1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My T is chillin with a fruit fly,

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by michael nelson, Feb 13, 2018.

1. michael nelson

michael nelson Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    My antilles pink toe is chillin with a fruit fly and wont eat it, its a very small sling and I figured fruit flies were good food, shes not eaten in like 3 weeks, and is only 3/4 and inch so idk if its just a pretty long premolt or what, but its kinda funny to watch

2. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnobaron Active Member

Some ts are good eaters some aren't.
    I have a 3cm juv that has only eaten 3 times since I got it and that was last October.

3. michael nelson

thx, so thats normal, nothing to be scared about?

4. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

Assuming it's not just in pre-molt, try another feeder insect. (Fruit flies don't have much meat on them anyway.) Baby roaches, baby mealworms (or diced larger mealworms), pinhead crickets -- any of these might elicit a better feeding response.

Obligatory "photos of the tarantula and its enclosure will help rule out any other issues."

5. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnobaron Active Member

I doubt it's anything to be concerned about, like you said it's probably pre moult. That's likely if the sling was eating fine before hand.
    Also slings can go through painfully slow pre moults, my vagans and boehmei sling had a 1.5 month pre moult.
    The vagans eventually moulted and didn't eat for 2 weeks after.

6. michael nelson

0213180138.jpg

Attached Files:

7. michael nelson

The cage isn't super ideal, and the sling is in that hinge area, thats why I taped it off, really hard to see the T with the reflection, but its got a little hideout and seems pretty happy, I worry that its too arid because we have excessively dry winters in utah(logan) and it can get as low as 10% humidity, additionally my apartment get a tad chilly, since its aboreal I do have a heating pad under the tank, and I try to water the substrate every once in a while to promote a bit more humidity and I monitor the temp (stays about 76 degrees F near the bottom) but since the T is higher up I wonder if it gets too cold

8. Ungoliant

How big is the sling? That enclosure looks huge.

The enclosure also needs leaves (mostly near the top) to serve as cover and anchor points for webbing.

Although not everyone agrees that that screen/mesh lids are hazardous for arboreals, I would personally replace or cover it.

These two threads contain helpful information:

Don't worry about humidity. Avics (and their cousins Caribena versicolor) do fine in drier setups as long as they have access to water. (I wouldn't even keep the hygrometer, as it just encourages humidity chasing, and it's not likely to be accurate anyway.)

76 °F is fine for this species. If the room gets too cold, use a space heater.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. boina

boina Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

Germany
    Your tarantula probably hasn't found the fruit fly in that huge enclosure. In a large and bare enclosure a spider often hides in one corner and doesn't really come out, not even to feed - and that's the problem.

Possible solutions:

1. Get your tarantula a better enclosure
    2. Feed your tarantula better food, i.e. prekilled roach, mealworm, or cricket, placed as close to her web as possible. Fruit flies have nutritional deficiencies.

A heat mat under the tank is pretty useless for an Avic - any possible heat generated is not likely to reach the tarantula. Heat mats taped to the side may just cook your spider if it's too close.

My suggestion would be:

1. Put your sling in a deli cup with plenty of fake leaves and plenty of ventilation.
    2. Put the deli cup in your Exo terra
    3. Tape your heat mat to the side of the Exo terra.
    4. Leave some space between the heat mat and the deli cup with the sling so that the sling gets a safe amount of secondary heat without overheating and dehydrating.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Ant

Ant Arachnopeon

o_O Who suggested you put a sub-1" sling in that enclosure? Or was it just a lack of research? Follow everything @Ungoliant and @boina said above and I'm sure your T will thrive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Its not just not ideal...its all wrong....that is an adult enclosure...you do not have an adult.

Set it up in something smaller, like a 16 or 32oz deli cup. Lean a piece of wood and surround the upper half with plants to both provide cover, and anchor points to promote webbing. A properly set up versi sling will begin webbing almost immediately.

Not the way you want to add additional heat. If you are using a heating pad, heat a larger enclosure, then put the new deli cup set up, within that larger enclosure. This turns the direct heat into a safer secondary heat. You never want a heat pad touching the ts enclosure. This is easy with a deli cup, as you can just heat a tub and place the deli cup within that larger tub.

This is a problem....damp kills these slings (all avics or avic related slings)...the first thing that happens in a damp stuffy enclosure (like care sheets wrongly recommend) is the stops eating, then becomes lethargic...then ends up on the floor and dies shortly thereafter. Its a sad process we see regularly with people trying to follow care sheets or pet store advice.

You want things predominantly dry, with good ventilation.
    I understand the dry thing, we all deal with that in the winter, but damp sub isn't the solution...instead give a LIGHT half spritz on the walls, or ideally, the webbing, like once or twice a week. This isn't for humidity (that's not required), this is for a convenient drinking opportunity.

Fruit flies are nutritionally deficient and can cause issues long term...best not to use them...versis are excellent eaters (as long as they are comfortable)....small crickets are easy....if you keep the floor clear, it will be easy for the t to hunt them....too much floor clutter just gives prey places to hide away, making hunting them more difficult, if not impossible.

