Myrmarachne formicaria ant-mimic found

ilovebugs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey guys, I have been absent for a bit, but I thought this little guy on my parents house was a good sign that I needed to come back to the AB.

Myrmarachne formicaria.JPG

I know that this invasive species was discovered in Ohio as recently as 2001, and has been found in a few other places to the North of me, but as far as I can tell from my searches, this is the first documented M. formicaria in Alabama.

Is there a way to check for an updated range of a species? or a place I should submit my find?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I was just about to type in 'bugguide' as an informal place to list your find, haha, until I saw your signature and your bg comment. Cool find!

ABbuggin

Arachnopeon
I remember seeing a spider VERY similar to this one several years back (5ish?) It stayed on the same plant in my garden all year....was pretty cool to watch. I live in central North Carolina, and its the only one I've ever seen. I can't confirm or deny my find, it was too long ago, but it was for sure very similar.

ilovebugs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the input, I showed the picture to my biology teacher, and he gave me the name of a guy at a university who will either know or know someone who does know more about these spiders and their range. hopefully.

bearfootwild

Arachnopeon
Sarinda hentzi?

I believe that's a Sarinda hentzi, another ant-mimic that was also introduced to Ohio, it has also been here a lot longer than M. formicara. Notice the chelicerae, In M. formicaria they extend up to 50% of the body length of the males, even in the females have protruding chelicerae. They are not as large as the males, but still very noticeable. On your pic notice the white markings on the abdomen, these are very common in S. hentzi. Though I believe this is not M. formicaria, S. hentzi is another impressive ant-mimicking spider and the fact that it has made it to Alabama is quite amazing. Cool find.