Mystery Spider .... any serious guesses?

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Ok..no rose hair comments or anything like that.
I need a low down on what some of you guys have out there that may resemble this T. All I know is that it doesn't look like any that I have before.

Any genus guesses?

Last edited:

senor ocho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd say Aphonopelma genus, probably Aphonopelma species Guatemala, or whatever they're calling the Guatemalan Zebra Leg these days. The coloration and leg striping seem to coincide with that.
-chris
www.krazy8sinvertebrates.com

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Seems an odd list to have narrowed down to. The presence of urticating hairs eliminates the old worlders. I don't have any other help to offer, other than it's not a rose hair. ;)

Steve

cloud711

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
definitely not a rose hair. is it aggressive or nervous? havent seen this t before. :?

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
defour said:
The presence of urticating hairs eliminates the old worlders.
Hi Steve,
Yes, this does, but does this spider possess urticating hairs?? I mean perhaps it does, but, to me this also looks like a severely stressed old world spider. They are just as prone to removing the setae from their abdomens under stress, the setae just aren't urticatious :)

To me at this stage it looks like one well and truly messed up wild caught spider that's probably undergone a LOT of travel/stress.

Perhaps it is NW, but I would not rule out OW because of the lack of setae on the abdomen just yet ;)

Is there a patch of scopula (like that seen under the feet of T's) on the inside of the femur of the back legs??? If there is this might narrow things down a little, would at least guarantee NW....there aren't that many characters that can be seen on a live spider to identify it.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:
Hi
...to me this also looks like a severely stressed old world spider. They are just as prone to removing the setae from their abdomens under stress, the setae just aren't uritcatious :)
This was also my initial thought, but I don't think there's enough information to really know. The first thought that glanced my mind was a very beat-up Haplopelma sp., but the abdomen didn't look quite right and I questioned whether or not those were urticating hairs.

Out of curiosity (I don't think you're going to get a 100% ID on this one), do you have any other pictures, Chris? Different angles?

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
becca81 said:
I don't think you're going to get a 100% ID on this one
Hi Becca,
I have to agree, unless you might be able to obtain any collection location data, that would be the best thing you could obtain :)

The spination is interesting, don't see that on a lot of T's, but spines vary so much it doesn't really help......

A ventral photo, around the sternum, would be very cool :) There are a lot of characters around that region that can possibly assist in identification :)

Steve

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
I will take a bunch of pics and get them onto the site. I will be away camping this weekend so I may not get to it till late monday afternoon.

I'll take some nice closeups of all sides of the T.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm curious as hell to see it after a molt.

My initial glance made me think of a chaco. No idea why.

As for hairs - I've seen stressed and bald OW spiders before.

But this one - for a WC that must have been in transport for as long as it has to look that beat up - still sports a decent sized abdomen.

The only spider I've seen that can look like death warmed over like this and not have at all suffered anything is blondi.

(Not saying this is a blondi!)

But those buggers can look like you just threw 'em in a shake n' bake bag to season them.

Where did you get it?

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looks like a beat up OW spider to me. What did you buy it as Chris?

Edit--from the looks of it, maybe it burrowed all the way from Asia to your backyard? :)

Last edited:

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh, damn, Scott, can you not make me an arachnoprince??? How about arachnodung, arachnosnarbie, something different to arachnoprince??? I like arachnodung :)

EDIT: oops, sorry, this shouldn't be here

Last edited:

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:
to me this also looks like a severely stressed old world spider. They are just as prone to removing the setae from their abdomens under stress, the setae just aren't urticatious :)
Steve,

Ah... thanks for this info; I hadn't known that. I guess that's what I get for having owned a hundred new world tarantulas and only half a dozen cb old worlders. Maybe I should give myself a Selenocosmia, et al appreciation assignment. ;)

Steve

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
With all due lack of respect ;-) The texture of the setae around the bald spot points very strongly towards urticating hairs. Call it first hand experience - whatever (Steve ;-) - also the spines of the legs are very non-old world'ish unless we are talking Ischnocolinae ... with urticating hairs ... Do you have any info regarding what country it's from? And how big is it?

Very Best Regards
Søren

Steve Nunn said:
Hi Steve,
Yes, this does, but does this spider possess urticating hairs?? I mean perhaps it does, but, to me this also looks like a severely stressed old world spider. They are just as prone to removing the setae from their abdomens under stress, the setae just aren't urticatious :)

To me at this stage it looks like one well and truly messed up wild caught spider that's probably undergone a LOT of travel/stress.

Perhaps it is NW, but I would not rule out OW because of the lack of setae on the abdomen just yet ;)

Is there a patch of scopula (like that seen under the feet of T's) on the inside of the femur of the back legs??? If there is this might narrow things down a little, would at least guarantee NW....there aren't that many characters that can be seen on a live spider to identify it.

Cheers,
Steve

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
phormingochilus said:
The texture of the setae around the bald spot points very strongly towards urticating hairs. Call it first hand experience - whatever (Steve ;-) - also the spines of the legs are very non-old world'ish unless we are talking Ischnocolinae ... with urticating hairs ... Do you have any info regarding what country it's from? And how big is it?
Hi,
You should read my words again ;) I mentioned only the bald spot and what that can mean, also mentioned the spination and it's possible signifincance (although, as you know, spination is not a good character to look at, but, more common in the NW materila for certain). As to the texture of the setae around the abdomen, I can think of numerous old world theraphosids with similar setation on the abdomen, particulartly a lot of certain SE Asian material :)

As I said, location data is everything, you're only replicating my words on all points old friend ;)

Oh, I have 1st hand experience with a lot of NW material, just not live animals ;)

Cheers,
Steve

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Your avatars make me think someone is discussing this with himself :p
I get easily confused...
:)
T

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
To me I'm thinking of Haplopelma sp. but I don't really know squat. That was my first impression though...

robshults

Arachnopeon
It might be a species from the genus Pterinochilus. Beyond that, I can't venture a guess.

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
LOL - like a Cyriopagopus discussing with a Selenotypus ;-) @ Steve: the "dissing" tone is purely tongue in cheek ;-)

Søren

tony said:
Your avatars make me think someone is discussing this with himself :p
I get easily confused...
:)
T

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
phormingochilus said:
Steve: the "dissing" tone is purely tongue in cheek
Oh, I know ;) I've known you long enough!! You know there's nothing I enjoy more then a verbal bout with a crazy Danish arachnologist (got to be crazy to live so far away from real spiders ;))!