My Terrarium setup for Vietnamese Giant

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Terrarium setup for Vietnamese Giant And Action Shots :)

Hello there guys and girls, I finally decided while I was reading about pedes, that I might take my lil old 10 gallon to a whole new level for my pede. I have a 30 gallon in my garage that I used for my beardies, and decided to make a lil tiki theme with live minature palms and some other species of live plants, its unfortunate during my travels to pet shops and to blackmarket minerals, that I couldnt find live moss!!! that would of completed my whole setup! ahh well, anyway Im a firm believer giving space to my creatures, in this case I threw in my setup 4 bags of substrate to give depth to the ground if the pede decides to make tunnels, i sunk some cork bark into the substrate enough to have an enclosure underneath the bark in the substrate for a hiding spot, a half coconut dome also sunk into substrate to give a tight feeling for the pede and a sense of security. I added a temperature/humidity reader and a piece of vine. It sucks that my pede a couple of days ago, ate a huge hisser and thus making him quite lazy and want to sleep, so as soon as i let him go into his new terrarium, he immediatley tried to find a place to hide, he didnt find the pre made housing i made for him since he just wanted it right there right now, so he dug a hole by the palm tree. Humidity levels stay at a constant 40% which I dont know why if the substrate is very nicely damp, I might have to add heating pads but might not benefit since the substrate is several inches thick. Anyway im blabbering, hope u like. By that way, that fog there, i used a fogger on a timer to mimic foggy weather during morning hours, the fog turns on at 8 am and turns off at 8:20 am., it should look cool when the pede catches its prey in the fog i hope i can catch a shot when the pede permits. Temperature stays between 70-75 degrees farenheit, im trying to solve that issue to get up to 75-80, it should since I have a 100watt red heater bulb, well see.

Last edited:

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'd say put a layer of clean dry leaf litter will make it even nice
and in fact, keep the terrarium dry with additional water dish is much more convinient to clean
and the pede won't use the coconut shell but dig into the substrate

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well the pede uses it frequently, she used it on the first setup, she finally came out from her whole to investigate the area, heres some pictures couple minutes after i took those shots of the terrarium

Last edited:

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
leaf litter sounds like a really good idea, i would love to drop in some leaf litter but prone to getting mites?. what i might do is just boil the leaves and then bake it till they are dry but not crispy.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
isopods is the best idea to prevent mite investion, get all the polly rollies and snowbugs from ur area, just keep the leaf litter semi-dry with ocassionaly misting, it'll be fine
oh , remember to clean up the food remain after the meal

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow thats a really nice s.subspinipes!!!! Your setup looks great even without the centipede in, hehe!!!! The fogger really does add a nice effect.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea! Nice touch with the fogger. Where do you get those? That looks really good. I'm still working on my 10 gal too. I'm off to get a small orchid. Going to try to get it settled in on a wooden stump. Yesterday, I went to Home Depot and bought some thin Plexiglass. I cut it to fit the top of the screen top. It's sitting on top of the screen top right now. I have an aquarium light on top of that. Very humid in there. Is that a real Sago in the background? That sucker will get big. Guess you could keep cutting the leaves back. I found three different kinds of moss. Well, that's my stuff. I'll post a pick later. Nice setup! I'm really getting in to it. Going to take my time on each one. I want 5 to 10 eventually. I need some shelves. I still don't have any trop pedes. Nice sub!

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah its a sago palm, dont remind me how large its going to get lol, i got it because ive read about these that they are "living fossils" since they havent changed through evolution in the past 200 million years. Im sure you know that but for those of you who dont thats a sago :) you just inspired me to goto a nursery right now to buy some moss haha. As for the foggers, i bought two of them because i knew I can haggle prices with an asian store at Ontario Mills Mall in ontario, california. Its a little bonsai tree cart in front of black minerals market.
It has occured to the reptile pet industry, that these could be a major benefit for amphibians and inverts alike who like humid enviroments, so companies such as zoo-med has made a reptile version of a fogger. How I see it they are all the same, so buy one at a bonsai tree shop or goto a mall and see if they have those foggers, which are typically used as a stationary display with water and lights. I got two for 35 dollars there, but can easily run you 60.00. If you want one, I recommend, its really cool and if you are building a terrarium/vivarium would look damn sexy. Take pictures too of your setup your doing!

im going to add a working minature waterfall that resembles a rock formation. I know its alot of upkeep but i like to upkeep every part of my setup, not just focus on the pede ya know?

by the way, the plexiglass you mentioned, did you replace the wire mesh and hot glued a plexiglass rectangle to the lid? i want to do that since you got a good idea there, but what type of heating are you using? is your terrarium humid even without a source of heat?

