N. incei as my next tarantula??

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
Maybe one reason or because you didn't read my post, butb who da heck mentioned handling??

And to clarify i repeat:

Ok, here goes nothing, as a kid i had a moderate case of arachnophobia, right now i have 10 tarantulas and 2 scorpions, I love handling them (within reason of course) and my collection is only growing lol. I have no fear of any arachnids, and I'm starting to consider centipedes lol.

Ok back in topic . I rate tarantulas by aggression, venom, growth rate, and of course looks. How does N. invei do in each category?

Cheers!
Every other picture of your Ts you send me on discord is a handling picture lmao I happy to help and give advice but it still peeves me

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Every other picture of your Ts you send me on discord is a handling picture lmao I happy to help and give advice but it still peeves me
But that doesn't mean I'll handle every single one just cause i like it:

I only handle things that can be handled safely, for instance I have a Caribena versicolor that I never ever handle, and I dread having to rehouse it when absolutely needed let alone handling it for fun. I am making an educated guess they're very comparable in that regard
Anyways how tolerant of handling this one is is the least of my concerns, I'm more concerned about things that can't really be skipped like rehousing, watering, feeding, regular maintenance

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Nah it'll never happen.

I know many people here will disagree with me, but such Ts shouldn't be kept as pets, they just don't want to tolerate any level of interaction with any other creature.
Basing keeping an animal in captivity on how tolerant it is to our presence is flawed. Either it is ethical to keep tarantulas, or it isn't - despite which species they are. None of them like us, none of them want anything to do with us, and, most importantly, none of them would chose to live in captivity with us if they were capable of making that choice. How fast they are to physically remove themselves from our presence is no gauge to use in deciding whether it is ethical to have them.
If you are facing an ethical dilemma on whether to keep tarantulas in captivity - it should apply to all of them and not just the ones that run from you the quickest. It should include all your slower moving species, because they don't want to be near you any more than any other species.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Update: I just watched a rehouse video and hell no. This is a tarantula's that's very likely to get itself killed during a feeding or rehouse with how bolty and skittish it is. I'm steering clear. I don't think it's underrated given how tricky it is to deal with them
Lol...fast yes...but theyre really easy to deal with if housed properly....they web a ton and are waaaay more likely to bolt INTO its web home. Tricky to deal with...not at all IME.

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
Can the olive or gold color be determined as a sling or is that revealed as they molt?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
know many people here will disagree with me, but such Ts shouldn't be kept as pets, they just don't want to tolerate any level of interaction with any other creature
You're crazy.

but keeping such animals is just selfish and unjust on many levels
The same can be said of keeping any non-domesticated animal, you are as guilty as everyone else here! You give yourself a PASS based on your own self serving criteria of what is acceptable- that's pretty disgusting.

you're just thinking of yourself and your interests and ignoring the animal's well being
AND you are too Mr. Selfish.

and the fact that you're stressing it frequently
living in the wild is far more stressful than living in a container in terms of predation, weather issues etc.

but it's not something that should be kept as a pet
Good, give yours away.

I'm more concerned about things that can't really be skipped like rehousing, watering, feeding, regular maintenance
Yeah, those things can't be skipped with any T, including OWs

spidergirlasf

Arachnopeon
I've never had a single problem rehousing my N. incei. He's super fast and skittish, but it was super easy for me to rehouse him, because he just ran into his new container. Mine doesn't mind me filling his watering dish either. He eats almost immediately when I put food in for him, too. Definitely not what I would call a troublesome species, or really even a difficult one to own. Especially as mine is one of my first T's I've ever owned.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
You're crazy.

The same can be said of keeping any non-domesticated animal, you are as guilty as everyone else here! You give yourself a PASS based on your own self serving criteria of what is acceptable- that's pretty disgusting.

living in the wild is far more stressful than living in a container in terms of predation, weather issues etc.

Good, give yours away.

