Name some DEFINITELY parthenogenetic scorpion species

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
serradigitus is another genus that may be prone to parthenogenesis, the only vaejovids known to exhibit it.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The problem with threads like this is that people are going by what they heard. People are going to make mistakes guaranteed. The fact that certain species will retain sperm and produce multiple broods make things confusing. Less than five minutes of research, literally typed in google "list of parthenogenetic scorpion species".

https://scorpion-files.blogspot.com/2008/03/parthenogenesis-in-scorpions-new-review.html
Tityus columbianus (Thorell, 1876)
T. metuendus Pocock, 1897
T. serrulatus Lutz & Mello, 1922
Tityus sp. [New sp. not yet described - info in the article]
T. stigmurus (Thorell, 1876)
T. trivittatus Kraepelin, 1898
T. uruguayensis Borelli, 1901
Ananteris coineaui Lourenco, 1982
Centruroides gracilis (Latreille, 1804)
Hottentotta caboverdensis Lourenco & Ythier, 2006
H. hottentotta (Fabricius, 1787)
Liocheles australasiae (Fabricius, 1775)

Not updated or complete as smokehound mentioned Serradigitus miscionei.
http://www.science.marshall.edu/fet/euscorpius/p2017_241.pdf

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
The problem with threads like this is that people are going by what they heard. People are going to make mistakes guaranteed. The fact that certain species will retain sperm and produce multiple broods make things confusing. Less than five minutes of research, literally typed in google "list of parthenogenetic scorpion species".

https://scorpion-files.blogspot.com/2008/03/parthenogenesis-in-scorpions-new-review.html
Tityus columbianus (Thorell, 1876)
T. metuendus Pocock, 1897
T. serrulatus Lutz & Mello, 1922
Tityus sp. [New sp. not yet described - info in the article]
T. stigmurus (Thorell, 1876)
T. trivittatus Kraepelin, 1898
T. uruguayensis Borelli, 1901
Ananteris coineaui Lourenco, 1982
Centruroides gracilis (Latreille, 1804)
Hottentotta caboverdensis Lourenco & Ythier, 2006
H. hottentotta (Fabricius, 1787)
Liocheles australasiae (Fabricius, 1775)

Not updated or complete as smokehound mentioned Serradigitus miscionei.
http://www.science.marshall.edu/fet/euscorpius/p2017_241.pdf
Lychas tricarinatus is missing there too.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S004452311730075X

Mordax8393

Arachnoknight
Note that only certain populations of some of these species, for example the C. gracilis, are parthenogenic.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Tityus stigmurus?
This one I know for sure is parthenogenic. I raised mine alone from the 2nd instar and one day she had a back full of babies. Up to that point I wasn't sure if she was pregnant or pre-molt. I also remember someone on here stating that all captive stigs are female. Not sure if that's true or not.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
This one I know for sure is parthenogenic. I raised mine alone from the 2nd instar and one day she had a back full of babies. Up to that point I wasn't sure if she was pregnant or pre-molt. I also remember someone on here stating that all captive stigs are female. Not sure if that's true or not.
Scorpions that reproduce via parthenogenesis will all be female as they are all basically clones, when I was donating my spare time as a field research assistant regarding wild populations of Liocheles Waigiensis, some areas had good populations of males and progeny would be a mix of both sexes, other areas of the same species would all be females and as expected all scorplings would be female. Sometimes these populations would only be separated by a waterway, valley or terrain barrier. I always was intrigued by how some areas held good populations of both sexes and almost identical habitats close by held no males at all.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Scorpions that reproduce via parthenogenesis will all be female as they are all basically clones, when I was donating my spare time as a field research assistant regarding wild populations of Liocheles Waigiensis, some areas had good populations of males and progeny would be a mix of both sexes, other areas of the same species would all be females and as expected all scorplings would be female. Sometimes these populations would only be separated by a waterway, valley or terrain barrier. I always was intrigued by how some areas held good populations of both sexes and almost identical habitats close by held no males at all.
This is not necessarily true. Their are several types of parthenogenesis. In some cases all of the babies produced will be male. With all of the species available in the hobby all of the young will be female. In fact only one scorpion species is known to produce all male broods, T. metuendus. If one species produces males chances are others do as well.

Mordax8393

Arachnoknight
Not sure how this works in scorpions, but heres how it works in snakes

Snakes with XY sex determination, like people, produce female only offspring after parthenogenesis. An example is the recent case of parthenogenesis in an anaconda

Snakes with ZW sex determination produce male only offspring after parthenogenesis. Females are ZW while males are ZZ so females produce ZZ males after duplicating a chromosome. An example is the records of parthenogenesis in Timber rattlesnakes.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Not sure how this works in scorpions, but heres how it works in snakes

Snakes with XY sex determination, like people, produce female only offspring after parthenogenesis. An example is the recent case of parthenogenesis in an anaconda

Snakes with ZW sex determination produce male only offspring after parthenogenesis. Females are ZW while males are ZZ so females produce ZZ males after duplicating a chromosome. An example is the records of parthenogenesis in Timber rattlesnakes.
Very cool, I recently read an article about the parthenogenesis of that Komodo Dragon here https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-komodo-d/

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
This is not necessarily true. Their are several types of parthenogenesis. In some cases all of the babies produced will be male. With all of the species available in the hobby all of the young will be female. In fact only one scorpion species is known to produce all male broods, T. metuendus. If one species produces males chances are others do as well.
Yes it's all very interesting, ok with liocheles either here in Australia or elsewhere in the world parthenogenesis is signified by all female populations our local population here is all female and I've never found a male in this particular area then a short 10 minute drive over the mountain range here the next population had both sexes.
https://bioone.org/journals/The-Jou...sgenus-speciesLIOCHELES/10.1636/S02-5.1.short
There's another interesting article here
http://www.thedailylink.com/thespiralburrow/species/waig01.html

Last edited:

Boaz Solorio

Arachnopeon
I know of the more obvious ones, Hotentotta hotentotta, the Tityus genus, the Carribean variant of Centruroides gracilis.

Sillver

Arachnosquire
So are the Centruroides gracilis from Florida parthenogenetic? I was just wondering cause I have 3 of them.

Boaz Solorio

Arachnopeon
So are the Centruroides gracilis from Florida parthenogenetic? I was just wondering cause I have 3 of them.
I believe only the Carribean variety are parthenogenic, as the Florida species seem to produce sexually. I have a mature male myself.

Sillver

Arachnosquire
I believe only the Carribean variety are parthenogenic, as the Florida species seem to produce sexually. I have a mature male myself.
Ok good. I dont really want to have any babies/breed anything right now. Works getting the the way.

Last edited:

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
Parabuthus liosoma
There is a parthenogenesis population of this species, but there is also some that need to sexually reproduce.
We have both for sale in China, it's quite interesting because they have the same name.
Many people claim they are not parthenogenesis, from what I see so far they definitely are, at least some of them.