N. Americanus breeding (so soon)

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Yes, they are! The lighting in this photo is also good. They need lots of wood to make egg capsules and for the young to grow. Congrats!

Millipedematt

Arachnosquire
Yes, they are! The lighting in this photo is also good. They need lots of wood to make egg capsules and for the young to grow. Congrats!
Thanks will do there is already a decent amount of wood in the substrate but i am i am going to add some larger pieces to the surface of the cage. I am super excited tho cant wait to see babies

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey, congratulations! That's awesome! My Florida Ivories recently surprised me with babies - and the dang things are consumate escape artists! I've had to rehouse them from the plastic tub I had them in to a regular screen-top cage because they kept squeezing out the air holes. Baby millipedes seem to be able to climb plastic rather well, so something to keep in mind as yours begin hatching!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Quick question when breeding larger millipedes like these N. americanus do i dig through the substrate looking for egg capsules? Or should i let everything be? i know its most likely a little to early for them to have brooded eggs but just figured i would ask @mickiem
Rule #1 = NEVER, Ever, Ever, Ever DIG!

There's nothing you can help them with, but you could hurt a lot. Sometimes our curiosity kills us, but really, see Rule #1! Once they encase the eggs in fecal material (or frass or poop; all the same) it's hard to tell the eggs apart from frass anyway. When curious, I feed them thin, round slices of apple or cucumber and that large white surface may have 'smaller' frass on it in the morning (a tell tale sign) - that's a way to know you have pedelings. I feed at night before their most active period (around 10 p) and look at the slices in the morning. Also, if you lift a slice, sometimes you find babies congregating beneath it in the morning. I guess they eat until they pass out. Some say that certain species will even lay their eggs near a food source so I place supplemental food in the same spot. I rarely find this to be true, but I still do it because I am OCD that way.... I do find that most species will scatter so even if the eggs are in one spot (often on the surface), they won't stay there long.

Excited for you!

Last edited: