how to help them recover?
Is there also anything I can do to reduce the stress of beign taken from it's old one to the new one? Like maybe taking some dirt and rotting wood from where I found it?

Thanks, I know that this is a lot of questions, and I really aprreciate the time you've been giving reading (and maybe answering if I'm lucky :) )!

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I don't know the answers to all your questions, but I'll answer what I can. If looking for a Canadian seller, I would look on here or look online to see if you can find any.

Otherwise, where should I go in the wild to find them? I've heard this species likes to climb trees, would you recommand focusing there? If so, do they have a favorite kind of tree?
I've never seen them climb trees, but I see them all the time wandering on the ground and curled up under rotting logs or rocks. That's where I would look.

They are nocturnal, so I guess I should go a bit before sun fully set downs and bring a flashlight, but is there any better time?
Yes, I would look for them at night if you want to find them just wandering about. If you were to check under logs, rocks, or piled leaves, you should be able to find them at any of day.

What time of year am I most likely to find these little critters?
I see them most during early summer into fall. I can't think of anything more specific than that though.

Honestly, I would prefer buying from a breeder as health is gonna be more garanteed than a wild one; But if no one raises them around, and that I find a wild millipede, how do I make sure it is healthy?
These are kind of basic indicators, but a healthy one should be active, able to curl up if startled, able to walk without issues, and shouldn't be leaking fluid anywhere (invert equivalent to blood). Any healed damage or minor discoloration on the body segments aren't an issue or anything to worry about.

They need enough (edible!) substrate to burrow and be completely underground in, and would probably be better off in an enclosure that doesn't get messed around with too much or have too many other burrowing species in with it. I've lost more than a few millipedes to cage-mates accidentally killing them while they tried to molt.

Nirasu

Arachnopeon
I don't know the answers to all your questions, but I'll answer what I can. If looking for a Canadian seller, I would look on here or look online to see if you can find any.
Thanks (and don't worry, it's fine if you don't know every answer; You gave plenty, and it's really apreciated), I guess I'll wait a bit and see if one contact me! Or maybe I should add a post on the buying board?

I'll follow your advices to find a wild one in the meantime, and I guess I'll startle it on purpose to make sure it can curl up easily. I'll wear gloves to avoid getting in contact with the poisonous fluid, since I'm planning on doing this! XD

They need enough (edible!) substrate to burrow and be completely underground in, and would probably be better off in an enclosure that doesn't get messed around with too much or have too many other burrowing species in with it. I've lost more than a few millipedes to cage-mates accidentally killing them while they tried to molt.
For the substrate, I'm still not sure if I'll get some from a pet shop or take some along where I'll find it.
But I guess both are ok since one is made by professionals and the other was what it used to live in.
I'm not worried about space or other critters; The little one is gonna have the full vivarium to itself! :)
And believe me, it is not small at all! :D

It cannot be too big, right? 0_o
I have a question about the lid though...
I have a metallic grid thingie, is there any risk for a millipede to try to escape trough there?
I've noticed people seemed to prefer metal meshed lid, but do you think mine could work too?
They prefer to burrow, but I'd rather avoid getting any bad surprise.

Here is a picture of my vivarium.

20180904_212648.jpg 20180904_212648.jpg