1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mystery Warehouse Scorpion

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Bathynomus, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Bathynomus

Bathynomus Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hello all!

Someone here in the Chicago area found this little guy/girl in a warehouse. Long story short I elected to take it from the local reptile/invert rescue, but I have no idea what species it is. (The only person who might have more information is out of the country at the moment) Does anyone have any guesses? It's maybe an inch and a half long. Not big at all.

I've never kept a scorp, though I have a D. diadema. I want to make sure I can correctly provide for it.

Thank you for any input!

IMG_9219.JPG IMG_9202.JPG

2. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    It looks like a species of Opisthacanthus but I'm not sure, ..google, Opisthacanthus, images, what do you think?

3. Mila

Mila Arachnosquire Active Member

It's either opisthacanthus capensis if the legs are the same colour as body or it's the more common opisthacanthus madagascariensis. Either way it's an invasive likely arrived on the boat especially considering it's a warehouse.

Damn illegals.
    Thanks, Obama

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Bathynomus

Bathynomus Arachnopeon

It definitely looks like an Opisthacanthus of some sort! Thank you guys!

I'm trying to get more information as to what area it might have come from. The legs are more reddish brown than the body.

5. Bathynomus

Bathynomus Arachnopeon

Hmmm, so I did get some more information. It was found in a wine warehouse! I looked on their website and the only imports they mention specifically are from Italy...could it be Euscorpius italicus?

6. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    It sure could be Euscorprius, I do think those are better odds. It makes more sense considering your detective work, and the pinchers have that ridge going on like Euscorpius.

7. BobBarley

BobBarley Arachnoprince Active Member

I'd put my money on Euscorpius. Very nice genus, not all too common in the states.

8. Mila

Mila Arachnosquire Active Member

Where do you live in the US? You might be breaking the law by keeping the scorpion, especially if you live in FL

9. Bathynomus

Bathynomus Arachnopeon

I'm in Chicago. Will have to look into it...
    Thank you for all the replies! Assuming I can keep it, I'm going to name it after some sort of expensive wine.