Mystery Black Aphonopelma?

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
So an exotic pet shop near me has a tarantula they've labeled an "Aphonopelma tarantula". It appears to be a (mostly) solid black or possibly very very dark brown tarantula about 4 inches DLS. It's available for a reasonable price regardless of species. Any idea what kind of tarantula it might be? It didn't have the features of a mature male, and it looked too dark to be an A. chalcodes or an A. hentzi. I don't have any pictures right now, but I may or may not go back to look at it again.

Last edited:

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
I think I’ve actually seen this exact tarantula... Tropical Kingdom, right? I’ve actually considered buying it just to work to compare it to the recent Aphonopelma redescription paper.

If it is that spider, I was thinking maybe A. saguaro... but that is just a wild guess mostly to give others an idea of what it looked like.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Many MM Aphonopelma are very dark brown, but few are actually black. But I'd trust that you'd spot those boxing gloves immediately if you got a good look.

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
I think I’ve actually seen this exact tarantula... Tropical Kingdom, right? I’ve actually considered buying it just to work to compare it to the recent Aphonopelma redescription paper.
Exact!

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
Many MM Aphonopelma are very dark brown, but few are actually black. But I'd trust that you'd spot those boxing gloves immediately if you got a good look.
I specifically looked for them because of the color. It was not a mature male, I thought the same thing.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Mistery Black Aphonopelma?

Bah, personally I will stick to that 'Oklahoma giant spider' (or something) you mentioned time ago, now that was lovely and 100% fact-checking :troll:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
It's probably a Midnight Velvet Shadowy Bat-Eater, exclusively available at Tropical Kingdom. :troll:

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
Mistery Black Aphonopelma?

Bah, personally I will stick to that 'Oklahoma giant spider' (or something) you mentioned time ago, now that was lovely and 100% fact-checking :troll:
Excuse you, that's the Oklahoma Forest Spider. If you don't respect it, it will catapult itself onto your face.

JohnR

Arachnopeon
Maybe it’s an A. marxi (Grand Canyon Black), just guessing... If you can take a pic, members here can prolly help IDing it...

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, agreed...but many (most Aphonopelma) are black or almost black when they are MMs...so OP, be sure to make sure its not a MM. Adult t at a pet store at a reasonable price....screams MM to me to be honest.

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
Yeah, agreed...but many are when they are MMs...so OP, be sure to make sure its not a MM. Adult t at a pet store at a reasonable price....screams MM to me to be honest.
As I said in a previous reply, I don't think this spider has any of the features of a MM. No boxing gloves, no hooks, no leggy appearance.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
Just going on my recollections from seeing it yesterday, it seems to resemble the Aphonopelmas in the Paloma group (though it is too big to be A. paloma itself. Kinda reminiscent of A. chalcodes but darker and more faded (so not straight black like what OP described, which would make it likely marxi). I thought maybe saguaro because I can definitely see some jerk collect one while hiking up to Seven Falls in Sabino Canyon and sell it to Tropical Kingdom (collection from National Forest land is illegal). And I can confirm that’s it’s not an MM. Not very leggy, no hooks, no bulbs.

Its label as “Aphonopelma tarantula” makes me suspect that they got it from a local collector and not a wholesaler (like a lot of their other Ts like their mass collection of tiny baby OBTs and their WAY overpriced GBB sling).

That being said, tia b, you have reignited my interest in the little guy... the price isn’t too bad (definitely reasonable when you compare their prices on some of their slings...)

Last edited:

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
Just going on my recollections from seeing it yesterday, it seems to resemble the Aphonopelmas in the Paloma group (though it is too big to be A. paloma itself. Kinda reminiscent of A. chalcodes but darker and more faded (so not straight black like what OP described, which would make it likely marxi). I thought maybe saguaro because I can definitely see some jerk collect one while hiking up to Seven Falls in Sabino Canyon and sell it to Tropical Kingdom (collection from National Forest land is illegal). And I can confirm that’s it’s not an MM. Not very leggy, no hooks, no bulbs.

Its label as “Aphonopelma tarantula” makes me suspect that they got it from a local collector and not a wholesaler (like a lot of their other Ts like their mass collection of tiny baby OBTs and their WAY overpriced GBB sling).

That being said, tia b, you have reignited my interest in the little guy... the price isn’t too bad (definitely reasonable when you compare their prices on some of their slings...)
If you want to go for it, by all means go for it. Just make sure to post some photos. :p. I only got a short look at it, and the container was kind of smudged up. Your description is far better. The main reason I was interested in the spider was to keep it away from someone who just wanted a cheap spider and wouldn't appreciate it. I'd love to know if you ID it.

And I agree on their sling prices. The majority of them were ridiculous. $100 for a tiny little unsexed GBB.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
So...ummm... spider #37 acquired :). I’ll definitely take a lot of pictures when I get it set up after dinner. First thoughts, it’s darker than I remembered from seeing it the other day. Definitely like what Tia B described, very dark grey with almost a very dark green carapace. No stripes on the legs so not johnnycashi. A. marxi wouldn’t be out of the question I think.

EDIT: yeah, marxi is almost certainly right. The only other species have much more limited distributions. Could be A. catalina, but that would mean again, someone collected a T where they shouldn’t have...

Last edited: