1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My tarantula is twitching. Is she sick?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Sannah, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Sannah

Sannah Arachnopeon Active Member

UK
    Advertisement
    This is my first tarantula and i have had her for about 2-3 months. I got her when she was 5 months. I think she is a b.smithi but it just said red knee on the tub. Anyway she has not molted since i got her, but i think she might be in premolt now. She has not eaten for almost a month but i cant tell if her abdomen in getting bigger. But she has been twitching her legs. Is this normal for premolt?

The substrate looks really wet but thats what it was like when i got it. I am going to get a better substrate for her.

2. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking Active Member

It looks very wet in there. This species should be kept dry.

It may have fallen ill due to stagnant conditions.

Can you post a picture of the full setup ?

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    No, that twitching is not normal for premolt. You tarantula may very well be ill. It's kind of a miracle it survived on that wet substrate for as long as it did.

Oh, and it's not 5 months old - more like 5 years. A 5 months old red knee tarantula is the size of a penny, including legs.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

Doesn't look that alarming to me, might just be reacting to the light from your phone...pre molt spiders can move around oddly.

I agree that its too moist in there though.

5. Sannah

UK
    When you touch the substrate it doesnt feel wet and no watet gets on your hands. This is what the pet store owner gave me, and i have not wet it at all. I also searched it up and it has good reveiws

6. boina

Germany
    I needs to be dry - as in really, completely dry, maybe with one moist corner. Pet store owners usually have no clue.

'No water gets on you hands' is not an argument at all.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Phormic28

Phormic28 Arachnoangel Active Member

Pet stores are notorious for giving out wrong info. This is an arid species that isn’t found in moist environments, it’ll slowly die if kept in those conditions. Switch out the substrate to bone dry cocofiber/peat moss/etc. and the water dish will provide all the ‘moisture’ it needs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sannah

UK
    Ok i will get a better substrate for her thanks

9. MissouriArachnophile

MissouriArachnophile Arachnosquire Active Member

Couldn't you take the substrate out and dry it ? Throw it on a flat pan at 170 in the oven. Kill anything that may be in it and dry it out.

10. Sannah

UK
    Ok i will try that first and if it doesnt work i will get new substrate. Will it kill springtails? Because there in the enclosure too.

11. MissouriArachnophile

MissouriArachnophile Arachnosquire Active Member

Ya it would , the enclosure doesn't need to be moist enough to need them I believe.

12. boina

Germany
    Yes, it will kill the springtails. But if the enclosure supports springtails then it is definitely bad for your spider...

Springtails -> high moisture
    'Red knee' Brachpelma -> very little moisture
    Ergo: they cannot possibly live in the same enclosure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoking Active Member

This is a arid desert species , you don’t need anything but a waterdish and a log or cork bark to crawl on.
    Very slow growing too, hope yours can recover never seen twitching in this species .
    Dry it’s dirt out for sure !!!:hilarious:

14. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

The leg movement is similar to what I observed when a T is irritated by grain mites. Check your container for mites.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Sannah

UK
    I have springtails in there it could be them.

16. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

Can you post pictures of the spider and of the whole set up? Petstore employees are notorious for giving bad advice.

17. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

That wont work for a Brachypelma smithi as they require a dryer enclosure, which will not support springtails...save these for a moisture loving species.

18. Sannah

UK
    My mum ordered some eco earth blocks. Would they be ok?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

Yes, but you need to soak them to expand, and after that you need to let the the substrate dry out which takes some time. Don't add too much water in one go. For one spider it would be easier to just get a bag of the stuff so it is already dry :)

20. MrTwister

MrTwister Arachnosquire

Looks like it’s trying to flick a chunk of wet substrate off it’s foot.

• Agree Agree x 1