Best of luck.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  12. michael nelson

I dont saturate the substrate I just give it enough water to evaporate a bit, my enclosure is a little too well ventilated so I do this to make up for the extremely arid utah conditions(10 to 20%) additionally the enclosure is large but it has many hiding places and my T is observable while fairly comfortable, my house is usually around 76 degrees cause I like it warm, but even for a sling 10% humidity is a bit too low, so the continual evaporation from the substrate makes it about 50-60% humidity which is hardly stuffy, water doesnt collect anywhere in the enclosure, I know its not a traditional set up but my T just molted and seems to be doing awesome so I dont want to screw up her web to move her, especially seeing as esi is very sensitive right now, I doubt little tiny containers are what they naturally live in in the jungle, and I doubt the negative effects of a large enclosure are really even valid, the haeting pad provides just enough heat to promote humidity so I doubt any harmful effects will come from that, and the spider stays opposite the heating pad anyway. I appreciate the help though, but I believe that you misunderstand, I haven't relied on any care sheets, I purely created an environment based on what I've learned on here and my understanding of physics and common sense, I believe a tiny enclosure is not necessary and some humidity is good, but I do not make it stuffy and the spider does have a very nice little mini enclosure it's made for itself. Thanks for the advice about fruit flys though, just have very limited options in my area and I dont want to buy online due to issues with price and not being allowed to care for additional "pets"(food) but if my T dies, I will feel real stupid and take back most of what I've said, I believe though that my care is top notch

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Sad Sad x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  13. Ungoliant

Honest question: if you believe your care is top-notch, why are you asking for advice/seeking reassurance?

• Agree Agree x 7
  14. Ant

Ant Arachnopeon

Translation - I'm right and those of you who have been keeping T's longer than I've been alive, are wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. boina

boina Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

Germany
    I the jungle 99% of slings die, and one reason they die is because they don't find food...and the jungle may even have a higher prey density than your enclosure. So if you are trying to recreate those conditions there is a rather good chance your versi may actually starve to death. They don't go hunting far from their web and a large enclosure provides tons of good hiding spots for the prey, too.

Re: Humidity in the jungle: Did you remember to provide the wind/air movement that goes with high humidity in the jungle?

The idea that you want to set up your spider like 'in the jungle' is about as absurd as it gets.

Well, if water actually was collecting anywhere in the enclosure your spider would be as good as dead, so it's really nothing to brag about if it doesn't. It only means that you are not actively trying to kill your spider... Do you know why people used to think SAD (= sudden Avic death) was a thing?

And most importantly:

Do you really, seriously think you are the first one to ever try this? Wow, you must really think everyone else is incredibly stupid. A lot of people have tried, especially in the early days when we didn't know better. Then we found out it usually doesn't work and therefore people talked about it and started to change the husbandry to something that actually keeps your spider alive. Now you want to recreate all the mistakes of the past because you are convinced you are so much smarter than absolutely everyone else... Just wow.

Remember to post a note when your spider is dead.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Love Love x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Belegnole

Belegnole Tarantula Guy Old Timer

WI
    @michael nelson

Something to chew on: You asked for advice and then dismiss it. It sounds a bit like you may be anthropomorphising. Look it up if you don't already know what it means. Just like many I do it a bit, just can't help it I guess. But, you have to remember what is best for you is not the same as what is best for your T. In fact some of the things that allow T's to thrive in captivity sound just wrong until you understand them. Small T's thrive in a smaller space, but usually don't in large spaces. They don't find their food and often behave as if stressed. So, don't feel bad about putting a T in a small container, it's actually better for the animal.

Also, we try to mimic the natural environment the animals come from. But in many cases cannot. Because of this we build an environment that creates the highest level of safety and survival for the different tarantulas we keep. These have been found through trial and error, even now we are still learning.

You have two Moderators here who both have there positions due to the respect of the community. If they give you advice, it's most likely correct. Follow it until you have more experience and your T's will be better off.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  17. darkness975

darkness975 Dream Reaper Arachnosupporter

That sling needs a deli cup. The enclosure is in is mire than just too big. It is gargantuan .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Garth Vader

Garth Vader Arachnohipster Arachnosupporter

The folks on here who took the time to provide you with feedback and information on your enclosure and your feeders know what they are talking about. I am baffled that you would blow off sound advice from experienced keepers. I really hope you reconsider and follow the helpful information provided and I hope your T thrives. We all hate to think of a T not doing well because of things that can be easily prevented, like husbandry errors.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Arachnoknight Active Member

I sincerely hope that your tarantula does well. Nobody buys a pet and deliberately sets out to have it die, and not following conventional advice is how breakthroughs in husbandry are made, however there are times to experiment and times to listen .
    To the moderators and others giving advice, no advice is wasted, others are learning by reading this thread, and if the OP fails there is something to be learned from that too .

• Like Like x 3
  20. Swoop

Swoop Arachnosquire

Texas
    ????

The people you would have learned from are the ones on this thread telling you your set-up isn't right. 10 year old topics might be concerned with humidity but nothing recent supports anything about that set-up.

• Like Like x 2