Mystery Heterometrus

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Are all of the pictures of the same individual?

If not, please label which scorpion is which.

Some of the pictures are clear enough for identification, while others are not. The ones that are indicate Heterometrus petersii.
No, they're of two:

Scorpion 1 (suspect male) --

Scorpion 2 (suspect female) --

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
You have a pair of Heterometrus petersii.
Thank you! I stared at a bunch of "How to identify Heterometrus spp." and I was lost the whole darn time. If you don't mind answering one question-- was I correct in sexing them? Because I did think that I'd understood reading about that.

Then getting those puppies breeding so you can be a granny again :rofl:
Uhm, omg @Scorpionluva this is so embarrassing for you but...those are scorpions, not puppies. :zombie:

:troll:

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
See I knew you could teach them tricks ! now to teach them to fetch the morning paper and you'll be set !

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you! I stared at a bunch of "How to identify Heterometrus spp." and I was lost the whole darn time. If you don't mind answering one question-- was I correct in sexing them? Because I did think that I'd understood reading about that.
Yes, you're correct. Additionally, this species shows sexual dimorphism in that males have an enlarged tooth on the movable finger of the chela.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Ya know, I'd really like to know what kind of Heterometrus I have, so I think I'll hijack this thread for a moment and put up pictures of mine. I'm sure Moxie won't mind, it's the least she can do after abandoning Geronimo and the rest of the kids. (Old joke, just ignore it) I'll provide a couple, I don't know if either will be useful. This is the night I brought it home, before I set up its permanent enclosure.

m_IMG_6139crop.jpg

A couple months later...

m_IMG_6265crop2.jpg