Yeah, those things can't be skipped with any T, including OWs
Let's keep it civilized shall we?? I didn't use such language in my post so no need to be butthurt about it. I dunno how old you are, but while anyone is more than welcome to disagree with me, using such offensive tone when i wasn't even talking to you makes you sound quite immature and even quite vulnerable too. It really isn't nothing to get your panties in a twist over but to each their own.

Basing keeping an animal in captivity on how tolerant it is to our presence is flawed. Either it is ethical to keep tarantulas, or it isn't - despite which species they are. None of them like us, none of them want anything to do with us, and, most importantly, none of them would chose to live in captivity with us if they were capable of making that choice. How fast they are to physically remove themselves from our presence is no gauge to use in deciding whether it is ethical to have them.
If you are facing an ethical dilemma on whether to keep tarantulas in captivity - it should apply to all of them and not just the ones that run from you the quickest. It should include all your slower moving species, because they don't want to be near you any more than any other species.
Well, I can agree with certain parts, except for one i don't think tarantulas have enough cognitive ability to choose whether or not to live in captivity, but for many species living in captivity is far far easier than in the wild. They don't have to deal with predators, floods, difficulty finding food etc, wilderness is far from all sunshine and roses. The thing about the species I mentioned, is that they get stressed much much more easily and apparently to a greater extent, that I just don't think it's justifiable which again is just my opinion that matters only to me. I'm not asking anyone to follow my example and just explaining why I decided to skip it altogether

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Let's keep it civilized shall we?? I didn't use such language in my post so no need to be butthurt about it. I dunno how old you are, but while anyone is more than welcome to disagree with me, using such offensive tone when i wasn't even talking to you makes you sound quite immature and even quite vulnerable too. It really isn't nothing to get your panties in a twist over but to each their own.
I didn't write anything that wasn't civil, nor offensive.

You justify keeping Ts based on your criteria. And the criteria you set forth for NOT keeping certain species makes the rest of us "selfish". Get off your high horse.

SO, the very same type of mentality can be applied to you. There are TONS and TONS of people who don't believe animals should be kept as pets.

The same viewpoint you have of certain people here, is also the same viewpoint such anti-pet people have of YOU.

Your philosophy suites YOU, and that is selfish/convenient, and disgusting. The pot calling the kettle black- maybe that's softer phrase for your overly sensitive eyes.

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
incei arent even that prone to bolting from my experience with my two! When I rehoused them my gold strolled so casually ontop of the catchcup instead of into it and then just strolled into its new set up, my olive just got cupped and moved normally but still was no hastle, theyre great eaters and get more and more beautiful with every molt. IMO super beginner friendly, no urticating hairs(correct me if Im wrong), NW, great eaters, hardy, easy care. Overall fab spiders.

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
Enclosure requirements? Anchor points seems kinda obvious since they’re heavy webers. And they burrow too? So deeper substrate. Seeing how they live in a more temperate part of Venezuela I would imagine they need a moisture substrate also? * as opposed to bone dry

cold blood

Staff member
The thing about the species I mentioned, is that they get stressed much much more easily and apparently to a greater extent,
What makes you think a species you have no experience with would get stressed more easily or to a greater extent? I cant even make sense of why you would make such an assumption....other than maybe your handling practices. But this assumption is just not factual.

If you don't mess with any species, stressers will be near zero....and there's rarely a reason to mess with any t aside from re houses.

Enclosure requirements? Anchor points seems kinda obvious since they’re heavy webers. And they burrow too? So deeper substrate. Seeing how they live in a more temperate part of Venezuela I would imagine they need a moisture substrate also? * as opposed to bone dry
Yes, anchor points are important...as is deep sub, even if their burrowing can be pretty minimal...deep sub is easier to maintain moisture in, and this species does require damp substrate...they definitely shouldn't be kept dry, your assumption there was correct.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
What makes you think a species you have no experience with would get stressed more easily or to a greater extent? I cant even make sense of why you would make such an assumption....other than maybe your handling practices. But this assumption is just not factual.

If you don't mess with any species, stressers will be near zero....and there's rarely a reason to mess with any t aside from re houses.

