N.chromatus won't eat on her own- at my wits end.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My AF N.chromatus molted in October, and since then she's only eaten twice. First time she hunted it, the second time after not eating for a month, I was desperate, pinch grabbed her and made her bite a superworm, which she then ate.

She has no interest in food whatsoever, she isn't skinny and always has water, but I'm frustrated at this point. She did have a bad molt, unknown to my knowledge she was impacted, and her molt was covered in feces, and there was a pool of it on the substrate. Plus she just looks weird. She began pooping regularly after her molt though. (I check her enclosure regularly.) So I can't figure out what the issue is.

So my question is is there nothing I can do but just wait and see what happens? I don't want to pinch her again to force her to eat, but obviously I will if I have to. She still acts the same, not as defensive as she was before her molt though. Her enclosure set-up is fine, she's been in the same one for 2 years now with no problems.

IMAG0131.jpg

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Make sure enough water is available and just observe her. Are you sure she was able to eat the worm that you gave her? It definitely looks like a wonky moult. Maybe if you keep her hydrated and comfortable she'll force another moult in a few months and be okay again. It's good you're comfortable pinch-grabbing, so if she gets super dehydrated you can dribble some water from a pipet into her mouth. Also, maybe try offering pre-killed prey? Are her fangs okay?

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
There's no reason to force-feed her. Especially if she was that heavy after the molt. If she's hungry and capable of eating, she will.

If she's pooping normally and doesn't appear to be impacted this time around, just leave her be. If you're worried, leave a prekilled feeder in with her on occasion for her to take. Force-feeding is just unnecessary and stressful.

My AF A. avic was a picky eater after her first molt in my care. She wouldn't eat for a month afterwards and was very particular with what she would eat. I just offered her different feeders until I found one she'd take (just so happened to be Madagascar hissing cockroaches), and then just fed her larger nymphs and adults on a less frequent basis until she started eating more regularly.

It does look like she had a bad molt, but it is possible for them to recover. Unfortunately I don't think there's anything you can do to help determine whether she does or doesn't survive. I've never experienced a bad molt though, so I can't speak from experience.

I know you say the enclosure is fine, but do you mind posting pictures regardless? Just because a T has been fine in an enclosure for 2 years doesn't mean it's optimal. It's just nice to get some second opinions

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Her abdomen looks big enough, I wouldn’t be worried whatsoever. No reason to try and force feed her.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You are waaaay overreacting. That is a plump spider who has eaten once a month the past two months. Where is the issue?? I have a T that hasn't eaten in almost two years.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wouldn't be too worried yet... doesn't sound like it's refusing food/unable to eat? Try leaving some prekilled prey.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I will say, I have a T that had a wonky molt. She attempts to hunt, but isn't coordinated enough. I crush a roach's head and hold it by a foot with tongs in front of her face. It does take her a little bit to actually get her fangs into it. Does your T walk normally or is she wonky?

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I normally wouldn't be one for overreacting, but I guess there's a first time for everything. She's been one of my best eaters since a tiny sling, and if it wasn't for a previous impaction issue and a bad molt I wouldn't be worried. Guess I'll make sure she has water and just leave her be.

@Teal she does walk kind of wonky, and yes, slightly uncoordinated, like her legs aren't strong enough to support her body, but she can still walk around without too much trouble. I'd try prekilled with tongs but any movement in her enclosure she tries desperately to get away from, even if it's the slight wiggle of a crushed super worm. I'll kill a superworm and leave it with her overnight and see what happens. Thanks everyone.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, i knew something was seriously wrong.
She never ended up eating and last night she died. Clearly I was just overreacting the whole time and nothing was wrong.

IMAG0227.jpg

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
She never ended up eating and last night she died. Clearly I was just overreacting the whole time and nothing was wrong.

View attachment 296854
I'm sorry she passed ):

Your initial post about the length of time she hadn't eaten, in itself was not concerning. Once you added a photo, it was clear something was going on. I'm sorry she didn't recover from whatever it was.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron

View attachment 296854
So sorry to hear that she didn't make it. :( I don't think that you were overreacting at all, but I also don't think anything could have been done if she went from being not okay to dead in less than a month. Whatever happened was pretty quick.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So sorry to hear that she didn't make it. :( I don't think that you were overreacting at all, but I also don't think anything could have been done if she went from being not okay to dead in less than a month. Whatever happened was pretty quick.
I'm 99% sure it had something do to with her being previously impacted, which is weird as I've had her since 1/4 of an inch and shes always been 100% healthy. I guess it's just bad luck.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm 99% sure it had something do to with her being previously impacted, which is weird as I've had her since 1/4 of an inch and shes always been 100% healthy. I guess it's just bad luck.
looking at the carapace, i notice the color right away....a female should have a white carapace....yours has the carapace of a MM....Are u positive it wasnt a MM....cause thats what it looks like to me. It would explain everything, too.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
looking at the carapace, i notice the color right away....a female should have a white carapace....yours has the carapace of a MM....Are u positive it wasnt a MM....cause thats what it looks like to me. It would explain everything, too.
I wish, but positive it wasn't a male. I sexed her at 2" with a molt 3 years ago, I have a picture buried in my hard drive somewhere.

cold blood

Staff member
I wish, but positive it wasn't a male. I sexed her at 2" with a molt 3 years ago, I have a picture buried in my hard drive somewhere.
interesting....ive never seen a carapace like that on any chromatus but an MM....But i trust you of course.

But 2" is small...ive seen males mistaken for females before. Pop that pic up if you can find it. I assume this t in question isnt around amy longer.