My Tarantula keeps trying to escape

Kiwigrey1998

Arachnopeon
So i got a Brachypma Verdezi about a week ago from his previous owner,he is about a year and a half old and the old owner never cleaned the terrarium out or anything so i finally did that and now hes more active...but he webbed his hide and now just tries to climb the walls is this normal? is he stressed? sorry hes my first T

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
It's normal for them to take some time to settle into a new enclosure. During this period they can seem a bit stressed. As long as you don't have too much distance between the substrate and the top of the enclosure it should be fine.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Also, just to add, age isn't something one uses when describing T's really (unless you know when they hatched). Tarantulas can grow at different rates due to temp. they are kept at, how often they're fed, individual growth rate, etc.

Kiwigrey1998

Arachnopeon
It's normal for them to take some time to settle into a new enclosure. During this period they can seem a bit stressed. As long as you don't have too much distance between the substrate and the top of the enclosure it should be fine.
Ah,thank you,i think i might need to do up a little more substrate for him but otherwise thanks for the headsup :)

Kiwigrey1998

Arachnopeon
Also, just to add, age isn't something one uses when describing T's really (unless you know when they hatched). Tarantulas can grow at different rates due to temp. they are kept at, how often they're fed, individual growth rate, etc.
right, i havent measured him yet but id say hes maybe...4 inches

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Ah,thank you,i think i might need to do up a little more substrate for him but otherwise thanks for the headsup :)
As a rule of thumb there should not be more than 1.5-2 times the legspan in climbing height for a terrestrial T. If you're unsure about your setup, post a picture of it and someone here will give some more specific advice.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
well thats his leg span, body length i just measured is about 2inches
Tarantulas, at least in the US (maybe Canada not sure @Venom1080), you go by DLS (Diagonal leg span). Still a bit larger to be a yearling.

Congrats on your T btw and welcome to the addictive hobby! ;)

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Are you sure it's not a mature male? Mature males will wander around no matter what. You could post a picture of his pedipalps if you're not sure.

boina

Lady of the mites
he is about a year and a half old
right, i havent measured him yet but id say hes maybe...4 inches
If you really got a B. verdezi (they are really rare) your tarantula is fully mature and could be anywhere between 5 and 25 years, likely more than 10 years, but most certainly not 1.5 years. B. verdezi is one of the smaller Brachypelma species and 4" is about as big as they get.

Yes, post a picture of the pedipalps. If the seller lied about either the age or the species (verdezi?!? - as far as I know I'm the only one on these boards who even has one, but maybe they are more common in Canada), well anyone the seller could have just tried to unload an unwanted male.

Btw., cleaning a cage of a tarantula is not ever necessary and generally not recommended.

arachnidgill

Arachnoknight
but maybe they are more common in Canada
Not sure how rare they are in Canada but there is currently a seller with 3-4" B. verdezi females for $190. Which seems cheap compared to their other Brachypelma prices.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Just a cursory check of some sellers’ sites that I use reveal at least two with B. verdezi slings available, one for $44. I’m actually contemplating snagging one.

boina

Lady of the mites
Just a cursory check of some sellers’ sites that I use reveal at least two with B. verdezi slings available, one for $44. I’m actually contemplating snagging one.
Do it. They are smaller, but they are one of the most fun Brachys. Mine is voracious, easily takes down large prey and is more active than most Brachys.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Do it. They are smaller, but they are one of the most fun Brachys. Mine is voracious, easily takes down large prey and is more active than most Brachys.
Thanks for being an enabler...temptress.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Sounds like the OP might have a mature male. They are really restless. If the spider is 4” I’d fill the tank with enough dirt/coco fiber that it’s filled about 4.5 or 5 inches from the top.