Forgot to mention if by chance you do get a fogger at a shop, ask if they have a splash guard: a sample is provided below
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Reptile_Supplies/Product/Fogger_Splash_Guard_299110.html

These foggers throw a stream of water up in order to kick the fog out, with the splash guard you wont have dirty glass from dry water. I use Deionized water or (reverse osmosis water) so if it ever does get on my glass, it wont leave dry water marks.

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
crashergs said:
yeah its a sago palm, dont remind me how large its going to get lol, i got it because ive read about these that they are "living fossils" since they havent changed through evolution in the past 200 million years. Im sure you know that but for those of you who dont thats a sago :) you just inspired me to goto a nursery right now to buy some moss haha. As for the foggers, i bought two of them because i knew I can haggle prices with an asian store at Ontario Mills Mall in ontario, california. Its a little bonsai tree cart in front of black minerals market.
It has occured to the reptile pet industry, that these could be a major benefit for amphibians and inverts alike who like humid enviroments, so companies such as zoo-med has made a reptile version of a fogger. How I see it they are all the same, so buy one at a bonsai tree shop or goto a mall and see if they have those foggers, which are typically used as a stationary display with water and lights. I got two for 35 dollars there, but can easily run you 60.00. If you want one, I recommend, its really cool and if you are building a terrarium/vivarium would look damn sexy. Take pictures too of your setup your doing!

im going to add a working minature waterfall that resembles a rock formation. I know its alot of upkeep but i like to upkeep every part of my setup, not just focus on the pede ya know?

by the way, the plexiglass you mentioned, did you replace the wire mesh and hot glued a plexiglass rectangle to the lid? i want to do that since you got a good idea there, but what type of heating are you using? is your terrarium humid even without a source of heat?
good stuff man!
i think you are going to be like, disappointed when you see my collection.. my fanciest containder has two pieces of cork bark and a fake plant and that's it =P

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
haha you have alot of species, man when you going to call me i wanna check out your collection! look by your avatar, and down below with your location, we live in RIALTO :)
and by the way how do you customize your avatar?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
crashergs said:
haha you have alot of species, man when you going to call me i wanna check out your collection! look by your avatar, and down below with your location, we live in RIALTO :)
and by the way how do you customize your avatar?
i think the avatar settings are only available if you pay for an account, if you didn't have an account since like, late 2005 or so

*gets cell phone out*

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
cacoseraph said:
i think the avatar settings are only available if you pay for an account, if you didn't have an account since like, late 2005 or so

*gets cell phone out*
hey are you at yoru house?

i forgot to enter your c-phone # into my cell

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
haha you have alot of species, man when you going to call me i wanna check out your collection!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ha! Caco's like, "Yea, plants are green, now show me the pede!" Well, ding, dang, diddly!.... Orchids are expensive where I bought them. Bought two. Thinking about putting a medium sized centipede in there now. It wouldn't do as much damage and just seems better suited for it. I've never messed with orchids before. I put one at the base of the stump and strapped the other one on with fishing line a little higher up. I'm going to trim the old roots off if and when new roots grow and attach to the wood. The old roots are sticking out all over the place right now. And, no, I didn't take the screen off the top. I just cut the plexiglass so that it would just sit on top. That way, I can scoot it over a bit if it gets a little hot in there or too wet. Just sitting on top, that's all. Real simple. Right now it's too wet for any inverts I would say. I'm thinking it will help establish everything. Then I'll let some moisture evaporate out of there. Oh, and they had about four or five kinds of live moss for sale where I bought the orchids! And, by the way, I have some weird cycads (like a Sago) called Wilailak trees. Bought the seeds along time ago. Yea, cycads are pretty cool. More of a pine tree than a palm. That's when I got in to them. I realized the were in a class by themselves. Not even related to palms. Something strange...got to get it! I'll post my setup pic in another thread later.

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i know we all like pictures to relieve ourselves from reading threads, so here are some action shots, enjoy :)

Last edited:

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd say add some leaf litter and some Isopods for mold controll and you are set :D