My Wolf Spider keeps dropping food? Won’t eat anymore?

Kade135

Arachnopeon
image.jpg image.jpg So I’ve had a Wolf Spider that my buddy caught about a year ago at his work, brought it to me because he thought it was a Tarantula. Definitely was a big ol Wolf Spider, and I decided to keep her. I’m usually not for keeping Wild creatures because I feel bad, but this Wolfie is gorgeous and big and I thought I’d try keeping a Wolf Spider since I have Tarantulas, Scorps, Centipedes, but haven’t have a Spider.
I’ve had her for a year, she’s a confirmed Female since she laid a dud egg sack, and she’s always been content in her home, not trying to escape, and always eating and drinking.
The past week she’s been doing nothing but trying to escape. I feed her, she keeps the cricket or mealworm in her mouth for like a day, or even as short as 5 minutes, and drops it and it’s STILL alive. I feel as though she cannot envenomate or something, because her prey always gets off the hook and is still alive and well. She keeps dropping her food and never kills it anymore. She is constantly been trying to escape this past week.
I honestly feel bad, maybe she needs to be released, but she’s been so good this whole year and now suddenly she’s acting this way. I really love her. But What’s wrong with her? I have a good feeling I have her home made wrong, any ideas or suggestions?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
But What’s wrong with her?
If she was already mature when you got her, she may just be getting old. Spiders often eat less and move less "competently" when they are old.

I have a good feeling I have her home made wrong, any ideas or suggestions?
The enclosure looks OK to me and is less likely to be the problem if the spider was doing well for a year.

Last edited:

Kade135

Arachnopeon
Um, I’ve got an update. I just woke up and one of her legs fell off... or something? She is moving around her cage limping, and there’s just her leg on the ground. What the hell is going on with her? There’s no live food in there either?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I just woke up and one of her legs fell off... or something? She is moving around her cage limping, and there’s just her leg on the ground. What the hell is going on with her?
She may have amputated her own leg in response to an injury. If she isn't already mature, it will regenerate when she molts.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
View attachment 270957 View attachment 270958 So I’ve had a Wolf Spider that my buddy caught about a year ago at his work, brought it to me because he thought it was a Tarantula. Definitely was a big ol Wolf Spider, and I decided to keep her. I’m usually not for keeping Wild creatures because I feel bad, but this Wolfie is gorgeous and big and I thought I’d try keeping a Wolf Spider since I have Tarantulas, Scorps, Centipedes, but haven’t have a Spider.
I’ve had her for a year, she’s a confirmed Female since she laid a dud egg sack, and she’s always been content in her home, not trying to escape, and always eating and drinking.
The past week she’s been doing nothing but trying to escape. I feed her, she keeps the cricket or mealworm in her mouth for like a day, or even as short as 5 minutes, and drops it and it’s STILL alive. I feel as though she cannot envenomate or something, because her prey always gets off the hook and is still alive and well. She keeps dropping her food and never kills it anymore. She is constantly been trying to escape this past week.
I honestly feel bad, maybe she needs to be released, but she’s been so good this whole year and now suddenly she’s acting this way. I really love her. But What’s wrong with her? I have a good feeling I have her home made wrong, any ideas or suggestions?
probably just pre molt never mind you said it was fully mature

Fincloser

Arachnopeon
My mature female wolf spider started acting weird earlier last month. She lost a leg (have no idea why just gone one day) but was still eating. About two weeks after the lost leg she stopped eating her food, just bite it and leave it. She passed at the first of the month. I can only assume it was old age, she was at least 2 years old. It seems very similar to the situation you are experiencing.