Mystery T and some friends

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice pics!! What was the mystery T sold to you as?

Andy

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
Nice pics, but I don't think your "Mystery T" is a T at all. Something about it says Trapdoor to me......but what do I know?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by LPacker79
Nice pics, but I don't think your "Mystery T" is a T at all. Something about it says Trapdoor to me......but what do I know?
I dont think it has the right body structure of the trapdoor There more bulldoggish from what I've seen. But aswell I am limited on trapdoor knowledge- what size is it orion and does it display aboreal or terrestrial behavior? does it prefer moist or dry conditions?? that may help people id it..

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Malhavoc's
I dont think it has the right body structure of the trapdoor
It is indeed a trapdoor from the family Barychelidae (the claw tufts are visible). Probably one from a shipment from Africa.

Steve

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The history of the mystery.
ok that was lame i know, anyways the spider comes from Venezuela, it was wild caught, it was approximately 1.2 cm before last molt and is now a hardy 2 cm :) eats voraciously i have never seen a trapdoor created it does display terrestrial behaviour in that it loves to burrow creating some decently long and deep burrows remains mostly underground and loves to eat what else can i tell you guys hmmm it is definitely a mygalomorph though if it turned out to not be a T i will be surprised, it is definitley not from africa (sorry) i found it living in almost colonial setting in that there were literally hundreds of others all around in their little caves, in nature they sit at the mouth of their burrows perfectly visible to the naked eye not covered by any trapdoor and sit and wait for prey items to walk by. the exact locality was Caracas, Venezuela.
ORION

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Still a Barychelidae, not a T. :)
I thought it may have come from Africa because recent shipments from there contain barychelids.

It has claw tufts which means it's either in the Barychelidae or Theraphosidae (with one genus from the Nemesiidae possessing claw tufts too, but not from that location).

Does it have short, stumpy spineretts?? This is the obvious difference between barychelids and theraphosids, all T's spineretts are long and tapered, all barychelids are short and stumpy.

Steve

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hmmm dont know what ir is but kindda looks like a trapdoor to me too

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the spinerettes are shorter yes so maybe you are right but there is no trapdoor nor has there ever been even in the wild is this normal for trapdoor spiders? all it does is sit at the entrance of its burrow?
ORION

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by ORION_DV8
there is no trapdoor nor has there ever been even in the wild is this normal for trapdoor spiders? ORION
Quite normal, particularly for nemesiids, diplurids, hexathelids, and barychelids(all trapdoor families).

Steve

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
steve i have another mystery spider in the group which i believe is a diplurid can you give me some general characteristics for diplurids, are diplurids not funnel weavers rather than trapdoors?

I will post a pic of the other as soon as she comes out of her mess of web for long enough, btw she has layed like 4 egg sacks and i have approximately 500 babies already she is a machine
ORION

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, it's a number of unique character combinations that define a diplurid, which are as follows: Very flat caput, elongate and widely spaced posterior lateral spinnerets, low and hirsute carapace, maxillary serrula present and distinct, three claws on all tarsi with numerous teeth on the paired claws. No other mygale family possess this character combination. I'd get more into it but I'm out of time today.

Cheers,
Steve