N.chromatus AF incoming later in the week - Enclosure size?

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
I'm pretty excited, I've wanted a N.chromatus for a while, so when I saw an CB adult female for sale at an acceptable price, I jumped on it.

I know these guys are big, but I also know how exaggerated spider sizes can be. Is she going to be nearly LP size, or just a bit bigger than a normal T? I suspect while they are big and bulky, they aren't too massive.

I ask because I have some spare large flat exo terra enclosures (46x30x15cm) - I'm moving my large juvi LP into one and want to use the other for the Nhandu. I'd like to use this, even if it's temporary until I can make a nice enclosure, instead of using a plastic storage box. I can get any size storage box pretty easy, but I'm not a fan of the milky plastic. The 15cm height may be the main issue with the exo terra though, but don't they stop burrowing once they get towards adult size? So maybe I can get away with less substrate... In any case she'll have a nice big cork bark to hide under.

Any tips from the hive mind are always appreciated. :happy:

Cheers,
Steve.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I don't think any of the genus get over 7", my biggest tarantulas are in 21L versions of these (these are 13L, around the same size as a large KK, the tub on the right houses my subadult female chromatus).

Plastic tubs.jpg

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
I don't think any of the genus get over 7", my biggest tarantulas are in 21L versions of these (these are 13L, around the same size as a large KK, the tub on the right houses my subadult female chromatus).

View attachment 315043
Cheers, that's what I hoping. Had a few instances where I've set up an enclosure and then the spider has been bigger or smaller than I imagined.

I'll go with large flat KK for now then, I'll get a deeper KK if she starts burrowing a lot.

I got a 35l tub yesterday, but I'll save that for when either the LP or blondi are big enough.
Cheers.

Attachments

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I got a 35l tub yesterday, but I'll save that for when either the LP or blondi are big enough.
Cheers.
Save it for the blondi, the LP won't get big enough to justify such a large enclosure. This is my AF genic (7" DLS) in a 21L (I have some 20L flat ones which are wider/longer but only 8" tall which I'll probably use for my stirmi/antinous females).

DSC_0001.jpg