My Tarantula keeps trying to escape

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So i got a Brachypma Verdezi about a week ago from his previous owner,he is about a year and a half old and the old owner never cleaned the terrarium out or anything so i finally did that and now hes more active...but he webbed his hide and now just tries to climb the walls is this normal? is he stressed? sorry hes my first T
Yes, No

Kiwigrey1998

Arachnopeon
Sounds like the OP might have a mature male. They are really restless. If the spider is 4” I’d fill the tank with enough dirt/coco fiber that it’s filled about 4.5 or 5 inches from the top.
i do have a mature male i know that much,the guy gave him to me after moving and he o ly knew what the oet store told him when he got it

boina

Lady of the mites
i do have a mature male i know that much,the guy gave him to me after moving and he o ly knew what the oet store told him when he got it
Why in the world would you get a mature male? Their only purpose in life is to mate. They feed only sparingly in the beginning and then stop completely, they run around all the time, they slowly waste away until they finally die after one or two years.

Mature males are for breeders.

Personally I've a few where I could't find a breeder who wanted them and I find it extremely sad to watch them while they are being extremely frustrated and are expending all their energy trying to get out of their perfectly fine enclosures until they die. It's nice of you to take him in, but if you really want a tarantula you can only make his last months as comfortable as possible - and get a female for your own fun.

Kiwigrey1998

Arachnopeon
Why in the world would you get a mature male? Their only purpose in life is to mate. They feed only sparingly in the beginning and then stop completely, they run around all the time, they slowly waste away until they finally die after one or two years.

Mature males are for breeders.

Personally I've a few where I could't find a breeder who wanted them and I find it extremely sad to watch them while they are being extremely frustrated and are expending all their energy trying to get out of their perfectly fine enclosures until they die. It's nice of you to take him in, but if you really want a tarantula you can only make his last months as comfortable as possible - and get a female for your own fun.
I got him for free as his owner couldnt house him anymore and i really wanted a tarantula,i recently got a B Albopilosum sling and i hope its a female,i will be really devestated if Xerxes(the verdezi) dies soon but ill take care of him until he does if thats the case