My tarantula is twitching. Is she sick?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It looks like it doesn't like the footing, to me.

As otherd have said, posting photos of the entire enclosure will help...

Sannah

Arachnosquire
Yes, but you need to soak them to expand, and after that you need to let the the substrate dry out which takes some time. Don't add too much water in one go. For one spider it would be easier to just get a bag of the stuff so it is already dry :)
I used the blocks because we already got them. I let them soak in a bit of water and i added a bit at a time until it all expanded. Then i re-made the enclosure and let it dry out overnight. I did squees out any extra water. I will post a picture of what it looks like now after i let it dry overnight. It doesnt look dry enough though.

Attachments

Eva

Arachnosquire
I used the blocks because we already got them. I let them soak in a bit of water and i added a bit at a time until it all expanded. Then i re-made the enclosure and let it dry out overnight. I did squees out any extra water. I will post a picture of what it looks like now after i let it dry overnight. It doesnt look dry enough though.
One night is hardly good enough, unless you live in an oven. Either bake it, or give the spider a temporary enclosure and wait for... i don't know... a week at least?

RonC

Arachnopeon
Maybe a layer of bone dry substrate on top. Oven would be the quickest remedy for too much moisture. Spread out in the sun will work too but slower. If you can't put it outside in the sun set it in on a sunny window sill inside.

Sannah

Arachnosquire
Maybe a layer of bone dry substrate on top. Oven would be the quickest remedy for too much moisture. Spread out in the sun will work too but slower. If you can't put it outside in the sun set it in on a sunny window sill inside.
I just baked the substrate and put her in the enclosure. She isnt twitching anymore and seems fine. I tried feeding her again but she did not eat. Her abdomen does not look shriveled to me so im not too worried

Attachments

boina

Lady of the mites
I just baked the substrate and put her in the enclosure. She isnt twitching anymore and seems fine. I tried feeding her again but she did not eat. Her abdomen does not look shriveled to me so im not too worried
Could it possibly be that you overdid it somewhat with the substrate? Yes, I know, a tarantula should'nt have too much height to fall from, but I'd think it needs at least 1x its leg span in height. The pic may be misleading but to me it looks as if it would nearly touch the lid when it is on.

Sannah

Arachnosquire
Could it possibly be that you overdid it somewhat with the substrate? Yes, I know, a tarantula should'nt have too much height to fall from, but I'd think it needs at least 1x its leg span in height. The pic may be misleading but to me it looks as if it would nearly touch the lid when it is on.
The lid has some height to it aswell. Also i put the substrate heigher at that end where the hide is.