Yes, anchor points are important...as is deep sub, even if their burrowing can be pretty minimal...deep sub is easier to maintain moisture in, and this species does require damp substrate...they definitely shouldn't be kept dry, your assumption there was correct.
I don't assume, I do extensive research before getting anything and if I feel I'm not gonna be comfortable i steer clear, which is the responsibility of any pet owner

You're crazy.
Oh you certainly weren't offensive, must be just my imagination.

You threw a tantrum the reminded me of my 6 year old cousin when he was told he ain't getting a horse for his birthday. I suggest you read cold blood's and Vanessa's posts to learn how to disagree with someone without sounding offended or immature with all due respect.

PS: I'm done debating this with you.

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
I don't assume, I do extensive research before getting anything and if I feel I'm not gonna be comfortable i steer clear, which is the responsibility of any pet owner
Well I didn't comment on your research;)...which is great that you do this before buying an animal...I wish this were universal.

You did however, make the assumption that that incei are more easily stressed or stressed to a greater extent than other ts.....ts in captivity, provided they arent handled or messed with and are housed correctly, face pretty much the least stressful life a t could have....regardless of the ts speed or skittishness. And stress is an over rated concern...every living thing deals with stress of some sort and live their lives just fine.....a little stress here and there isn't harmful or something to stress over (hehe).

Here's the thing about incei....with the vast amount they web, they have extensive protected homes they build, so their instinct is to bolt to their home...this not only makes them easy for a keeper to deal with, but having such a big safe home to dive into, if anything, means they would be less stressed than many other ts by disturbances.

I can tell you, ts that reliably dive into web tubes or burrows, tend to be the easiest ts to do maintenance around as you rarely have to deal with the spider.

If you aren't ready for incei, I totally get not getting one, that's a good decision for you....but they certainly aren't an advanced species by any stretch. Because they web like they do, and eat so good, and grow so quickly, they tend to be one of the more active ts you can own, with the most minimal long fasting periods around...IME they are also possibly the least defensive t I deal with aside from T. cyaneolum and maybe G. pulchripes...this does make them a real joy to own...plus no urticating hairs.

Last edited:

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Nah it'll never happen.

I know many people here will disagree with me, but such Ts shouldn't be kept as pets, they just don't want to tolerate any level of interaction with any other creature. Now granted, most Ts wanna be left alone, but all the Ts that I have can tolerate at least a moderate level of interaction (removing food remains, rehousing, watering etc). This is the reason why I don't keep old world Ts and never will, they just don't want to feel your presence, let alone tolerate maintenance. I'm sorry if this is blunt, but keeping such animals is just selfish and unjust on many levels, yes they're beautiful and interesting but that alone is no reason to keep them, you're just thinking of yourself and your interests and ignoring the animal's well being, and the fact that you're stressing it frequently. It's a nice T for sure, but it's not something that should be kept as a pet, and prolly neither is 99.999999% of old world Ts and maybe some new world Ts too.

Of course that's just my little opinion that matters only to me.
I agree with @VanessaS 100%. In addition to what she said, I'd also like to add that they likely deal with just as much stressors in the wild from other creatures. Perhaps even more, since in the wild they have things actively looking for them with intent to do harm/eat. In captivity, once they start webbing and make a proper home for themselves (and they start webbing immediately), they simply retreat to their burrow and act like normal. They get disturbed maybe once a day, and all is well.

A truly bothered T would be one that doesn't feel safe at all. If you deprived it of the ability to hide (impossible since this species can and will web everything) and all it could do is cover it's eyes and appear small, then I would agree that it would be unfair to keep it in those conditions. But keeping them in the conditions that are recommended on here is hardly unjust and selfish. Take a look at a poorly housed T such as an Avic with no anchor points or anything without substrate and then decide if it's selfish for people to keep N. incei.

Maybe that comes across harsher than I'm intending, but I'm admittedly offended being told I'm only thinking about myself and my interests when I'm giving my animals the best life I can give them and making sure all their needs are met.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Well I didn't comment on your research;)...which is great that you do this before buying an animal...I wish this were universal.

