N. Gordanus Molting Or Dead?

MES

Arachnosquire
Hello!
I just went to check on my millipedes, and I noticed one of them was just sort of laying on the surface. I touched her to see if she would react, but she didn't. What do you guys think? 15443254393071350806956.jpg

MES

Arachnosquire
Update:
She still hasn't moved from last night (about 12 hours ago). More of her body has lightened in color, and I don't see any molt coming off. I'm starting to think she's probably dead. :( Does anyone have any experience, advice, or an opinion?

MES

Arachnosquire
She looks dead to me. Sorry :(
Thanks for your opinion. I kind of suspected that was the case when I saw she hadn't moved since last night. I'll give her an awesome funeral and try to get another buddy for Susan (my other millipede). RIP Deborah the Millipede, I hope you had a good life!

SFA

Arachnoknight
I’m sure Susan will appreciate that! I’m very sorry about Deborah.

MES

Arachnosquire
Sorry it's been a while, but I have an update!
I've given Deborah an awesome funeral:
She was buried under a tree in my front yard, and her "casket" was made of banana peels and old green onions.
IMG_20181224_171104272.jpg
IMG_20181224_171230535.jpg
I still haven't found any other millipedes to give Susan a friend, but I'm looking! (Susan seems to be doing great by the way)
However, I still don't know what, if anything, went wrong. I keep the warm side of the tank about 66° F, and I spray the tank whenever it gets too dry. I feed them cucumber, bell pepper, and apple. Does anyone have any insight into what may have gone wrong?
Thanks!

SFA

Arachnoknight
Sorry it's been a while, but I have an update!
I've given Deborah an awesome funeral:
She was buried under a tree in my front yard, and her "casket" was made of banana peels and old green onions.
View attachment 295686
View attachment 295687
I still haven't found any other millipedes to give Susan a friend, but I'm looking! (Susan seems to be doing great by the way)
However, I still don't know what, if anything, went wrong. I keep the warm side of the tank about 66° F, and I spray the tank whenever it gets too dry. I feed them cucumber, bell pepper, and apple. Does anyone have any insight into what may have gone wrong?
Thanks!
Aww, that’s so sweet. For advice - what kind of millis? 66 F is way too cold for most species. If they’re tropical they need to be in the 70’s. Substrate should never be allowed to dry out. The foods you mentioned are fine for supplements but main diet should be rotting hardwood and hardwood leaves (oak, maple, etc.) from somewhere you are sure is pesticide free.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I'm late to the party, but you did well not to disturb her when you found her limp. I always look at the legs; they tend to go all one direction when they are getting ready to molt. I also spay a mist of water on them; they will react (usually the feet) if they are alive.

Sorry you lost Deborah.

MES

Arachnosquire
Thanks everyone for your responses!
Aww, that’s so sweet. For advice - what kind of millis? 66 F is way too cold for most species. If they’re tropical they need to be in the 70’s. Substrate should never be allowed to dry out. The foods you mentioned are fine for supplements but main diet should be rotting hardwood and hardwood leaves (oak, maple, etc.) from somewhere you are sure is pesticide free.
They are Florida Scrub millipedes. Would it be helpful to move the heat mat I use to the bottom of the tank? (It's currently on the side). I will make sure it stays wet! They do get wood (I forgot to mention that), but it isn't very rotten. Is there a way I can kickstart that process?
Thanks again!

Polenth

Arachnobaron
They are Florida Scrub millipedes. Would it be helpful to move the heat mat I use to the bottom of the tank? (It's currently on the side). I will make sure it stays wet! They do get wood (I forgot to mention that), but it isn't very rotten. Is there a way I can kickstart that process?
Don't put the heat mat under the tank. Millipedes burrow when they feel too hot. The best way to handle it would be warming the room. Given that you also have goldfish, I can see you might have concerns, but you don't need to go to tropical heat. I'm one of those who doesn't think that high heat is necessarily a good idea for tropical millipedes, given that they live in cooler microclimates by staying in the shade, burrowing, and coming out at night. But you also don't want to drop too low. I keep my room at 20-21C / 68-70F, which works for a lot of species.

Also notable is that soil temperatures tend to be pretty stable in the wild. The variation is never as extreme as the air temperature changes. That means you want to avoid any sudden or large changes in temperature.

As for rotten wood, it takes a long time to get to that state. It's easier just to find bits that are already rotten. You'll know it because the wood will feel oddly light and you'll be able to break bits off easily.

MES

Arachnosquire
Don't put the heat mat under the tank. Millipedes burrow when they feel too hot. The best way to handle it would be warming the room. Given that you also have goldfish, I can see you might have concerns, but you don't need to go to tropical heat. I'm one of those who doesn't think that high heat is necessarily a good idea for tropical millipedes, given that they live in cooler microclimates by staying in the shade, burrowing, and coming out at night. But you also don't want to drop too low. I keep my room at 20-21C / 68-70F, which works for a lot of species.

Also notable is that soil temperatures tend to be pretty stable in the wild. The variation is never as extreme as the air temperature changes. That means you want to avoid any sudden or large changes in temperature.

As for rotten wood, it takes a long time to get to that state. It's easier just to find bits that are already rotten. You'll know it because the wood will feel oddly light and you'll be able to break bits off easily.
Thanks so much for the information! I'll see what I can do about raising the room temperature, it would definitely make it easier and cheaper for me! I'm also going to try and find more rotten wood, but it's winter where I live right now, so it might be kind of hard haha
Thanks!