My Tityus stigmurus brood

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
My one Tityus stigmurus had a bunch of babies last week and they are almost all at 2nd instar already! I've had the mother from 2nd instar when I got her in October of 2016. Any tips from you veterans out there?

Here's a few pictures:

August 11, 2018 (First instar)
IMG_20180811_092926.jpg
August 12, 2018 (First instar)
IMG_20180812_120945.jpg

August 14, 2018 (Second instar, the scorplings don't glow under the UV flashlight yet)
IMG_20180814_201000.jpg IMG_20180814_201609.jpg

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Congrats Tom !
You can keep them communally or housed alone ( alone is the best option to keep as many as possible alive ) I've only ever seen 2 become cannibalized by siblings but 2 is 2 many if it can be avoided
you know how to care for them already so i won't offer any advice there lol

TomM

Old Timer
Well I feel like a complete idiot...

Most of the babies are leaving the mother's back so I've been separating them into individual tupperware. I moved five into their own containers, a few are still on the mother, and a few hid in the cracks of the bark in the mother's container. As I was transferring one of the scorplings to its new home, I must have injured it when I brushed it and it must have "bled" out and ended up dying only a minute or two later. :sorry: This only happened about an hour ago.

I've been keeping arachnids for a decade now, and I have never killed anything like this until now. I know mistakes happen, but I am still kicking myself.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Well I feel like a complete idiot...

Most of the babies are leaving the mother's back so I've been separating them into individual tupperware. I moved five into their own containers, a few are still on the mother, and a few hid in the cracks of the bark in the mother's container. As I was transferring one of the scorplings to its new home, I must have injured it when I brushed it and it must have "bled" out and ended up dying only a minute or two later. :sorry: This only happened about an hour ago.

I've been keeping arachnids for a decade now, and I have never killed anything like this until now. I know mistakes happen, but I am still kicking myself.
Sorry to hear that. At the very least, there are still lots of babies :) Sucks though, I personally love that species. Just to ask, are you going to keep them all? That'll be a lot of scorp to care for ;)

TomM

Old Timer
Sorry to hear that. At the very least, there are still lots of babies :) Sucks though, I personally love that species. Just to ask, are you going to keep them all? That'll be a lot of scorp to care for ;)
I am probably going to keep this batch, but I have another one that probably only needs to molt one or two more times before she starts popping out babies. I have a feeling that the very next brood I get will be up for sale/trade.

(I enjoyed translating the Japanese in your signature!)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I am probably going to keep this batch, but I have another one that probably only needs to molt one or two more times before she starts popping out babies. I have a feeling that the very next brood I get will be up for sale/trade.

(I enjoyed translating the Japanese in your signature!)
Figured someone would do that. Love curious people putting in time to know things :D Good luck with your future broods, I may be a buyer in the future... ;)

Laika

Arachnopeon
I hope this isn’t a dumb question, why don’t the babies glow under black light?

TomM

Old Timer
I hope this isn’t a dumb question, why don’t the babies glow under black light?
Not a dumb question at all! I had to google that when I first took the picture about a week ago. The answer is that baby scorpions' exoskeletons haven't hardened yet. I think it might be the same for a freshly molted adult scorpion too. I just checked and the babies are glowing under the UV light now.

Laika

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the answer, its so fun learning things about scorpions i didn’t know

Ryan86

Arachnopeon
How often do Tityus stigmurus have babies once they are able to? Is it a once a year sort of thing or once in their lifetime? Thank you for your help.