You did however, make the assumption that that incei are more easily stressed or stressed to a greater extent than other ts.....ts in captivity, provided they arent handled or messed with and are housed correctly, face pretty much the least stressful life a t could have....regardless of the ts speed or skittishness. And stress is an over rated concern...every living thing deals with stress of some sort and live their lives just fine.....a little stress here and there isn't harmful or something to stress over (hehe).

Here's the thing about incei....with the vast amount they web, they have extensive protected homes they build, so their instinct is to bolt to their home...this not only makes them easy for a keeper to deal with, but having such a big safe home to dive into, if anything, means they would be less stressed than many other ts by disturbances.

I can tell you, ts that reliably dive into web tubes or burrows, tend to be the easiest ts to do maintenance around as you rarely have to deal with the spider.

If you aren't ready for incei, I totally get not getting one, that's a good decision for you....but they certainly aren't an advanced species by any stretch. Because they web like they do, and eat so good, and grow so quickly, they tend to be one of the more active ts you can own, with the most minimal long fasting periods around...IME they are also possibly the least defensive t I deal with aside from T. cyaneolum and maybe G. pulchripes...this does make them a real joy to own...plus no urticating hairs.
I haven't been keeping arachnids for that long so I'm not that good at reading them, but I browsed YouTube for a while and I saw them bolt like crazy sometimes just because of the vibration resulting from opening their enclosure. My most skittish T is my Caribena versicolor sling, and it usually stays glued to the wall or the cork bark when I open the enclosure to water it or remove a cricket remains ball. I could be wrong, but it felt like merely opening the enclosure stressed the T greatly, hence my earlier post

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I haven't been keeping arachnids for that long so I'm not that good at reading them, but I browsed YouTube for a while and I saw them bolt like crazy sometimes just because of the vibration resulting from opening their enclosure. My most skittish T is my Caribena versicolor sling, and it usually stays glued to the wall or the cork bark when I open the enclosure to water it or remove a cricket remains ball. I could be wrong, but it felt like merely opening the enclosure stressed the T greatly, hence my earlier post

What you're equating to stress is just a T's natural response to being disturbed by anything that isn't food. It's not any more stressful than someone coming up and knocking on your front door when you weren't expecting company and have no obligation to answer. ;) Rehouses of course can be stressful, but it's no more stressful for one species than it is for another, they simply have different ways of showing it; threat poses, hair kicking, bolting, etc. And to date I don't think I've heard of any T stressing to death over average cage maintenance and rehouses. To put it in better frame for you, it's probably WAY more stressful for your Ts when you choose to handle them, because you're actively forcing an antisocial animal to interact with something they likely perceive as a predator. Even if they don't act "stressed" while being held, tarantulas won't display stress the same way a mammal would and thus can be harder to identify.

If you're not comfortable with trying out a species that's as fast as N. incei, I applaud you on being able to acknowledge it feels out of your depth and wanting to wait on that or not get one all-together. However, making the brash judgement that because you don't feel confident taking care of one that anyone who owns one does so at the detriment of the T and is just selfish (though to be fair, keeping any undomesticated animal in captivity outside of breeding efforts for endangered species could be argued to be selfish) is jumping the gun just a bit. I assure you, my adult female, mature male, and their 100+ slings are all living comfortably and are perfectly manageable for me, from the task of watering/feeding to rehouses and packing up for shipping.

Comfort working with faster Ts comes with time and experience, and you say you haven't been working with arachnids for long, so what seems overwhelming and stressful to you is just day to day work for an experienced keeper. Take some time seeing how people deal with their testier tarantulas before casting judgement on those who keep faster/OW Ts as a whole. I'll also add that Youtube is far from the best place to witness tarantula behaviors and how they are usually, as Youtube is rife with people who either intentionally agitate their Ts for "content" and/or Ts that aren't properly being housed to feel comfortable. Because what fun is a video of a tarantula if you can't see said T? :rolleyes: