My tarantula acting weird

Pink E

Arachnopeon
Hi, I have a question about my tarantula, bought my first tarantula last week grammostola iheringi unsexed at a pet shop. It was fairly cheap because it was unesexed but it was still big. Before I bought my first tarantula I watched a lot of videos on youtube tips and everything so I can take care of him/her. My tarantula hasnt molted yet, the T ate 5 crickets, before I bought it I bought a coconut hide for it on the internet after the first day it went inside spending most of the day inside. Webed it even webed the entrance a little bit. I tought it was going to molt but it didnt. I replaced the tarantulas hide because I tought it was too small for him/her, after I put a flower pot for a hide he/she doesnt want to use it most time of the day he/she is climbing the glass and trying to escape I've put back the coconut hide still doesnt want to use it now he/she has 2 hides in his/her terrarium. Still doesnt want to use them. Im very new to the hobby any suggestions would help thank you for reading.

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Sounds like it’s just settling in. Just leave it alone to do it’s thing. Constantly changing things around in the enclosure will probably make it wander even more.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I'd fill the tank up with some more dirt/coco fibre, it could hurt itself in a fall if there is more than 1.5 x the diagonal leg span of the spider between the top of the ceiling and the top of the substrate. This looks like typical tarantula behaviour, especially with the new environment. I'm sure it'll web and settle back into one of the hides soon. It's just a bit overwhelmed right now, I think.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
A tarantula is less likely to use a hide that’s too large, rather than too small. It’s tempting to imagine the animal having a nice roomy hide to stretch out in, maybe walk around, watch tv, etc. But tarantulas are the exact opposite of people. A large hide is not a secure hide. They like cramped quarters. It allows them to feel their surroundings better.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I agree that you just need to leave them alone to adjust. Making changes all the time is going to delay them acclimating. Also, I find my Grammostola iheringi female does do a lot of moving around and exploring, even when she has already made herself at home. They are more active than some of the other species in the genus... at least mine is.